What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla Sharks - Bailouts

Do I really care which did it? No! Do I know him? No! My point is only that I have read more crap, insults and innuedo in here from many others who don't appear to cop much from you guys.

The collective brain capacity from some members is akin to that of children under 6 years of age. Not most, but some and frankly it makes this forum far worse for the experience.

This is why I will not enter into "discussion" or attempt to state a case with them, rather attempt to bring myself to their intellectual level by posting comments, which they clearly don't like. Such as "stupid thread"

If my opinion that it is a stupid thread is so threatening that even an Admin has to have a shot about it, then that just about sums up the inequity and stupidity of both "some" members and "some" Admin's.

You guys don't need to ban people to lose members, you only need to join the minority of idiots and bag people for having an opinion.

Again, this is a STUPID THREAD!

nuthead

Juniors
In 1992 the NSWRL provided loans to Clubs at below market interest rates as follows:

Illawara - $1,000,000
Gold Coast - $1,000,000
Canberra - $1,000,000
Newcastle - $500,000
Cronulla $500,000

They also provided a guarantee to the bank for Norths for an overdraft facility of $400,000.

Grants to NRL Clubs that year totalled $7,879,000. The top three were:

1. Penrith - $865,000
2. Canberra - $821,000
3. Norths - $628,000

Souths rec'd the lowest grant that year of $302,000

Source: ARKO. My Game. Ken Arthurson Autobiography. Published 1997.
gee whiz, will ya look at that, more than one club was actually bailed out. Would'nt believed it unless I seen it.

Vossy

Bench
Can someone tell me what years Cronulla went broke, and why the NSWRL bailed them out? (Was it twice?)

Would you expect the NRL to bail them out if they continue to be in financial difficulty in the next few years? Afterall the scum was bailed out by the NSWRL then joined traitor league - ended up surviving suspect criteria when they offered SFA. Five foundation clubs got the flick and they survived. They are more scum than Manly.

its the internet damnit! tone is difficult to detect!

Tone is not as difficult as spelling........Damn it!

For all you dropkicks who missed the 'tone' of Fraser, you can go back to 1976 to find out an answer to his dribbling question.

http://www.sharksforever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8227

btw Fraser, didn't scum Manly break away from scum Norths in '47, only to put liquid in each others funnels in 2000? That would make Norths one foundation club that didn't get the flick, as you attempted to misconstrue. They merged buddy. Correct me if I'm dribbling like redback, but the sequence of events goes something like this....Norths-->Norths/Manly--->Northern Eagles---->Manly, but no Norths.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but even I know that your club deserved what they got for signing up with the enemy. You won't catch my Club going to bed with the goons........Fools like you have the audacity to question our NRL playing Club........Do you need help on the potty too?

Scum always rises to the top.........Maybe your lot will join us there one day bahahahaha

Don't be scared of the new Vossy, girls..I won't lick the sand out of all your vaginas :D

Last edited:

Jasdragon

Juniors
Haha ..Sharks get the last laugh.
I will say it again,what is St Georges future funding? It supposedly coming from the HUGE supporter base.
Enjoy your $500/ year membership Willow and Co.

So deluded! :lol:

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
so can someone clarify for me the old chestnut where the Dragons bailed out the Sharks?

I have heard it many times from Dragons fans ...as soon as I press them for any info they can't supply anything.

gee whiz, will ya look at that, more than one club was actually bailed out. Would'nt believed it unless I seen it.

Yep, that's true. The good thing is, that apart from annual grants, Easts don't figure on that list. No wonder the NRL don't want to kick us out. We're one club that they don't have to dig into their pocket every year to keep afloat.;-)

Generalzod

Immortal
so can someone clarify for me the old chestnut where the Dragons bailed out the Sharks?

I have heard it many times from Dragons fans ...as soon as I press them for any info they can't supply anything.

That's because the story is a myth like the Dragons..

Pierced Soul

First Grade
serious q, at the start of the year there was all this talk about the sharks financial probs, how they may even struggle to make it through the season etc, losing sponsors etc

now a few months on i havent heard anything, did they get money from somewhere or are they still in dire financial probs?

Smithtown

Coach

As has been mentioned before (on WORL anyway), monetary help was provided to Cronulla by Saints in 75/76 via a third party. Not a bailout as such but some short term necessary help.

The motivation behind any help was due to a very highly rated person in the Cronulla Club at the time who had a long and successful history at Saints.

Not a big deal either way and not worth anyone making any mileage out of it either. Just respected RL men helping each other.

carcharias

Immortal
As has been mentioned before (on WORL anyway), monetary help was provided to Cronulla by Saints in 75/76 via a third party. Not a bailout as such but some short term necessary help.

The motivation behind any help was due to a very highly rated person in the Cronulla Club at the time who had a long and successful history at Saints.

Not a big deal either way and not worth anyone making any mileage out of it either. Just respected RL men helping each other.

That is not the version I get told.
I am talking about the late 80's or early 90's.

so ...anyone got any link or anything to prove this story?

Smithtown

Coach
That is not the version I get told.
I am talking about the late 80's or early 90's.

so ...anyone got any link or anything to prove this story?

Late 80's early 90's is very very unlikely.

Saints had their own issues back then, and the men involved with both Clubs at the time didn't have the necessary connections or understanding. I could be wrong but never heard of it.

I'de suggest someone has got hold of the 70's story and translated it to a time period they understand.

adamkungl

Immortal
serious q, at the start of the year there was all this talk about the sharks financial probs, how they may even struggle to make it through the season etc, losing sponsors etc

now a few months on i havent heard anything, did they get money from somewhere or are they still in dire financial probs?

Roosters became more interesting to deathride

coolumsharkie

Referee

now a few months on i haven't heard anything, did they get money from somewhere or are they still in dire financial probs?

Most of that was hyped up to death ride mentality for the purposes of sensationalising a story from a Sydney Tabloid rag.

Truth is Sharks problems are more short term than long term financially.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Still waiting for a jersey sponsor for 2010. Still waiting for approval for the DA to build on Woolooware.

Jasdragon

Juniors
Most of that was hyped up to death ride mentality for the purposes of sensationalising a story from a Sydney Tabloid rag.

Truth is Sharks problems are more short term than long term financially.

:crazy:Short Term! :lol: Sharks have had money problems for decades, sounds like long term to me!

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
St George supporters make me laugh, Some years back I remember how they wanted to merge with the Roosters...I guess St George were short on cash....