What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC_fan

Coach
9,843 in Melbourne tonight. The forth staright home game that Melbourne have failed to reach 5 figures. Has to be of concern to the club and the NRL.

elbusto

Coach
9,843 in Melbourne tonight. The forth staright home game that Melbourne have failed to reach 5 figures. Has to be of concern to the club and the NRL.
Agreed. There is a lot of work going into growing the game in Melbourne but it is not reflected in the crowds at all.

DC_fan

Coach
Average crowds after R.14

2011 16,366
2010 16.582
2009 16,260
2008 16,250
2007 15,720

This years crowds, compared to last season are down by 1.30 percent. But are up on the three seasons previous including a very good 4.11 percent on 2007.

Teddyboy

First Grade
dogz They had sold 10,000 season tickets for like 60 pounds or something, which may as well be giving them away for free. And 13k is considered a great crowd in Super League, so no idea why EH is trumpeting it likes its some amazing achievement.

And the weather is probably a factor, but not a determining factor in this situation. I think Origin has the biggest effect on Brisbanites attendance there.

That's a good deal for Bradford fans as it works out as £4.61 I think a home game.

azza29

Juniors

Seemed more like 12-13k at the game. A lot of free tickets given away, perhaps those weren't counted in the attendance figures?

That said, the GA areas were pretty full but there were big gaps in the premium sections - a lot of members away this week.

brad_19

Juniors
Seemed more like 12-13k at the game. A lot of free tickets given away, perhaps those weren't counted in the attendance figures?

That said, the GA areas were pretty full but there were big gaps in the premium sections - a lot of members away this week.

I go to all the Storm and Victory games at AAMI, so I'm starting to get pretty good at judging the crowds. I said to my mates I thought it was around the 10k mark, so I wasn't too shocked when I heard it was just under. Figure seems spot on for mine. Very disappointing though - I wonder how many more would have come if the stars were playing?

bartman

Immortal
I don't understand how the weather can have such a bearing on the NRL crowds.
I just put it down to every single game being live to TV, if not free-to-air then on cable or in the pub.

People have got so used to that, and we don't (yet) have the dates locked in for games from the very start of the season.... So I reckon most don't commit and make a decision on the day based on the weather of whether to head into the ground, or just meet up in a pub somewhere and watch the live broadcast (or head to a mate's place and gather around the tv).

That, and ridiculous kick-off times like Monday night 7pm, Friday night 7:30pm isn't much better when you're trying to get across the crawling traffic or transport system in Sydney after finishing work.

NRLMad

Juniors
The scheduling is just ridiculous. What they should ahve done is scheduled that game for Sunday on a lonbg weekend and played the warriors, a qld team or a team with a strong away following like us (dragons). I thionk they need to look at fixed scheduling and look at making at least 2-3 blockbusters per weekend.

Billythekid

First Grade
I just put it down to every single game being live to TV, if not free-to-air then on cable or in the pub.

People have got so used to that, and we don't (yet) have the dates locked in for games from the very start of the season.... So I reckon most don't commit and make a decision on the day based on the weather of whether to head into the ground, or just meet up in a pub somewhere and watch the live broadcast (or head to a mate's place and gather around the tv).

That, and ridiculous kick-off times like Monday night 7pm, Friday night 7:30pm isn't much better when you're trying to get across the crawling traffic or transport system in Sydney after finishing work.

This is all true. Another thing which can't be underestimated as much as we may not like it, is that NRL is perfect for tv viewing.

When it's raining outside people have the choice of heading out in the cold wet conditions or staying at home and getting the perfect view of the action.

That plus often times if you go to the game you could end up missing a game or two depending on the day of the week.

I'm not trying to make excuses but i think this is a strong factor that clubs will have to fight to get more people coming to games. Especially when the weather is bad.

undertaker

Coach
Well, the Storm have 3 more home games this year (they've already played 9): vs Broncos, Panthers and Dragons. Two big games there. Broncos and Dragons matches should each get at least 15,000+. With continued good form and good weather, 20,000+ is a real possibility, depending on the circumstances (especially if the Dragons bring a lot of supporters to Melbourne). The Storm draw pretty good crowds against those two sides whom they both have strong rivalries against

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
This is all true. Another thing which can't be underestimated as much as we may not like it, is that NRL is perfect for tv viewing.

When it's raining outside people have the choice of heading out in the cold wet conditions or staying at home and getting the perfect view of the action.

That plus often times if you go to the game you could end up missing a game or two depending on the day of the week.

I'm not trying to make excuses but i think this is a strong factor that clubs will have to fight to get more people coming to games. Especially when the weather is bad.

Well ticket prices need to be dropped.

bobmar28

Bench

Free tickets are not counted. I took the family to the Dogs v Dragons game on free tickets and they just waved us through.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Are you deliberately trying to be an idiot?

Do you even follow the NRL?

Have you heard of the team called the "Wests Tigers"? They're a team playing in the NRL...this year. The first half of their name is "Wests". Inline with how the bloke named every other team in his list, he used only the first half of "Wests Tigers".

Idiot.
Double

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.