What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crime Command Takes Over NRL Betting Inquiry

Mr Fourex

Bench
Tandy's involvement just got a little more sinister.

I thought for a while he may have been just a young dumb merkin who got caught up with the likes of his manager and his manager's friends

It's starting to appear unlikely that that's the case.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ng-accused-denies-charges-20110825-1jb79.html
Fourth NRL betting accused denies charges
Georgina Robinson
August 25, 2011 - 11:30AM

A Maroubra property manager charged over the NRL betting scandal has pleaded not guilty to trying to dishonestly obtain almost $50,000.

Gregory Adam Tait, 38, did not arrive in time for his mention in Downing Centre Local Court this morning.

He is charged with two counts of attempting to dishonestly obtain financial advantage by deception on August 20 and 21 last year.

Police allege he tried to dishonestly obtain a financial advantage of $18,906 from Centrebet in Sydney sometime on August 20.

They also allege he tried to dishonestly obtain a financial advantage of $29,004 from the New Zealand Racing Board sometime on August 20 or 21.

His solicitor David Carroll entered a plea of not guilty on Mr Tait's behalf.

Police have alleged Mr Tait placed bets on the first scoring option in the Round 24 match between the Canterbury Bulldogs and North Queensland Cowboys in August 2010.

He also is alleged to have arranged for a woman in New Zealand to place bets on the same scoring option on his behalf.

The police prosecutor today told Magistrate Jane Culver that investigators needed more time to compile the brief and were waiting on evidence from New Zealand.

Magistrate Culver adjourned the matter to October 20. Tait is excused from appearing on that occasion.

A hearing date for NRL player manager Sam Ayoub was also set down in the same court on November 28. It is expected to last seven days.

Mr Ayoub, 49, has been charged with attempting to gain a financial advantage by deception in relation to the match.

Rugby league identity John Elias and Bulldogs player Ryan Tandy have already been charged in relation to the alleged incident.

Tandy, 29, is accused of attempting to manipulate the first scoring points of the match to dishonestly obtain a financial advantage of $113,245 from Tabcorp for Ayoub, Elias and others.

Tandy was penalised two minutes into the game in Townsville for impeding Cowboys playmaker Grant Rovelli in front of the posts, after the then Bulldogs forward had spilled the ball and given away possession.

The Cowboys were awarded a penalty but took a tap kick instead of kicking for goal and scored a try.

Elias, 48, is charged with attempting to gain a financial advantage by deception.

All the accused have pleaded not guilty.

- with AAP

skeepe

Immortal
Witness implicates Ayoub in bet scandal
Chris Barrett
October 1, 2011

THE key witness in the NRL betting scandal, Brad Murray, alleges in a statement tendered in court that player agent Sam Ayoub told him last year's Bulldogs-Cowboys game had been ''set up'' and he instructed him to place bets for Ayoub on the exotic first point-scoring option.

On a dramatic day during which Ryan Tandy took to the witness box in his own match-fixing case, another witness, Townsville bar owner Joel Solinas, said in a statement that Ayoub had ''conveyed to me that the bet was a sure thing''.

Magistrate Janet Wahlquist will release her verdict in the Tandy matter next Thursday. Ayoub has also pleaded not guilty to charges of trying to gain financial advantage by deception - as has former first-grader John Elias and Tandy's former real-estate agent, Greg Tait.

Neither Murray nor Solinas were in Downing Centre Local Court yesterday but had statements tendered by police.

Murray, a former halfback at Parramatta who finished the season in the Newcastle competition, alleges Ayoub told him during a conversation in his kitchen to place bets on the Cowboys to score first with a penalty goal in the August 21 game.

The 21-year-old was living with Ayoub, his agent, at the time. Murray said in the statement: ''Sam said words similar to: 'The game has been set up for the Cowboys and the Bulldogs. It has been set up for that to occur and I want you to put these bets on for me.'

''After Sam told me that the game had been set up, I got a piece of paper that was in the kitchen area. I also grabbed a pen and started to write. Sam said words similar to: 'Here are the bets I want you to put on, they are multi bets.'''

Murray's statement added that Ayoub had asked him to put the bets on at different locations, which he did on August 19, 2010. ''After this, Sam handed me an amount of money. From memory it was $750 in $50 notes,'' he said. ''Sam did not tell me that I would be given anything for placing the bets for him. I was just putting them on for him as a favour. On the Thursday I placed three separate bets with the money that Sam had given me.''

Murray admitted he also had his girlfriend place a bet on the Cowboys option at the Gerringong Bowling Club the next day. He said he had been ''naive'' and ''turned a blind eye''.

Solinas, the owner of the Rhino Bar in Townsville, said he was a friend of Ayoub's and had been advised to wager on the option during a conversation at the city's Watermark restaurant on August 19. Solinas subsequently placed bets at the Midtown Hotel.

''I cannot remember the exact words he spoke to me but he conveyed to me that the bet was a sure thing,'' Solinas said.

