What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crappy Movie Sequels

T.S Quint

Coach
Oh, just remembered a couple more:

Blues Brothers 2000 - had none of the charm and fun of the original. Nowhere near as good a soundtrack either.
Bad Boys 2 - The first one wasn't exactly a masterpiece, but the second one did nothing but insult my intelligence.
Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen: Same as above.
Crocodile Dundee In Los Angeles: Not much needs to be said about this abortion.

vvvrulz

Coach
Star Wars Prequels - I know, they aren't actually sequels. But they came after the originals and are so incredibly bad that I'm putting them on here anyway. Some incredible special effects aside, they are some of the worst movies ever to hit the big screen. The writing, directing, editing, acting and stupid fan service is deplorable. Funny thing is, I love the originals so much that I convinced myself that these prequels were actually good for a period of time. I just wanted them to be good so badly.

Bit harsh, I always thought episodes II and III were not especially bad and got more right than wrong. Episode I is garbage of course on every front barring Darth Maul whom they stupidly killed off.

The originals themselves are very guilty of dodgy writing and horrible acting too, especially ROTJ. Lots of convenient plot hacks, interesting characters wasted, Ford as bored as ever and of course the bloody ewoks. Take away the nostalgia and look at it fresh and its at prequel level.

Only Empire really hit the nail on the head for me.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Bit harsh, I always thought episodes II and III were not especially bad and got more right than wrong. Episode I is garbage of course on every front barring Darth Maul whom they stupidly killed off.

The originals themselves are very guilty of dodgy writing and horrible acting too, especially ROTJ. Lots of convenient plot hacks, interesting characters wasted, Ford as bored as ever and of course the bloody ewoks. Take away the nostalgia and look at it fresh and its at prequel level.

Only Empire really hit the nail on the head for me.

Episode 2 was pure trash.

Episode 3 was borderline ok, but his descent into madness was laughably bad and the posterboy for bad story telling.

To be honest though, I've never understood the fanfare star wars gets. All of the movies are poorly written, don't get me wrong, I loved them as a kid. However, Lucas can create an interesting universe, he can't write dialogue for shit though.

vvvrulz

Coach
Episode 2 was pure trash.

Episode 3 was borderline ok, but his descent into madness was laughably bad and the posterboy for bad story telling.

Episodes 2 & 3 imo had the plot points all sorted out and with better writing would have played out just fine. But yes the writing was atrocious (esp the "love story") and in turn this led to horrible acting which ruined the whole thing. Hated the Yoda - Dooku fight.

T.S Quint

Coach
I don't want to put words into KTF's mouth or anything, but I'm guesing that scene annoys him for the same reason it annoys me.

Doc Ock needs Peter alive so he can find Spider-Man.
The only reason Peter survives the car being thrown at him is because of his spider-sense and reflexes, which Ock doesn't know he has.
Very cool looking scene, but utterly stupid and makes no sense.

Unbelievably corny dialogue aside, the rest of the movie is pretty good though.

Just watched this movie again on the weekend.
The rest of the movie is not pretty good at all. In fact, it is mostly awful.

It does not hold up over time.

LESStar58

Referee
Has anyone seen the first two Human Centipede films?

I don't have the stomach to see either but apparently the second one is terribleShe's female friend of mine saw a screening of it here before It was banned. .. while she was eight months pregnant with her third child. Shes an old school horror fan but she was laughing all the way through it and at the end someone pipped up "anybody wanna go get something to eat"?!?!

^:lol:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Episodes 2 & 3 imo had the plot points all sorted out and with better writing would have played out just fine. But yes the writing was atrocious (esp the "love story") and in turn this led to horrible acting which ruined the whole thing. Hated the Yoda - Dooku fight.

I'd pretty much agree. I actually quite enjoyed Ep 2, largely because there were long bits where Hayden Christiansen wasn't on the screen. The Yoda v Dooku fight was pretty silly though. Ep 3 was pretty much ruined by HC's awful ham acting.

I'd rate the whole series as follows:

1: Empire (pretty much totally awesome)
2: A New Hope (some cheesy parts but still great and a landmark in cinema)
3: Jedi (enjoyable but let down by Hamill's acting and Ewoks)
4: Attack of the Clones (some fun bits, some cringeworthy shite)
5: Sith (ok storyline completely ruined by horrible dialogue/acting)
6: Phantom Menace (utter, complete garbage. Even Darth Maul was a shit character, though he looked cool and had a cool fighting style)

Last edited:

natheel

Coach

Dogs Of War

Coach
A lot of sequels mentioned in this thread aren't really all that bad, but just don't compare to the originals.
Also, I wouldn't even count straight-to-dvd sequels. They are obviously not going to be any good and nothing more than a lazy cash-in. Has there ever been a good one?

Thinking of good sequels.

The Devils Rejects (House of 1000 corpses sequel)
Die Hard 2
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (Best of the series)
Evil Dead II (Much better than the first)
Terminator 2 (best of the series)
Rocky 2 (Nearly as good as the first)
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (End of the trilogy)

Only common thing is that they are the exception not the rule.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Has anyone seen the first two Human Centipede films?

I don't have the stomach to see either but apparently the second one is terribleShe's female friend of mine saw a screening of it here before It was banned. .. while she was eight months pregnant with her third child. Shes an old school horror fan but she was laughing all the way through it and at the end someone pipped up "anybody wanna go get something to eat"?!?!

^:lol:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-human-centipede-2010

I am required to award stars to movies I review. This time, I refuse to do it. The star rating system is unsuited to this film. Is the movie good? Is it bad? Does it matter? It is what it is and occupies a world where the stars don't shine.

Best end of a review I have ever read. Don't watch the movie.

Springs

First Grade
The first one isn't bad because it's disturbing. It's bad because it's just plain boring. You'd think with a title like that they'd at least have a gory, gross-out movie like Hostel or something but the whole movie is just pretty much 'hey look, we stuck three people together ass to mouth!'

Usain Bolt

Bench
Any Home Alone movie without Macauley Culkin.

Die Hard 1-3 were awesome. Should have stopped there, the last 2 have been terrible.

T.S Quint

Coach
Thinking of good sequels.

The Devils Rejects (House of 1000 corpses sequel)
Die Hard 2
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (Best of the series)
Evil Dead II (Much better than the first)
Terminator 2 (best of the series)
Rocky 2 (Nearly as good as the first)
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (End of the trilogy)

Only common thing is that they are the exception not the rule.

Obviously there have been plenty of good sequels - those you mentioned as well as others like Godfather Part 2, X Men 2, The Dark Knight...

What I meant was are there any good straight-to-DVD sequels.
I haven't seen any.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Basketcase 2 is a great sequel. The cheesy monster count skyrockets, including the BIG GIANT OPERA SINGING MOUTH and the SOCKPUPPET MONSTER BABY!!! Basketcase 3 isn't too bad either, but I don't really remember too much about it.

Love a good cheesy horror!

Last edited:

legend

Coach
I'd pretty much agree. I actually quite enjoyed Ep 2, largely because there were long bits where Hayden Christiansen wasn't on the screen. The Yoda v Dooku fight was pretty silly though. Ep 3 was pretty much ruined by HC's awful ham acting.

I'd rate the whole series as follows:

1: Empire (pretty much totally awesome)
2: A New Hope (some cheesy parts but still great and a landmark in cinema)
3: Jedi (enjoyable but let down by Hamill's acting and Ewoks)
4: Attack of the Clones (some fun bits, some cringeworthy shite)
5: Sith (ok storyline completely ruined by horrible dialogue/acting)
6: Phantom Menace (utter, complete garbage. Even Darth Maul was a shit character, though he looked cool and had a cool fighting style)

Absolutely spot on!

legend

Coach
Aliens and Empire are about the only ones to succeed their predecessor IMO. Die Hard 2 was an awesome flick and was very close to the original in terms of quality. Rocky 2 beats Rocky IMO.

T.S Quint

Coach
Die Hard 3 much better than Die Hard 2, imo.

X Men 2 is much better than the original. Same with Captain America 2.
The Dark Knight is better than Batman Begins as well, I think.

Sequels that outdo their originals isn't as uncommon these days as it once was.