What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crikey! How bad is Benji Marshall?

betcats

Referee
Widdop is shell shocked - what happened after that first month???

Came in hear to ask this. Watching his first few games in the ugly red v I was very jealous you got him but since then) I havent seen him do a thing. Playing behind probably the softest forward pack going doesnt help obviously.

Also I heard the amount of touches Benchy and Widdop each had last game, benchys was like double th amount of touches then Widdop, that aint good imo.

possm

Coach
Behind a pack like SOuths or the Bulldogs I believe he would still be good. But not ours, that's why I was against the signing.

Simple, just get rid of the soft forwards and replace them with some real ones.

jenninga

First Grade
Came in hear to ask this. Watching his first few games in the ugly red v I was very jealous you got him but since then) I havent seen him do a thing. Playing behind probably the softest forward pack going doesnt help obviously.

Also I heard the amount of touches Benchy and Widdop each had last game, benchys was like double th amount of touches then Widdop, that aint good imo.

Now please listen carefully,after you do your homework you can watch a little telly,then it will be time for din dins and you can watch the first half of the footy then it's off to bed with you.

DRAGONSNZ

Bench
Now please listen carefully,after you do your homework you can watch a little telly,then it will be time for din dins and you can watch the first half of the footy then it's off to bed with you.

Crikey! how good was Benji Marshall

The Chef

Juniors
Let's get real here. We played an injury-plagued scum tonight. But a win is a win and we'll take the two points and some confidence out of it. Hope we string some wins together.

GT0007

Juniors
I think everyone can get off Benji's back for a week as he was the best player on the field. His defence has been great every game and has shut down some dangerous situations. Dugan was great at centre and if/when he does back to fullback I think his cetre experience will make him a better player. Quinlan also has a very good game and you really need to watch what he does off the ball to appreciate why he is so good at backing up. I watched tonight as he ran thru the line backing up and by the time we had played the ball he had sprinted back into position for the next play. It's called effort on effort and wins you games

Kuro

Juniors
Benji played a very good game due to the platform the forwards lay (ie. because beat the Sharks pack)

dragonreddy

Juniors
I think everyone can get off Benji's back for a week as he was the best player on the field. His defence has been great every game and has shut down some dangerous situations. Dugan was great at centre and if/when he does back to fullback I think his cetre experience will make him a better player. Quinlan also has a very good game and you really need to watch what he does off the ball to appreciate why he is so good at backing up. I watched tonight as he ran thru the line backing up and by the time we had played the ball he had sprinted back into position for the next play. It's called effort on effort and wins you games

Interesting your take on Quinlan every time i saw he received theball he got rid of it well before the defence ,i didn't see any of his backing up converted into ball carrying meters gained ,to me he looks scared to go to the line.

TheRev

First Grade
Yep pretty much we have spoken about during the week.. Benji brings the only x-factor we have (aside from a Dugan run or Merrin offload to Quinlan), virtually every opportunity tonight was from Benji, Widdop is a great player in his own right (or will be), but Benji had me guessing tonight with some of his passes close to the tryline.

Still plenty of work to do obviously, and the halves looked much better tonight due to the forwards out-muscling their reserve grade opponenets.. but my thoughts are:

o Dugan @ Centre: Pro's & Con's... Dugan brings a lot of power which is great, and aerial skills.. all good.. I dont think he will ever have a great passing game so his winger will struggle.. honestly NSW would be crazy to select him, he needs 3 months minimum to get his timing in defence and offence, he makes tonnes of mistakes being relatively new to the position (and thinking like a fullback). He'd probably make an ok Winger too.. as long as he came in to do plenty of work and use that big frame of his.

o Quinlan @ Fullback: Goes hand in hand with the above, but damn I love seeing him chasing our forwards, set up 1 brilliant try tonight running perfectly onto a ball and straightening and was there on several other occasions where the offload didnt come but he was in the clear.. the guy is a points machine in the making... but he suffers badly in his kick returns where you just wish Dugan could be doing it.. Quinlan also needs the forwards going forward.. getting the defence on the backfoot and allowing him to make those 2nd phase plays.

Makes me think about the possibility of doing something like the Roosters.. Dugan dropping back in defence, then Quinlan takes over in Offence.. not really sure if its feasible though..

BrissyRedV

Bench
Both our halves looked a lot better with a pack going forward for once but they still need time to adjust and combine. We still are not getting much quick play the ball and defences seem to be able to rush up at will on them and shut them down. Kicking game was much improved by them as well.

DRAGONSNZ

Bench

Ye mate, didn't go unnoticed by me, I saw it a couple of times he would be up beside the forwards waiting for the offload and as soon as they were tackled he was sprinting back out wide to get back outside the halves and create the extra man. He does a lot of things that go unnoticed but HE IS VERY SMALL and looks scared to bring the ball back from kicks, he was always looking for his wingers, which meant the Defence was already up o them by time he had run across to them.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Ye mate, didn't go unnoticed by me, I saw it a couple of times he would be up beside the forwards waiting for the offload and as soon as they were tackled he was sprinting back out wide to get back outside the halves and create the extra man. He does a lot of things that go unnoticed but HE IS VERY SMALL and looks scared to bring the ball back from kicks, he was always looking for his wingers, which meant the Defence was already up o them by time he had run across to them.

My bold prediction is that Quinlan will end up winning a premiership as a coach. Best footy brain in the team.

Puff2010

Juniors
I agree with SmoothSaint. Given a half decent forward pack our halves would set up our backline. Our forwards only just handled in the injury riddled Sharks

St Georgio

Juniors
I agree with SmoothSaint. Given a half decent forward pack our halves would set up our backline. Our forwards only just handled in the injury riddled Sharks
They tried so many number 7s, thank god for Benji, Witt and Williams no where near his class, Benji will make mistakes, but on his day he's awesome and can win you a Premiership.
All we need is some Grunt up front and a Premiership winning coach and 2016 is ours for the taking, maybe next year.
1. Bennet
2. Smith
3. Henry

TruSaint

Referee
Many of us ( myself also) have been critical of Marshall.

I thought last night against a poor side i know, he was all class.

Didn't overplay his hand, some beaut touches, and involved in 5 of our 6 tries. Enigmatic players will make mistakes, but they will win you more than they lose. Duges must have thought Christmas came early with some of those passes.

Well done Benji. Let your footy do the talking.

jenninga

First Grade
Interesting your take on Quinlan every time i saw he received theball he got rid of it well before the defence ,i didn't see any of his backing up converted into ball carrying meters gained ,to me he looks scared to go to the line.

If you watch Adam closely he is the only one backing up for the offload,especially every time Merrin takes it up.

macnaz

Staff member
Many of us ( myself also) have been critical of Marshall.

I thought last night against a poor side i know, he was all class.

Didn't overplay his hand, some beaut touches, and involved in 5 of our 6 tries. Enigmatic players will make mistakes, but they will win you more than they lose. Duges must have thought Christmas came early with some of those passes.

Well done Benji. Let your footy do the talking.

Key point.. he will win more games then he will lose , for sure he has errors , but thats natural when you are constantly trying things .. when Benji does 10 good things then a silly kick the haters only ever want to remember the error. Every week the team understands his game the better he will look.

St Georgio

Juniors
Key point.. he will win more games then he will lose , for sure he has errors , but thats natural when you are constantly trying things .. when Benji does 10 good things then a silly kick the haters only ever want to remember the error. Every week the team understands his game the better he will look.
Dugan understood his plays last night, which pleasing to see and crucial for all the right reasons.

Latest posts