Tandy, meanwhile, spent two hours in the witness box discussing in detail his role in the first two minutes of the controversial match as well as the $30,000 debt the prosecution claims was a motive for his alleged involvement in the huge plunge. He has pleaded not guilty to manipulating the first scoring point of the match to dishonestly obtain a financial advantage ''for Sam Ayoub, John Elias and others, to win $113,245 from Tabcorp''.

Under cross-examination by Sergeant Mark Watson, the 30-year-old former Canterbury prop was asked about the tackle on Grant Rovelli that gave the Cowboys the chance to open the scoring with two points. Tandy had run from the left side of the field to make the tackle with hooker Michael Ennis . He denied he gave away a penalty deliberately by lying on Rovelli.

''It's my job to do that - I'm the openside prop,'' Tandy said.

Tandy said he was not involved in betting on the match in question but has been accused of placing a wager on his first game for the Bulldogs, played against the Gold Coast on June 18 last year. He told the court that bet had been placed ''on behalf of others''. ''In my mind it wasn't my bet,'' he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...bet-scandal-20110930-1l1dm.html#ixzz1ZVAIg7Bo

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Magistrate is said to be dealing with another matter, Tandy has left the courtroom.

Be interesting to see if Tandy rolls over to avoid gaol, others implicated in this will be currently shitting bricks I'd imagine!

Hooch

Juniors
What's the bet the sleaze who masterminded it (we all know who it is) gets off scot free?

I'm surprised he got convicted actually, most of the evidence seemed circumstantial.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
a MASSIVE $4k fine and 12 months good behaviour

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...andal-court-case/story-e6frexnr-1226159949067
Ryan Tandy found guilty of trying to fix 2010 match between Canterbury Bulldogs and North Queensland Cowboys.

Lisa Davies The Daily Telegraph October 06, 2011 12:10PM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
Email

Former NRL Bulldogs player Ryan Tandy leaves The Downing Centre Court, he is facing charges in relation to illegal bets placed on an NRL match he played in. Picture: Cameron Richardson Source: The Daily Telegraph
UPDATED: Ryan Tandy has been convicted of match fixing, fined $4000 and placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond.

Tandy appeared in court last week, but Magistrate Janet Wahlquist deferred a decision until this morning.

In delivering her verdict, Magistrate Wahlquist said there was a clear case he was involved in a plan to make money off the first scoring play of the game.

He appeared devastated as Magistrate Wahlquist said the prosecution had proven its case that he dishonestly attempted to obtain a financial advantage by deception.

The maximum sentence for such a charge is five years' jail.

Tandy was found unsuitable for community service because of the knee injury which has seen him arrive at his past few court appearances on crutches.

Game 'set up' for Cowboys
Throw fixers in jail: Arbib
Buzz's Top 50 most dramatic moments
Tandy's barrister said the sentence would be appealed.

Tandy had pleaded not guilty to manipulating the first scoring point of the match "for Sam Ayoub, John Elias and others, to win $113,245 from Tabcorp".

JOIN OUR LIVE BLOG HERE

Tandy, then a Bulldogs forward, was penalised two minutes into the game for impeding a Cowboys player in front of the posts during a 2010 match, after Tandy spilled the ball and gave away possession.

The Cowboys were awarded a penalty but took a tap kick instead of kicking for goal, and scored a try.

Magistrate Wahlquist said the case was a circumstantial one, but there was "no other reasonable hypothesis" for the evidence before her.

"It's clear that there was a plan to try and manipulate the first score in the game," she said.

"Ryan Tandy's role was to do all he could to make sure the Cowboys scored first by kicking a penalty goal ... the prosecution case has been proven."

After finding the case proven, the magistrate requested Tandy be assessed for suitability for community service - an option his knee injury ruled out.

His barrister Tony Bellanto QC submitted Tandy was sacked from the Bulldogs following the allegations of match fixing that rocked the NRL, but his client was determined to rehabilitate and get back on the field.

The incident occurred in a 2010 match between his former club the Bulldogs and the North Queensland Cowboys.

Last week, the court also heard that Tandy had a wager on another NRL game, as well as placing bets on behalf of a former Sydney Morning Herald reporter.

innsaneink

Referee
He appeared devastated???

I'd have been jumping for joy, crutches or not

Lucky lucky boy....go buy yourself a lotto ticket Ryan

$4k + 12 months good behaviour - I guess in the overall scheme of things outside the game, what he did is not a huge big deal. However for the integrity of the sport it is massive, and there should be no question that Tandy and all others involved should be banned for life from anything remotely to go with rugby league.

Weak. Should have expected it though. Basically got away with it in legal terms. In footy terms his career was pretty much over anyway.

Out of curiousity would any league governing body ever register a contract from him?

Disgusting sentence as well, and pretty shitty the people that were just as involved never got prosecuted.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Out of curiousity would any league governing body ever register a contract from him?

Disgusting sentence as well, and pretty shitty the people that were just as involved never got prosecuted.

dunno if it's a disgustingv sentence

pretty sure jockey's have done similar and not gone to jail

google "jockey tapes" and Jim Cassidy

Last edited:

Sleep

Juniors
He still has to deal with the matter relating to lying to the police so he's not out of the woods yet.

Latest posts