What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Reported in todays paper that Sydney crowds are up 2.4% on last year, despite 9 extra wet weather games. Considering only 4 Sydney teams are in the top 8 at the moment, when this time last year there were about 6-7 sides in there its a great achievement. Also selling out the state of origin after 5 series losses in a row, being 1-0 down and in wet weather was another good effort.

QLD crowds have dropped significantly this year. Titans are barely getting 10k to games...cowboys crowds have been disappointing given their improvement in form, and Brisbane have dropped 5k on last year. In fact, Bulldogs are averaging only 4,000 less per game than the Broncos, and we've won 3 less games.

Nice to get some credit where its due from Qld'ers who've been rubbishing Sydney crowds for years now...but not really expecting it.

Why are they saying this? I thought crowds were down by 0.5% - have they adjusted the Newcastle and Cowboys crowds for the turnstile errors?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
8,021? :|

That's terrible. I know Saints' 10k wasn't much better last week but these guys have 20,000 members - 10k should be a floor!

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Yeah, not the best, but it was always on the cards. We stink. The Titans stink. It was cold and the game was on FTA.

That is also one of the issues with having a season pass that is good value. You can miss 2 or 3 games and still be ahead. This season has also been the most disappointing in my lifetime and I would assume that a lot of Souths fans feel the same. Motivating myself to get out to games is getting harder by the week. Though tonight was nice.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
There was a 50k crowd on a Sunday at Suncorp a year or two before that between the two sides.

48K in 2005 it was - played at the back end of the season. The last time it was played during origin it only got 32K back in 2006.

This is a match that should ALWAYS be played early or late in the season to attract 40K+. It was sadly wasted tonight.

mattyg

Bench
Why are they saying this? I thought crowds were down by 0.5% - have they adjusted the Newcastle and Cowboys crowds for the turnstile errors?

overall maybe this is true...but from the paper article today sydney crowds are up 2.5% and we've had far more wet weather than last year...taking 5,000 off the broncos average obviously is gonna dent the overall crowd but being a one team city you'd expect them to increase every year...obviously not. I'm surprised that the broncos crowds haven't copped any flack this year...it's an almost 2 million population city with 1 nrl team, yet sydney with 9 NRL teams has the bulldogs pulling over 26,000 a game on average (while the broncos with no competition have 30,000)...and to be fair the dogs have had quite a few wet weather games and a disappointing crowd against the dragons in the mix.

mattyg

Bench
overall maybe this is true...but from the paper article today sydney crowds are up 2.5% and we've had far more wet weather than last year...taking 5,000 off the broncos average obviously is gonna dent the overall crowd but being a one team city you'd expect them to increase every year...obviously not. I'm surprised that the broncos crowds haven't copped any flack this year...it's an almost 2 million population city with 1 nrl team, yet sydney with 9 NRL teams has the bulldogs pulling over 26,000 a game on average (while the broncos with no competition have 30,000)...and to be fair the dogs have had quite a few wet weather games and a disappointing crowd against the dragons in the mix.

not to mention the broncos being higher on the ladder!!

DC_fan

Coach
Thier has been 13 NRL games played at ANZ Stadium this season. Six by Souths, five by the Bulldogs and two by Parramatta.

The Bulldogs average 25,393, Parramatta 26,420 and Souths 14,683. The overall average for the 13 games is 20,608.

The biggest crowd has been 30,687 when Parramatta played the Bulldogs in R.6. The Bulldogs have only once failed to reach a crowd of 20,000 and that crowd was 19,830.

Souths biggest crowd wa2 22,771 when they played the Dragons in R.6. They have faailed to reach 10,000 in two of their home games this year.

So for me the problem is not playing at ANZ, but more how the team is performing.

MightyBronco

Juniors
not to mention the broncos being higher on the ladder!!

but..but..we have to play an out of state team almost every home game!

Though seriously, the Broncs wouldnt be too happy with the figures. I can only really put it down to less scheduling of blockbusters at good times. Those 40k+ crowds boost our figures.

Broncs crowds have been on the rise for 10 years now. They had to plateau eventually.

Even though we are a 1 team town, the Broncs don't have a monopoly on the fans. Look at all the NSW and Dragons fans on this forum who are Brisbane based, for example.

That and people are spending less ATM. Prices for everything are increasing a lot at Suncorp. Bourbons are now $7.60.

But still, pretty bad results, i just hope the 2nd half of the season gets some bumper crowds to boost the average.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Parramatta "average 26,420" at ANZ... it's a bit of a misnomer to even give Parramatta an "ANZ average" tbh :lol:

Raiderdave

First Grade

ummmmm..... hello :?

I've been bagging their pityful turnouts all year
last night was a disgrace
QLD teams this year have let the code down badly

the Titans have a sort of excuse in that they're on the bottom of the ladder
the Broncos & Cowboys are in or near the top 4
crowds of 13K for the Cows ... & 30K for the broncos are just not good enough
not by some stretch :x

woodyk2

First Grade
Maybe souffs should go back to Redfern Oval? Souffs at homebush is an embarressment to the game.

HowHigh

Coach
8,000 in an 80,000+ stadium looks embarrasing. Game was on at the club last night and a mate who isnt a RL fan had a laugh about it.
Not a good look at all seeing a stadium at ~10% capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.