What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMUX

Average per game not venue, so it should be 2 games not 1.

93,966 people saw 6 games for an average of 15.6k.

The way Timmah has it is:
93,966 people saw 5 games for an average of 18.7k.

This is correct. An average is the total crowd for the round divided by the total number of games.

The logic is irrefutable.

Melbourne, North Queensland and Canberra are forgiveable at 12.5-13.5k averages, being expansion sides or smaller markets.

IMO Melbourne is the only team you mentioned that has an excuse.

I constantly here that NQ have a huge following up there (which I have no reason to doubt) and they are going well ATM so I am not sure why they don’t turn up.

As for Canberra I am sick to death of hearing the whole “smaller market” thing. How many people in the A.C.T? I am sure it would be close to 1/9th of Sydney’s population.

user_nat

Coach
As for Canberra I am sick to death of hearing the whole “smaller market” thing. How many people in the A.C.T? I am sure it would be close to 1/9th of Sydney’s population.

350 thousand people in A.C.T.
Sydney has 4.5m.

So 1/12th of Sydney.

age.s

First Grade
and kudos to you Spitty, it's too easy for fans to sit at home and watch it on the box and take the soft option. It's sitting through shit like that, that when your teams wins a GF you look back and think of all the times like tonight and it makes it even sweeter.

For those of you who take the soft option at those sorts of games, it wasn't that bad. You can upgrade your season ticket to a grandstand for one game only. It was cold, but you don't get wet if you take an umbrella for the walk to the car. You have the parking, beer and food queues to yourself, and while a big crowd atmosphere is great, there's something to be said for being part of the special few who brave the elements to cheer on your footy team. Often find myself checking the crowd to take a stab at numbers, found myself just enjoying the footy last night, and I didn't expect to.

Goddo

Bench
350 thousand people in A.C.T.
Sydney has 4.5m.

So 1/12th of Sydney.
So we decry Sydney having 9 teams and not enough people, and the market the Raiders has is smaller again.

Canberra has a very young, educated population from all over Australia. Competition from the Brumbies, and disinterest from Southerners living there.

13k is ok for the Raiders. They are doing better than the Brumbies this year.

EDIT

Also, no surprise that the only fans of Sydney clubs pointing their fingers at Canberra or North Queensland are Sharks fans.

Fold already. You are holding the game back.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
I bet its fine and sunny in Sydney on Tuesday.

Whoever went to the game deserves a half-priced membership next year.

Pissing down actually.

Suppose to clear up by Wednesay/Thursday and start again on Saturday.

Spitty

Juniors
You can upgrade your season ticket to a grandstand for one game only.

I wish I knew that before now. I sat in my membership seat in Bay 5. I had my raincoat and poncho on but still got soaked.

Not that I'm complaining, it was my choice to go and while I got wet and the game was a bit rough, being at the ground for a win is always better than being at home for a win. I rarely stand in my loungeroom and sing "Go the mighty Panthers" and there's never another 5000 people in my lounge room to sing along with me.

Also interesting in a small crowd to hear every heckle. Players generally hear them too. Well Sandow definately did....

DC_fan

Coach
After R.12

2011 16,748 (average)
2010 17,226
2009 16,482
2008 16,789
2007 16,615

The average crowd for this season when compared to the previous four seasons

2010 down 478 or 2.8 percent
2009 up 266 or 1.6 percent
2008 down 41 or .2 percent
2007 up 133 or .8 percent

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I was at the game last night, and I'm not trolling here, but I would find it impossible to believe that there were nearly 6,000 people there. Absolutely no way.

DC_fan

Coach
I was at the game last night, and I'm not trolling here, but I would find it impossible to believe that there were nearly 6,000 people there. Absolutely no way.

I watched it on TV and yes it can be difficult to judge crowd from TV coverage. There was times last night when the cameras gave us some very good shots of both sides of the ground. In my opinion there was no where the number of people there as suggested.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Cronulla considering allowing all Members from all clubs in for Free on Friday Night as it will be Lockyer's last NRL regular season match in Sydney.

Frailty

First Grade
So we decry Sydney having 9 teams and not enough people, and the market the Raiders has is smaller again.

Canberra has a very young, educated population from all over Australia. Competition from the Brumbies, and disinterest from Southerners living there.

13k is ok for the Raiders. They are doing better than the Brumbies this year.

EDIT

Also, no surprise that the only fans of Sydney clubs pointing their fingers at Canberra or North Queensland are Sharks fans.

Fold already. You are holding the game back.

Population of Sutherland Shire is 220,835 - Less than at the Raiders disposal.

In addition to Soccer and Rugby to compete with, the Sharks also have 8 other Rugby League teams to compete with, including the Dragons who has been there prior.

The Sharks are in a more hostile market than Canberra.

age.s

First Grade
Also interesting in a small crowd to hear every heckle. Players generally hear them too. Well Sandow definately did....

If it was for that hilarious "touch finder", that may have been me. :lol:

franklin2323

Immortal
Where did you sit?? I sit right near the tunnel & it was pretty spot on. The last 10 or so rows in both Grandstands were full. Depending on the angle of the camera or where you sit it maybe hard to judge. Btw Did you catch the free bus?? If so was it full??

Bluebags1908

Juniors
5 worst crowds so far this year:

5,703 - Penrith vs South Sydney - CUA Stadium
6,148 - Manly vs Canberra - Brookvale Oval
7,340 - Cronulla vs North Queensland - Toyota Stadium
8,616 - Sydney vs Brisbane - Bluetongue Stadium
8,680 - Manly vs New Zealand - Brookvale Oval

The comp is running at two speeds big time. Top 10 teams crowd-wise are carrying the rest.

Manly, Penrith and Cronulla crowds are appalling. 10-12k averages for Sydney teams just ain't good enough.

Melbourne, North Queensland and Canberra are forgiveable at 12.5-13.5k averages, being expansion sides or smaller markets.

Biggest load of garbage. These 3 clubs have NRL licenses just like everybody else, so there's no excuse. They need to meet minimum standards like everyone else. To excuse non-Sydney teams and then bag Sydney teams crowds is agenda-driven and utter tripe. Melbourne and Canberra's crowds are s**t. Full-stop. You can't polish a turd.

The following clubs have s**t crowds and are dragging the chain:

Melbourne
Canberrra
Cronulla
Penrith
Manly

North Queensland's crowds I can excuse due to:
* their team being pathetic on the field for the past 3 years
* the cyclone
* have historically had the runs on the board regulary getting high teens and 20,000 crowds.

However the Cowboys have had slightly disappointing crowds this year given the team's good form. Hopefully that turns around as they are proven crowd-pullers when all is well.

BDGS

Bench
Biggest load of garbage. These 3 clubs have NRL licenses just like everybody else, so there's no excuse. They need to meet minimum standards like everyone else. To excuse non-Sydney teams and then bag Sydney teams crowds is agenda-driven and utter tripe. Melbourne and Canberra's crowds are s**t. Full-stop. You can't polish a turd.

Melbourne
Canberrra
Cronulla
Penrith
Manly

* the cyclone
* have historically had the runs on the board regulary getting high teens and 20,000 crowds.

However the Cowboys have had slightly disappointing crowds this year given the team's good form. Hopefully that turns around as they are proven crowd-pullers when all is well.

I disagree, each teams circumstances are different and that should be taken into account. You can't hold every team to the same standard as the Broncos, other teams are in different circumstance and face different issues surrounding crowd sizes and a lot of other factors.

You wouldn't compare Collingwood crowds to the Suns crowds, its just a silly exercise.

This Year?

Immortal

Melbourne
Canberrra
Cronulla
Penrith
Manly

* the cyclone

I beg to differ

Mr_hankey_the_xmas_poo.jpg

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Round 13
Parra V STI 18,500
Sharks V Broncos 12,000
Gold Coast V Penrith 13,500
Roosters V Warriors 9,500
Bulldogs V Manly 20,000
Canbra V NQC 11,500
Souths V Mlebourne 12,000
Tigpies V Newy 13,000

Total = 110k Average = 13,750

Hopefully the doggies v manly game gets over 20k, no reason why it shouldn't except rain and should be a cracker of a game.

BOM says friday and saturday dry and sunday possible showers, so looks good atm.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Round 13
Parra V STI 18,500
Sharks V Broncos 12,000
Gold Coast V Penrith 13,500
Roosters V Warriors 9,500

Bulldogs V Manly 20,000
Canbra V NQC 11,500
Souths V Mlebourne 12,000
Tigpies V Newy 13,000

Total = 110k Average = 13,750

Conservative?

Bold are the ones i expect to get more then you have predicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts