What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

azza29

Juniors
And sorry, Melbourne's crowds are just not good enough. The self-titled and so-called 'sporting capitial of Australia'. Sure, there's competition from the other code, but if they can't find at least 15,000 general 'sports fans' to get to their games in a city of 4 million then that's embarrasing.

Storm crowds are indeed dismal at the moment, although the season average is around the 12-13k mark it's depressing to be under 10k for the last 3 matches.

Last year's salary cap mess has taken its toll, as has the introduction of the Rebels which has no doubt encouraged a few locals to switch to what they view as the 'real' rugby.

Only four Melbourne home games left so we should see some sort of improvement over the second half of the year.

Frailty

First Grade
Melbourne's crowds can improve if there was some media support behind them. There is virtually no coverage of Rugby League down here, with many news reports not mentioning it at all - including nine. The Herald Sun and The Age are lucky to have one article on Rugby League.

So why do I think they can improve? On Sunday, there were three guys sitting behind me who absolutely loved it and it was their first game. They couldn't get over the size of the players, and the game itself (which wasn't fantastic quality). To quote one of the guys "So happy we came here instead of the Collingwood game (which was on at the MCG at the same time), we should come to the rugby league more often".

It can be sold, but there needs to be a push similar to what the Swans have in Sydney.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Bluebags point is it's always 1 team towners bagging Sydney crowds...then get up in arms when someone tells them to look in their own backyard. Those in glass houses and all that. But but but it's cold! Big f**king deal it's been raining most weekends in Sydney as well.

Spot-on. that's exactly my point. Mate I hope Canberra get great crowds. But it s**ts me when an anti-Sydney chip-on-shoulder poster comes out and (rightfully) bags Manly, Penrith and Cronulla's crowds, but somehow thinks Melbourne and Canberra's crowds are magically OK with some nuffy excuse that they are "in expansion markets" or "there is no local team to attract away fans like the Sydney teams do".

Bag all clubs with crap crowds or bag none of them.

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
not sure what the current stats are but after round 8 this year the average crowd in sydney was higher than nrl crowds outside of sydney. we have had some terrible weather and some low crowds lately though so im not sure if it would still be the case. rugby league crowds are nowhere near as bad as some people make them out to be, and the good thing is that we can continue to get bigger.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Melbourne's crowds can improve if there was some media support behind them. There is virtually no coverage of Rugby League down here, with many news reports not mentioning it at all - including nine. The Herald Sun and The Age are lucky to have one article on Rugby League.

So why do I think they can improve? On Sunday, there were three guys sitting behind me who absolutely loved it and it was their first game. They couldn't get over the size of the players, and the game itself (which wasn't fantastic quality). To quote one of the guys "So happy we came here instead of the Collingwood game (which was on at the MCG at the same time), we should come to the rugby league more often".

It can be sold, but there needs to be a push similar to what the Swans have in Sydney.

I hope Melbourne's crowds improve. But remember when they were playing out of arguably the worst ground in the NRL at Olympic Park, everyone was saying (myself included) that with a winning team the Storm's crowds will skyrocket when they get to play in a modern, state-of-the-art, rectangular stadium built for Rugby League. None of this playing on oval fields or athletics track rubbish.

We were all saying that, finally, we can showcase Victorians to Rugby League properly in a brand new modern rectangular stadium especially built for the game.

I thought their crowds were reasonable last year considering they weren't playing for points (which may have in fact boosted their crowds), and I was one of many that stuck up for the Storm's crowds when they were playing out of that sh**th*le at Olympic Park ("give them a chance - wait until they move to that new stadium"), but their crowds are hardly any better this year in that wonderful new stadium.

Cameron Smith played his 200th game for the Storm and they STILL couldn't crack 10,000. Frankly it's been very disappointing...

We'll just have to keep chipping away I guess.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
the Population of Canberra / Queanbeyan is 409,000
about 150K less then the Gold Coast

but, unlike the Gold Coast we don't have a city of 2 million 45 minutes away

Both the Titans & Raiders have unattractive matches
( in terms of traditional crowd pullers ) at home this weekend
both are equal last on 8pts

I bet we do better then them on the crowd front this weekend
yet bluebag08 .. the wombat that he is
seems to have left the Titans off the poor crowd pullers .... tsk tsk :roll:

The Titans crowds have been acceptable. How you can argue otherwise I have no idea.

The problem I have found with Raiders fans on these forums - more than any other fan base - is that they cannot cop constructive criticism.

Instead of deflecting the attention onto Titans or finding reason to blindlessley bag a Sydney team for the umpteenth time with no rhyme or reason, how about, for once, actually admitting Canberra's crowds are not that great?

I haven't seen Panthers, Manly, or Cronulla fans jump down my throat for, heaven forbid, - daring - criticise their teams. And the forum posters that have tried defending Melbourne's crowds do so with a modicum of reason and constructive, civilised, and respectful arguement.

Canberran's need to take a chill pill and not get too sensitive when someone bags the Raiders. Sydneysiders are not after you. No need to resort to the tired old and usual Sydney-bashing lines that have been used over and over just because a Sydneysider had a constructive opinion on something you don't agree with.

My criticism isn't necessarily directed at Raiders fans on this forum who no doubt DO make the effort to go to games. It's non-fans that stay at home.

Last edited:
The Titans crowds have been acceptable. How you can argue otherwise I have no idea.

The problem I have found with Raiders fans on these forums - more than any other fan base - is that they cannot cop constructive criticism.

Instead of deflecting the attention onto Titans or finding reason to blindlessley bag a Sydney team for the umpteenth time with no rhyme or reason, how about, for once, actually admitting Canberra's crowds are not that great?

I haven't seen Panthers, Manly, or Cronulla fans jump down my throat for, heaven forbid, - daring - criticise their teams. And the forum posters that have tried defending Melbourne's crowds do so with a modicum of reason and constructive, civilised, and respectful arguement.

Canberran's need to take a chill pill and not get too sensitive when someone bags the Raiders. Sydneysiders are not after you. No need to resort to the tired old and usual Sydney-bashing lines that have been used over and over just because a Sydneysider had a constructive opinion on something you don't agree with.

My criticism isn't necessarily directed at Raiders fans on this forum who no doubt DO make the effort to go to games. It's non-fans that stay at home.

hmmm... :-k

Let me think.... :-k

We have been coming last all season, and being playing quite dismally...

:-k Nah, that's not it... #-o

Yet we are still averaging around 13k. Pretty decent if you ask me.

azza29

Juniors

RL gets comparable coverage to Super Rugby and A-League, which is to say bugger all. If I didn't read The Australian I wouldn't see match reports for non-Storm games.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Eels V Dragons - 17k
Sharks V Broncos - 15k
Titans V Panthers - 11k
Bulldogs V Sea Eagles - 22k
Roosters V Warriors - 8k
Raiders V Cowboys - 13k
Rabbitohs V Storm - 13k
Tigers V Knights - 14k

ummm no they haven't... the Titans' crowds are on a downward spiral. That is a fact , you cannot argue that. Canberra's bottom crowd drawers have increased (Knights & Titans crowds were up by 2,000 despite our woeful season). The club is still on track to increase their average from last year, again despite our 8 losses in a row

all you're doing is looking purely at numbers, disregarding any subjective issues - that's why we're jumping down your throat. Not because we can't take any "constructive criticism". Also, please look up it's definition. It would entail that you suggest ways in which the crowds could improve, not merely just stating that they're shit

Raiderdave

First Grade
looks like the Parramatta V Dragons game is heading for a sellout
no Jnr passes will be honoured at this game.

No Junior Passes at Eels v Dragons

Parramatta Eels v St George-Illawarra Dragons - Friday June 3

Due to strong pre-sales, Junior Player Passes, and Junior Official Passes will not be accepted at this Friday's clash between the Parramatta Eels and St George-Illawarra Dragons at Parramatta Stadium.

Fans interested in going to the clash are encouraged to pre-purchase to ensure that they avoid queues out at Parramatta Stadium, and so they don't miss out on securing their preferred seat at the venue.

Players and officials who do wish to use their junior passes are welcome at any of the other five Sydney based NRL matches over the weekend, which include:

- Friday: Sharks v Broncos - Toyota Stadium
- Saturday: Roosters v Warriors - SFS
- Saturday: Bulldogs v Sea Eagles - ANZ Stadium
- Sunday: Rabbitohs v Storm - ANZ Stadium
- Monday: Wests Tigers v Knights - Leichhardt Oval.

To secure your tickets to Friday's Eels v Dragons clash, please click on the link below:

bobmar28

Bench

4.6m/9 = approx 511,000 per side and that is assuming that the population is spread evenly among the 9 sides.

As someone mentioned earlier Cronulla’s area has a population of approx 220,000.

That's the problem right there. 9 teams in one city.

bobmar28

Bench
Spot-on. that's exactly my point. Mate I hope Canberra get great crowds. But it s**ts me when an anti-Sydney chip-on-shoulder poster comes out and (rightfully) bags Manly, Penrith and Cronulla's crowds, but somehow thinks Melbourne and Canberra's crowds are magically OK with some nuffy excuse that they are "in expansion markets" or "there is no local team to attract away fans like the Sydney teams do".

Bag all clubs with crap crowds or bag none of them.

I will be bagging Sydney crowds until there are fewer teams in this city. There is no room for 9 teams in Sydney. There is no excuse for images of near empty stadiums in a city of 4.6 million.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member

I will revise my figure to 19k then.

adamkungl

Immortal
I will be bagging Sydney crowds until there are fewer teams in this city. There is no room for 9 teams in Sydney. There is no excuse for images of near empty stadiums in a city of 4.6 million.

Take people's teams away = more people go to games :lol:

Due to strong pre-sales, Junior Player Passes, and Junior Official Passes will not be accepted at this Friday's clash between the Parramatta Eels and St George-Illawarra Dragons at Parramatta Stadium.

Fans interested in going to the clash are encouraged to pre-purchase to ensure that they avoid queues out at Parramatta Stadium, and so they don't miss out on securing their preferred seat at the venue.

Players and officials who do wish to use their junior passes are welcome at any of the other five Sydney based NRL matches over the weekend, which include:

- Friday: Sharks v Broncos - Toyota Stadium
- Saturday: Roosters v Warriors - SFS
- Saturday: Bulldogs v Sea Eagles - ANZ Stadium
- Sunday: Rabbitohs v Storm - ANZ Stadium
- Monday: Wests Tigers v Knights - Leichhardt Oval.

To secure your tickets to Friday's Eels v Dragons clash, please click on the link below:

WIll somebody please think of the Masons!

azza29

Juniors

Melbourne has 9 AFL teams serving a smaller population that seem to do OK crowd-wise, even when playing interstate.

But then we have just one NRL team which is beset by poor attendance despite on-field success. Go figure.

Billythekid

First Grade
The percentage of a population going to games is a very limited stat.

What if the NRL admit a team where the towns population is 500. If they get 250 people to every game does that make them the most supported team in the NRL?

Also i don't think you can say that every single Sydney team is drawing from 4.6 million. They all have their own areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts