What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evenflow

Bench
Melbourne has 9 AFL teams serving a smaller population that seem to do OK crowd-wise, even when playing interstate.

But then we have just one NRL team which is beset by poor attendance despite on-field success. Go figure.

It's pretty straight forward azza. Melbourne is obviously AFL heartland who don't have an issue with crowd numbers even when there's 9 teams here because AFL supporters actually love going to see their side live at the venue and aren't as content sitting at home watching them on the couch like most Sydney fans are watching their RL side.

The Storm play what is still regarded as the foreign code so obviously crowds are not going to be anywhere near AFL's regardless of being a 1 team town. Some simpletions on here (don't mean you) think just because a city only has 1 team that'll equate to big crowds which isn't necessarily so, especially in a city that has to compete with 9 other teams in a sport that's treated as a religion and whose clubs draw 6 million odd people (desciples) through the gates a year.

While i agree attendances this year for the Storm have been less than hoped for with a couple of big games in the home stretch against the Broncs and Queens it'll be sure to lift the end of year average which is all that counts.

bazza

Immortal
Also i don't think you can say that every single Sydney team is drawing from 4.6 million. They all have their own areas.

Good point

Distance from Brisbane to Gold Coast is about 80km

It is a similar distance for these trips in Sydney:

Penrith - Cronulla
Penrith - Manly
Manly - Campbelltown

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Get 2 Friday Night games in Sydney and the weather is sensational. Heres hoping for 2 good crowds.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
16,066 at Parra.

Really dumb decision not to let the kids with Passes in for free. Plenty of room behind the posts at the Southern End.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Eels V Dragons - 17k
Sharks V Broncos - 15k
Titans V Panthers - 11k
Bulldogs V Sea Eagles - 22k
Roosters V Warriors - 8k
Raiders V Cowboys - 13k
Rabbitohs V Storm - 13k
Tigers V Knights - 14k

you were only a few hundred short for the 2 friday games.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The 'Big 4' being the Dragons, Eels, Dogs and Tigers should be really nudging 20k at least everytime they play eachother.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
lol, aren't Parra averaging 16k this year?

And didn't the chookies get 10k or so on a Sunday arvo in the last couple of weeks?

DIOGENES

Juniors
Round 13 last year was 78K at an ave <10K
After 12 rounds the total crowds were about 45K down. The first two games of this round were 30 K. So to catch up the remaining 6 games need 93K or an average of 15.5

bobmar28

Bench
Melbourne has 9 AFL teams serving a smaller population that seem to do OK crowd-wise, even when playing interstate.

But then we have just one NRL team which is beset by poor attendance despite on-field success. Go figure.

I hope they keep their 9 teams. They will never be the national code with most teams in Melbourne.

Raiderdave

First Grade
But David Gallop said record crowds on the Footy Show...

well it will be by seasons end

as people have said .. we'll go close to being on par with last season after this round , & with some big rounds to come in the weeks ahead

his statement while technically not being correct was more of a predicition ;-)

azza29

Juniors
I hope they keep their 9 teams. They will never be the national code with most teams in Melbourne.

AFL has teams in 5 states and plays season matches in every state and territory. It is not an international game, but it has clubs and support in many areas the NRL is yet to reach nationally.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
lol, aren't Parra averaging 16k this year?

And didn't the chookies get 10k or so on a Sunday arvo in the last couple of weeks?

I criticise every club that gets a poor crowd. If you measure 16k against the size of the parra supporter base then its a poor crowd, and thats before you include the Dragons fans who were there.

11k would be a realistic crowd for us tonight but its still not good enough. Don't get me wrong i want every club to keep improving but sometimes the fans let the game dpwn by not turning up.

Brutus

Referee
well it will be by seasons end

as people have said .. we'll go close to being on par with last season after this round , & with some big rounds to come in the weeks ahead

his statement while technically not being correct was more of a predicition ;-)

I'd like to share your optimism, but I can't see the 2005 average high being beaten this year.

Most of our 'blockbusters' have already been played.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts