What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys v Warriors - Rd 12 Gameday

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Wow, that one hurts.

Another one that got away. Have to say I thought CHT was really bad today. It’s becoming more and more clear that he offers very little to this team. On two occasions he gave absolute hospital passes as he doesn’t read the game. He gets an idea in his head and he does it, regardless of the game situation. Rugby fans will automatically think of Steven Donald, had the same issue, just doesn’t respond to what is happening around him.
Offers very little on attack, we actually looked better when Sean O’Sullivan was in the team.

3 changes:
SOS in for CHT
Curran in for Tevaga (Murchie on bench)
AFB for JFB

WellsNZ

Juniors
So why are we moving RTS out of WFB to fit Walsh in so we can accommodate CHT again?

Because he was the half back at the start of the year was the reason Brown threw up originally. That reason not really stacking up at this point.

I love Chanels heart and toughness, but we can't carry a 7 for that.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I posted on another forum a few weeks ago, I had a look at a few weeks, I think rounds 5-9, and out of the 40 games, only 1 game was won where none of the teams 4 props didn’t make over 100m.

Tonight, none of ours did. Again. I think out of the last 7 weeks, we’ve had 4 props make 100m or more (out of a possible 28 opportunities). I don’t care what team you are, you’re not going to win if none of your props are doing their main job on the field.

Plus a halve who literally adds nothing but defence, it’s a wonder we are struggling

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I posted on another forum a few weeks ago, I had a look at a few weeks, I think rounds 5-9, and out of the 40 games, only 1 game was won where none of the teams 4 props didn’t make over 100m.

Tonight, none of ours did. Again. I think out of the last 7 weeks, we’ve had 4 props make 100m or more (out of a possible 28 opportunities). I don’t care what team you are, you’re not going to win if none of your props are doing their main job on the field.

Plus a halve who literally adds nothing but defence, it’s a wonder we are struggling

Theoretically a good point, but I didn’t see us struggle for go forward at all tonight. We had no problems at all making metres. Issues were about execution by the halves, defence, dropped ball, penalties and a sin bin.

Crowd seems small, time slot not great for 3 hour drive for fans.

Atikens try very easy draw and pass by Nikoirma after back rower defending at centre turned in off the back of a 7 tackle set restart.

6-0

Holmes loses ball, captains challenge, Murchie hands on ball has it called a strip.

Penalty gets them starting on halfway.

Walsh throws bouncing dangeous ball dead.

Holmes throws ball out, winger a little to in field.

Egan slaps Robson across the nose, lucky not a bin in recent times. Penalty sits Cows in our 30m.

RTS caught in goal off a grubber.

Grubber forces another drop out Walsh taking it dead.

Feldt in the corner, didn't number up right, Chanel and Pompey on the same man.

6-6

Egan with a poor choice to hit a Evans vs going out back on last

Walsh cops a shoulder/upper arm to head, no penalty as falling into tackle. Hmm rules softening??

6 again for Montoya not being let go trying to play it.

End of sets beem poor.

Kick charged down, knocked back, Holmes nearly gets it Katoa there to disrupt it, strip on Montoya gets knocked on by Cows.

Pompey knocks on a flat pass at the line from Walsh.

Drinkwater knocks ball on but kicks it before it hits grown.

Feldt goes up for ball and disrupts Montoya, really goes early but looking at ball he had no chance of getting, comes off Montoya shoulder. Called Warriors ball, challenged and Cows get ball back.

Cows go in the corner, really shouldn't have been there.

10-6

Katoa loses ball in tackle on halfway looking to offload after bending the line.

Backed up with a Jazz idiot late shot after ball passed, replay apparently showing a whiplash of the neck so he got 10 mons in the bin!!!

f**k off Jazz.

Luckly drinkwater loses ball in LAM tackle.

6 more early in tackle count for us.

Nikoirma puts ball down a pass on last, having a look at defensive line.

Grubber from Cows goes dead when being lunged at by them.

2nd offload by Katoa that goes to ground and ends up with Cows after he made it through the line.

Followed by Pompey crusher tackle penalty.

Grubber thru chased as no fullback home and scores for Cows.

16-6

Cows back to back, Katoa not back to second marker, allows marker to run, Walsh missed Drinkwater who runs away to score.

22-6

Hard half to watch with dumb mistakes and penalties with terrible ends to sets. Poor half of football.

Walsh swinging elbow after an elbow in the face shown at halftime might be interesting during the week.

12 years since Cows lose after scoring more than 20 points in first half.

Cows knock on a bomb, Chanel throws offload in tackle as ref doesn't call 6 again, lucky Nikorima holds it.

Cows kick at pass and looks like a knock on, Cows don't challenge.

Walsh off scrum gets centre interested,gets RTS dancing and Aitken over in corner.

22-12

Egan gets set restart as Cows not square at marker.

Cows get restart as to long in tackle.

WOW!!!! Walsh runs 90m for Montoya grubber gather, but faded as Lukie got him at the 15m mark by collar and looked like he taking him into touch, but gets it down in the down.

Nikorima on fire with Conversions tonight.

22-18

Spread on kickoff, I like it.

Walsh down after defusing a bomb takes Clifford down who lands an elbow on his hip.

Chanel thinking of a 20/40?

Bomb comes down, knocked back by Cows for Jazz to knock it on the ground on our 20m.

Pompey stays down after pile of Cows on him, Jazz goes in for a push and shove.

Pompey crushed by Gilbert.

Unde huge pressure there.

Only chew off 20m on kick.

Great kick by Nikoirma that looked to be going out and bends back and RTS nails Holmes in goal!

Walsh throws a near intercept to Bowen who knocks it down.

Montoya scores with a step inside Feldt coming out. Walsh with the final pass!

22-22 Nikorima misses an important one.

18mins to go.

Walsh down holding head, scuffle ensured

Limited force so on report and penalty.

Not taking the 2.

Big Ben scores with a barge over against littler men off dummy half pass.

22-28

13min to go.

Feels like early kick out after points trying to defend the lead.

Arg, Egan gets LAM thru a gap and he throws it away to Brown on ground for Cows to get on halfway.1st mistake of the half. Didn't need it.

Cows lose the ball 10m out.

Chanel kicks out again, with 9mins on clock.

Granville loses ball in Egan tackle and Jazz regathers.

Nikoirma kick to deep caught in goal, 7 tackle for cows.

Nikorima and Tohu had a Liverpool kiss and Nikoirma nose bleeding, my eyes watering.

No way, Cows down the left and everyone falls off tackles, Aitken misses, Walsh slips and Nikorima slips off foot. Felt Harris looking in there.

28-28

3 mins left.

RTS off HIA.

LAM lucky there, not to be penalised.

Take the one off the scrum!

NO we don't! Are we stupid????

Chanel misses it from in front.

Holmes nails if from 40m out, could of gone for 60m.

29-28

RTS knock on the short kickoff.

Game over.

Start strong, stay strong, Warriors! I'm sick of wild rides. If I wanted a wild ride I'd get in a time-machine back to 1983. My older brother's mate had just turned 15, left school to work as a screen printer, had money and took us both to the A & P Show one night.

We went on everything, all those sick-inducing, white-knuckle contraptions, including the Ferraris (sp) at the same time as members of the local Mongrel Mob.

Give me nice and easy these days. Warriors 28-10, never in doubt.
The wild ride continues

jaseg

Juniors
The more I watch CHT, the more I think he might end up at lock in this faster game. He seems similar to guys like Connor Watson and Wade Graham - who started their careers in the halves but just didn't have the ability to effectively control sets with any sort of consistency, and weren't quite big enough playmakers to contribute otherwise.

He has the defense. He'll need to put on a few pounds, but I suspect that's where he needs to end up to maximize his career, unless a light bulb miraculously switches on. Would do a damn sight better than Jazz, anyway.

He had the chance to win it and f**ked it up - and I'm not even talking directly about the missed FG... more the complete lack of control throughout that set was the real killer. That was the systemic issue that keeps showing up. You're the halfback, and the other half is off the field. The game is in your hands. Own it. Infuriating.

We don’t know how to finish sets and we don’t know how to finish games.
Chanel was trying with kicking out, but that's when you are up by more the 6 point!

Scrum should of had a field goal off it straight away. I guess they wanted to take time off the clock.

Have we practiced field goals?

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Theoretically a good point, but I didn’t see us struggle for go forward at all tonight. We had no problems at all making metres. Issues were about execution by the halves, defence, dropped ball, penalties and a sin bin.

You didn’t see us struggle for go forward? None of our forwards, interchange included, ran for over 100m.

5 of there’s did.

It’s not the be all and end all of our team, but absolutely one of the reasons they were up 16-6 with a few minutes to go before half time. From minutes 10 to about 40 were our worst. Jazz was off for 10 of those, but we were terrible in that time.

A better forward pack would of had us ahead IMO

I know this is against the grain, but we’ve been the better team in most of our games this season and have had multiple shocking, last minute defeats. All this with massive injury woes. We’re actually playing good footy most of the time. It’s the same old frustration, but different.
It's the 10-20mins of poor decision in defense and dumb penalties. 5th tackle options not smart, trying to grubber thru 3 sets of legs, going to area to flat forwards.
What options a outside of Chanel do we have? His defense is solid tho.

Reading between the lines at Browns press conference Jazz on thin ice with Katoa.
His post match conference are always very honest and seemingly accurate, no BS.

Rich102

Staff member
My thoughts are that Brown's not up to the job. Along with the other coaching staff
We significantly improved our squad in the off-season yet they look clueless under pressure.
As for his love affair with Jazz = get a room.

Blair

Coach
Crowd seems small, time slot not great for 3 hour drive for fans.

Atikens try very easy draw and pass by Nikoirma after back rower defending at centre turned in off the back of a 7 tackle set restart.

6-0

Holmes loses ball, captains challenge, Murchie hands on ball has it called a strip.

Penalty gets them starting on halfway.

Walsh throws bouncing dangeous ball dead.

Holmes throws ball out, winger a little to in field.

Egan slaps Robson across the nose, lucky not a bin in recent times. Penalty sits Cows in our 30m.

RTS caught in goal off a grubber.

Grubber forces another drop out Walsh taking it dead.

Feldt in the corner, didn't number up right, Chanel and Pompey on the same man.

6-6

Egan with a poor choice to hit a Evans vs going out back on last

Walsh cops a shoulder/upper arm to head, no penalty as falling into tackle. Hmm rules softening??

6 again for Montoya not being let go trying to play it.

End of sets beem poor.

Kick charged down, knocked back, Holmes nearly gets it Katoa there to disrupt it, strip on Montoya gets knocked on by Cows.

Pompey knocks on a flat pass at the line from Walsh.

Drinkwater knocks ball on but kicks it before it hits grown.

Feldt goes up for ball and disrupts Montoya, really goes early but looking at ball he had no chance of getting, comes off Montoya shoulder. Called Warriors ball, challenged and Cows get ball back.

Cows go in the corner, really shouldn't have been there.

10-6

Katoa loses ball in tackle on halfway looking to offload after bending the line.

Backed up with a Jazz idiot late shot after ball passed, replay apparently showing a whiplash of the neck so he got 10 mons in the bin!!!

f**k off Jazz.

Luckly drinkwater loses ball in LAM tackle.

6 more early in tackle count for us.

Nikoirma puts ball down a pass on last, having a look at defensive line.

Grubber from Cows goes dead when being lunged at by them.

2nd offload by Katoa that goes to ground and ends up with Cows after he made it through the line.

Followed by Pompey crusher tackle penalty.

Grubber thru chased as no fullback home and scores for Cows.

16-6

Cows back to back, Katoa not back to second marker, allows marker to run, Walsh missed Drinkwater who runs away to score.

22-6

Hard half to watch with dumb mistakes and penalties with terrible ends to sets. Poor half of football.

Walsh swinging elbow after an elbow in the face shown at halftime might be interesting during the week.

12 years since Cows lose after scoring more than 20 points in first half.

Cows knock on a bomb, Chanel throws offload in tackle as ref doesn't call 6 again, lucky Nikorima holds it.

Cows kick at pass and looks like a knock on, Cows don't challenge.

Walsh off scrum gets centre interested,gets RTS dancing and Aitken over in corner.

22-12

Egan gets set restart as Cows not square at marker.

Cows get restart as to long in tackle.

WOW!!!! Walsh runs 90m for Montoya grubber gather, but faded as Lukie got him at the 15m mark by collar and looked like he taking him into touch, but gets it down in the down.

Nikorima on fire with Conversions tonight.

22-18

Spread on kickoff, I like it.

Walsh down after defusing a bomb takes Clifford down who lands an elbow on his hip.

Chanel thinking of a 20/40?

Bomb comes down, knocked back by Cows for Jazz to knock it on the ground on our 20m.

Pompey stays down after pile of Cows on him, Jazz goes in for a push and shove.

Pompey crushed by Gilbert.

Unde huge pressure there.

Only chew off 20m on kick.

Great kick by Nikoirma that looked to be going out and bends back and RTS nails Holmes in goal!

Walsh throws a near intercept to Bowen who knocks it down.

Montoya scores with a step inside Feldt coming out. Walsh with the final pass!

22-22 Nikorima misses an important one.

18mins to go.

Walsh down holding head, scuffle ensured

Limited force so on report and penalty.

Not taking the 2.

Big Ben scores with a barge over against littler men off dummy half pass.

22-28

13min to go.

Feels like early kick out after points trying to defend the lead.

Arg, Egan gets LAM thru a gap and he throws it away to Brown on ground for Cows to get on halfway.1st mistake of the half. Didn't need it.

Cows lose the ball 10m out.

Chanel kicks out again, with 9mins on clock.

Granville loses ball in Egan tackle and Jazz regathers.

Nikoirma kick to deep caught in goal, 7 tackle for cows.

Nikorima and Tohu had a Liverpool kiss and Nikoirma nose bleeding, my eyes watering.

No way, Cows down the left and everyone falls off tackles, Aitken misses, Walsh slips and Nikorima slips off foot. Felt Harris looking in there.

28-28

3 mins left.

RTS off HIA.

LAM lucky there, not to be penalised.

Take the one off the scrum!

NO we don't! Are we stupid????

Chanel misses it from in front.

Holmes nails if from 40m out, could of gone for 60m.

29-28

RTS knock on the short kickoff.

Game over.

At the end I just felt a bit ill ;-)

hitro

Juniors
Chanel was trying with kicking out, but that's when you are up by more the 6 point!

Scrum should of had a field goal off it straight away. I guess they wanted to take time off the clock.

Have we practiced field goals?
reckon Walsh would be able to slot a field goal

Their last try annoyed me, as 2 of our best in defense stuffed it up.

Screenshot_20210529-045838_Kayo Sports.jpg
Tohu doesn't trust RTS to get his man, who got to his outside, Tohu comes in, causing Aitken to look in.
Screenshot_20210529-045903_Kayo Sports.jpg

Centre on Tohus outside shoulder and winger same on Aitken.

Screenshot_20210529-045939_Kayo Sports.jpg

Atiken stretched to get to winger and falls off tackle.
Screenshot_20210529-045959_Kayo Sports.jpg

Good night nurse!

SmashEmBro

Juniors
My thoughts are that Brown's not up to the job. Along with the other coaching staff
We significantly improved our squad in the off-season yet they look clueless under pressure.
As for his love affair with Jazz = get a room.

Unfair IMO. We’ve lost 2 by 1 point this year, and another one by 6 that I feel we should have won.

I don’t think he’s a super coach, but he has us going in the right direction. Player execution and performance has been letting us down big time. The last 6 games or so we’ve had a 10-25 minute period where we’ve fallen off tackles, made errors, dumb penalties, poor defence etc. Thats not the coach, that’s the players.

And to be fair to the players, I think injuries have killed us this year. No chance to build combinations and trust with the guy next to you.

Latest posts