What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGS

Bench
Parra V STI 18k
Sharks V Broncos 15k
Gold Coast V Penrith 15k
Roosters V Warriors 12k
Bulldogs V Manly 18k
Canbra V NQC 11k
Souths V Mlebourne 15k
Tigpies V Newy 15k

yakstorm

First Grade
At least the Sharks and Roosters/Warriors are attempting to try and draw crowds for this weekend.

Sharks Special Offer:
$10 General Admission tickets - http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=SHA1311

Warriors Offer:
Sit with Jerome Ropati at the game in a Special Warriors supporter bay.
Tickets have also been discounted: $20 for Adults, $50 for Families, or if you want an Adult ticket plus a Warriors Bucket Cap - $32.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/ppredirect.aspx?pp=QWARM&sh=ROOS1311

Raiderdave

First Grade
Biggest load of garbage. These 3 clubs have NRL licenses just like everybody else, so there's no excuse. They need to meet minimum standards like everyone else. To excuse non-Sydney teams and then bag Sydney teams crowds is agenda-driven and utter tripe. Melbourne and Canberra's crowds are s**t. Full-stop. You can't polish a turd.

The following clubs have s**t crowds and are dragging the chain:

Melbourne
Canberrra
Cronulla
Penrith
Manly

North Queensland's crowds I can excuse due to:
* their team being pathetic on the field for the past 3 years
* the cyclone
* have historically had the runs on the board regulary getting high teens and 20,000 crowds.

However the Cowboys have had slightly disappointing crowds this year given the team's good form. Hopefully that turns around as they are proven crowd-pullers when all is well.

has anyone taken a rag & some cleaning fluid to you :sarcasm:
sydney teams exist right beside each other
of course they have an advantage over non sydney teams you peanut

when a Sydney team running last can draw 13K fans to a game in 0 temps .. start lecturing then
otherwise
keep your dribble to yourself.

bobmar28

Bench
Biggest load of garbage. These 3 clubs have NRL licenses just like everybody else, so there's no excuse. They need to meet minimum standards like everyone else. To excuse non-Sydney teams and then bag Sydney teams crowds is agenda-driven and utter tripe. Melbourne and Canberra's crowds are s**t. Full-stop. You can't polish a turd.

The following clubs have s**t crowds and are dragging the chain:

Melbourne
Canberrra
Cronulla
Penrith
Manly

North Queensland's crowds I can excuse due to:
* their team being pathetic on the field for the past 3 years
* the cyclone
* have historically had the runs on the board regulary getting high teens and 20,000 crowds.

However the Cowboys have had slightly disappointing crowds this year given the team's good form. Hopefully that turns around as they are proven crowd-pullers when all is well.

If Sydney teams can't get better crowds than say Canberra or Gold Coast then 9 is too many Teams. You can't have 10,000 people turning up to a game in a city of 4.6 million.

Raiderdave

First Grade
If Sydney teams can't get better crowds than say Canberra or Gold Coast then 9 is too many Teams. You can't have 10,000 people turning up to a game in a city of 4.6 million.

Rnd 13

Parra V Dragons 18K . should sellout but probably won't
Sharks V Broncos 13K this is with the promo.. Broncos don't bring many with them
Titans V Penrith 10K .. will be the smallest crowd of the year up there
Bulldogs V Manly 23K .. a belter in prospect
Roosters V Warriors 13K .. could be more with a promo on
Raiders V Cowboys 13K ... campo not playing may hold some back
Souths V Melb .... 10K 20K members means nothing apparently :roll:
Tigers V Newc .... 13K would have sold out if on a Sunday arvo ,honestly who does the scheduling & wot are they thinking :crazy:

BunniesMan

Immortal
honestly who does the scheduling & wot are they thinking :crazy:
Crowds are way down the list of priorities when it comes to scheduling.

If crowds mattered to the NRL we'd have a fixed schedule like the AFL. But instead we bend over backwards for TV while getting ripped off by them.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
has anyone taken a rag & some cleaning fluid to you :sarcasm:
sydney teams exist right beside each other
of course they have an advantage over non sydney teams you peanut

when a Sydney team running last can draw 13K fans to a game in 0 temps .. start lecturing then
otherwise
keep your dribble to yourself.

I was waiting on a Raiders fan to get back to me as expected.

True, Sydney teams having the advantage of drawing away fans to their games. But being in a one-town team with only one game to go to every 2nd week also brings it's advantages too - a large population base all to yourself that is starved of football every 2nd week.

There's pros and cons to both.

In the end, Canberra's crowds are s**t. What else is there to do in Canberra and you still can't get a crowd every 2nd week?

See above.

And sorry, Melbourne's crowds are just not good enough. The self-titled and so-called 'sporting capitial of Australia'. Sure, there's competition from the other code, but if they can't find at least 15,000 general 'sports fans' to get to their games in a city of 4 million then that's embarrasing.

Bluebags1908

Juniors

Most Sydney teams HAVE been getting better crowds than Canberra and are roughly on par with Gold Coast. So there goes your arguement.

Canberra and Gold Coast should be getting better than what they have been.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I disagree, each teams circumstances are different and that should be taken into account. You can't hold every team to the same standard as the Broncos, other teams are in different circumstance and face different issues surrounding crowd sizes and a lot of other factors.

You wouldn't compare Collingwood crowds to the Suns crowds, its just a silly exercise.

I see your point and agree to a certain extent. But Melbourne getting 9,000 for their last 3 home games just isn't good enough. I hope it gets better.

I just take exception to people that want to blindly bag Sydney teams crowds and excuse the one-town teams crowds that are just as bad if not worse.

If you are going to bag teams crowds, do it impartially and objectively regardless on where a team is geographically based.

And for the record, Penrith, Manly, and Cronulla's crowds are crap as well.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
I see your point and agree to a certain extent. But Melbourne getting 9,000 for their last 3 home games just isn't good enough. I hope it gets better.

I just take exception to people that want to blindly bag Sydney teams crowds and excuse the one-town teams crowds that are just as bad if not worse.

If you are going to bag teams crowds, do it impartially and objectively regardless on where a team is geographically based.

And for the record, Penrith, Manly, and Cronulla's crowds are crap as well.

despite the 9 sydney teams being within a 50K radius of each other :sarcasm:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Bluebag obviously had NFI about either the nature of Canberra's support base or geography in general. A large proportion of raiders fans live in rural centres like Albury, Wagga and Hay. These fans can't just hop on a bus and arrive at the stadium 10 minutes later. It takes a bit more planning than that. And yes NQLD fans live in outlying areas far greater than Canberra's but in townsville it rarely gets below 20 degrees. In Canberra night games (and even some day games) have temps below zero. If you've ever been to a game in Canberra on one of these cold nights you'd notice that there are very few children under the age of twelve there. Why? Because only a moron would take their kids to the footy on a freezing night. Our crowds aren't great but there are legitimate factors why.

bobmar28

Bench
Most Sydney teams HAVE been getting better crowds than Canberra and are roughly on par with Gold Coast. So there goes your arguement.

Canberra and Gold Coast should be getting better than what they have been.

Canberra have a population of 345,000. Gold Coast = 540,000. Sydney = 4.6 million. Who should have bigger crowds?

Raiderdave

First Grade
Canberra have a population of 345,000. Gold Coast = 540,000. Sydney = 4.6 million. Who should have bigger crowds?

the Population of Canberra / Queanbeyan is 409,000
about 150K less then the Gold Coast

but, unlike the Gold Coast we don't have a city of 2 million 45 minutes away

Both the Titans & Raiders have unattractive matches
( in terms of traditional crowd pullers ) at home this weekend
both are equal last on 8pts

I bet we do better then them on the crowd front this weekend
yet bluebag08 .. the wombat that he is
seems to have left the Titans off the poor crowd pullers .... tsk tsk :roll:

adamkungl

Immortal
Bluebags point is it's always 1 team towners bagging Sydney crowds...then get up in arms when someone tells them to look in their own backyard. Those in glass houses and all that. But but but it's cold! Big f**king deal it's been raining most weekends in Sydney as well.

CMUX

4.6m/9 = approx 511,000 per side and that is assuming that the population is spread evenly among the 9 sides.

As someone mentioned earlier Cronulla’s area has a population of approx 220,000.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Bluebags point is it's always 1 team towners bagging Sydney crowds...then get up in arms when someone tells them to look in their own backyard. Those in glass houses and all that. But but but it's cold! Big f**king deal it's been raining most weekends in Sydney as well.
Rain in Sydney this season is a little bit different from the annual freezing weather in Canberra and surrounds.

I can guarantee that cold is a legitmate excuse in Canberra over 10- 15 years since night games became a TV staple. When the tempurature drops below zero at the exposed Canberra Stadium its f**king cold. Thermal underwear, two layers of jumpers and tracksuit pants plus a blanket cold. When I was a young bloke I would regularly tough it out in the weather because it was actually quite exhillarating watching under those conditions. When I had kids I realised that it was too cold to take them out in that weather. Many families won't go to the ground in the height of winter because its too f**king cold, thus crowds are affected.

adamkungl

Immortal
Not saying that it isn't a legitimate excuse, but everyone has excuses. Certain Canberra fans shouldn't be deathriding other clubs if they don't want anyone looking at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts