What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As long as the integrity of the NRL competition is compromised through the origin period, attendances of games involving the absence of the home team's stars will be well below par.
Correct. However, I take issue with:
Stop using the smallest irritation as an excuse for not going to the game.
You'll find that most people on this forum don't worry about small irritations stopping them from going to games.

The problem with irritations (such as weather, certain players not playing etc), is that families in particular, one of the biggest markets in the game, are likely to be put off by the cold, or the wet, or if Lockyer isn't playing, or any range of things. That's why crowds drop - the core fans still attend - while the general fans who might come now and again generally drop off. Unfortunate, but a fact of life.

BDGS

Bench
Is that Northern end of Mt Smart ever going to get a proper grandstand? That hill looks like it's 481948kms away from the playing field.

They built a temporary stand there for an U2 concert before.

Serc

First Grade
What's the excuse? overcast? players out? gone away for the long weekend? Pisses me off.

Weather has been a problem here in the last few days, and for once it hasn't only been the rain (though there has been a few showers about in the last 24-36 hours) its been the cold weather...on Thursday, Brisbane had its coldest June day since 1916 (12.7 degrees), which has been followed up by a 19, 15 and an 18 today. Annoyingly, when people would've decided to go to the game this arvo, it was particularly gloomy with a few showers about the place...the sun came out a couple of hours later during the game of course!

I even had a guy in my touch footy team stay at home on Thurs night because it was 'too cold!' SOFT!

But it really does show how abnormal weather causes people to shut up shop for the period..."oh the weather has been crap, don't want to get caught out in it, I'll stay at home" sort of attitude.

Last edited:

fanatique

Juniors
Yeah I don't get why people are surprised. Watching half your team + reserve graders vs a crap interstate team is not apealing. Especially when you may be saving yourself for Origin a couple of days later.

Origin kills the regular season.

Welcome to the small club on here which recognises the damage the meaningless Origin series does to the NRL season. An artificial crowd magnet sucking tens of thousands of ticket sales away from the clubs and destroying the athmosphere at games week after week. Hopefully Qld. continue to paste NSW and the thing loses the interest of the public. Then maybe it can be pushed off into the one match pre season thing it should be.

bobmar28

Bench
You asked "Wests?", I answered your question. Seemed an out of place and silly question :p

While I do somewhat agree with this idea I think it should be a max of 2 or 3 home games moved to big venues, and the opponents changed yearly. Keep the bulk of matches at Kogarah/Wollongong.

You know what does seem silly? Predicting a crowd for a team that hasn't played NRL for ten years.

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
You Aussies moan about the rain, Bradford Bulls got 13k today for a game played in torrential rain from start to finish, in a ground with no cover. This is a side that hasn't made the ESL finals for the past 3 years. I don't understand how the weather can have such a bearing on the NRL crowds.

VictoryFC

Bench
dogz They had sold 10,000 season tickets for like 60 pounds or something, which may as well be giving them away for free. And 13k is considered a great crowd in Super League, so no idea why EH is trumpeting it likes its some amazing achievement.

And the weather is probably a factor, but not a determining factor in this situation. I think Origin has the biggest effect on Brisbanites attendance there.

BunniesMan

Immortal
You know what does seem silly? Predicting a crowd for a team that hasn't played NRL for ten years.
Are you deliberately trying to be an idiot?

Do you even follow the NRL?

Have you heard of the team called the "Wests Tigers"? They're a team playing in the NRL...this year. The first half of their name is "Wests". Inline with how the bloke named every other team in his list, he used only the first half of "Wests Tigers".

Idiot.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
You Aussies moan about the rain, Bradford Bulls got 13k today for a game played in torrential rain from start to finish, in a ground with no cover. This is a side that hasn't made the ESL finals for the past 3 years. I don't understand how the weather can have such a bearing on the NRL crowds.

simple, aussies are soft.

A drop of rain in the days leading up to saturday/sunday and there are mass ground closures, it is pathetic.

What doesn't help though are bronze age grounds with grass hills and no cover. who wants to attend a sporting event on a cold, wet night to stand on a hill? possibly a cow or sheep but not your average person

RWB

Bench
Why didn't we have more games today?

A game at 2,4 & 7

Gives me an hour to eat inbetween the second and third game. It's not like people do anything on the Queens birthday anyway. Make it an annual fixture between two teams and build some tradition.

docbrown

Coach
Why didn't we have more games today?

A game at 2,4 & 7

Gives me an hour to eat inbetween the second and third game. It's not like people do anything on the Queens birthday anyway. Make it an annual fixture between two teams and build some tradition.

Because Origin is scheduled. That said and I've said before, I agree - it's an opportunity wasted.

If I was running a club, I'd try and seize on the opportunity. They were having a whinge about Anzac Day being dominated by a Roosters & Dragons - yet no one's got the vision to go out and make this weekend their own.

BDGS

Bench
Because Origin is scheduled. That said and I've said before, I agree - it's an opportunity wasted.

If I was running a club, I'd try and seize on the opportunity. They were having a whinge about Anzac Day being dominated by a Roosters & Dragons - yet no one's got the vision to go out and make this weekend their own.

The NRL, Melbourne Storm and New Zealand Warriors are trying to change this.

docbrown

Coach

Well if clubs want to make money they should go out and start their own marquee blockbuster games.

Some people will go to games like that simply because it's an event.

Red Bear

Referee
What would Warriors crowds be like if they were to have a susatained run of success, three or four years in a row of being really deep in the title race? They seem to vary alot with results.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wow, do you pride yourself on being a bigger pedant than me, or are you just deliberately being a moron?

The Tigers are Wests in the same way the Roosters are Sydney, the Bulldogs are Canterbury-Bankstown and the Storm are Melbourne.
Timmah, what is the current list of home team average crowds?
You can usually get it (albeit out of order) on this page, updated regularly: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/NRL_2011/summary.html
Not sure they're necessarily trying to change it, but they're trying to add to the tradition. I doubt they'd want to see Dragons/Roosters disappear off the ANZAC Day radar, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.