What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Young and personal reference for Finch

Or was he given a golden handshake and now off to the Cowboys Board? Lots of experience to offer them.
I wouldn’t think he was paid out.

He could either be stood down in a dignified manner or be figuratively shot in the head with a disgrace filled sacking.

Another option for him in his release was the time honoured “family reasons”

The excuse you give when you want to hide the truth.

But Albert went nuclear.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
Reading the statement with its specific wording makes me suspicious:
step down from his position on the club board.

So....to me they have only committed to removing him from his current position on the club board....not any other position in the club board or from the club in general.

You know it wouldn't be possible to secretly keep him on the board right?

Also,

Young’s replacement on the board will be named in due course.

Rod Coil

Juniors
You know it wouldn't be possible to secretly keep him on the board right?

Also,

Young’s replacement on the board will be named in due course.

Yes it would unfortunately. Without being too technical, he could still sit on either the St.George Leagues Club Board and/or the St.George District Club Board & not be on the NRL Club Board. It is a tangled web.

Maximus

Coach
Yes it would unfortunately. Without being too technical, he could still sit on either the St.George Leagues Club Board and/or the St.George District Club Board & not be on the NRL Club Board. It is a tangled web.

That wouldn't exactly be secret when anyone can pay $9 or $18 to see that information.

Anyway, change has likely been made on the football club. He's presumably the 484 on the 1st or 3rd

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB PTY. LIMITED

No change yet on the other 2

ST GEORGE DISTRICT RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED

ST. GEORGE LEAGUES CLUB LTD

It’s up to Albert.

If he cares about the club, he will find a voluntary role somewhere and put in.

If he doesn’t want to participate any longer, I’d say that his perceived betrayal by other board members has got to him and/or he only sees the value in doing something for a reward of some kind.

Behind all the glamour of the paid board and officials are hundreds of volunteers and others putting in for nix or at cost to them.

That’s why when people of high station spit the dummy, there’s not a lot of understanding or sympathy.

They get the resources to follow the club that the rank and file only dream about.

Albert going ballistic in these circumstances, it’s not so unusual, but I think it’s not going to help his cause. A few deep breaths and some composure might have won more hearts. I might have a shot at a resignation press release later as I would have done it.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I am not sure Craig can see the problem. If he wants to write a personal reference for Finch, we'll, that is his business. Just no use of club letterhead and absolutely no indication that the reference has anything at all to do with the Dragons. He keeps saying he would do it again and the letterhead use was "an error in judgement". To me is is minimising the issue and doesn't grasp how much he has offended most Dragons fans.

Alberts recourse to “ standing by his mates whatever” doesn’t really hold up.

There’s got to be a limit to friendship, depending on the issue.

They say Epstein had a lot of mates who sat back and watched him abuse girls and young women for a long long time.

Albert can say it’s not the same, but the mateship principle was there in spades.

Panthers having to sack May only when Sponsors and a few brave men stood up ( including brandy).

As for Albert resigning on his own terms, for his own reasons, the alternative wasn’t very pleasant.

He wasn’t resigning before his indulgence was he?

Albert seems to have lost his sense of perspective. He’s taking it very hard. That’s his choice.

I think the club would have been served better, if he’d been a bit more contrite, constructive and big hearted about it. You can tell he’s not getting good pr. He’s committing pr suicide.

And given his history at the club, it’s about all he knows.

The club or the nrl can’t be seen as having anything to do with Young Finch. It’s not rocket science?

Last edited:

saints4ever

First Grade
Young wouldn't be getting PR. As much of a legend on the field he was, off the field he's been nothing but a disaster.
He can't coach.
He's a terrible administrator, as this latest debacle shows.
He inspires no confidence as chairman.
He had player managers refusing to talk to him as head of recruitment.
His moto/mantra of "free food and drink there's no excuse" after this year's awards shows that he is the epitome of what's currently wrong with the club. It's the 70s still in his head. There's massive problems with the club and he's a big reason why.

Craig Young should have been patted on the back, hand wrung extensively at all legends events and fan meet and greets and should have been in the stands or on the sideline in 2010 to share that incredible moment with his son.

And that should have been the extent of his involvement with the club. He's one anchor that's finally been cut free. Let's hope it's for good.

Gareth67

First Grade
Apparently he was due to step down from that role this month anyway.

Something to do with a rotation of board members , so as Rod Coil has suggested he may very well still be gainfully employed in yet another role .

There is one vacancy that comes to mind , that being recruitment ? ?

Last edited:

possm

Coach
If Doust is sacked from the Board it will mean two vacant positions that are still available to fill. Now if the Board filled one of those vacancies with a Red V member (voted for by all Red V members), then things could be heading in the right direction.

All that would be needed to get the ball rolling would be to:
1. Appoint a top-quality board member to replace Doust.
2. Sack Griffin
3. Sign Hasler/Brown to fill vacant coaching/recruitment positions.