What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Looks terrible in Sydney.
Supposed to have been 15,126 at ANZ tonight. Must have been a lot of people hiding in the toilets.

When all Channel 9 shows is the front 25 rows, of course it looks terrible.

The top of most bays were 75-80% full each, the broadcast-side members area was well-attended, and level 4, which noone ever sees, was PACKED.

15k would've been spot on IMO, and testament to the support of both sides given the insane rainfall and freezing temps.

dollyhands

Juniors
^this. Although i still don't think another 8k could've fitted in.. unless someone who was at the stadium can tell us how the camera side looked?
I thought 28,500 was capacity? everyone used to go on about it being 32k, but i think someone here posted a link saying it was 28k. I still think aami officials cant count because at time when it looks capacity there is said to be 18k or so there

ByRd

First Grade
Broadcast side looked packed, both levels as well...I have no idea where 8-10k more are meant to fit there

Red Bear

Referee
Possibly been averaging a few crowds out across the season? Good crowd though, a slow improve would be excellent for footy in melbourne

Raiderdave

First Grade
the side opposite the camera at AAMI had quite a few spare seats in the top deck at both ends .. probably 60% full a few thousand all up I'd say there
also some in the tiers below this so a few hundred here ... an empty patch right on the fence in the end to the left of camera of a few hundred seats
the rest looked nearly completely full .. maybe a thousand or so sprinkled amongst these seats across the rest of the stadium
so
there had to of been 25K there at least... not 23K:?
but it wasn't packed either

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
The real question is Storm v Dragons - somewhat of a notable past history there. Surely given both teams form and the near end of the season, 22k would be the minimum and hopefully they pull 25k +.

If they do that then my guess would be Storm will record their highest home average ever - if I'm not mistaken.

Evenflow

Bench
We'd be close but not quite. If we can get approx 35k for our last 2 games (25k v Queens and 10k against the Panthers) it'll take the average to a tick under 14,150 which would be third overall behind last year which was 14,760 and 2000 where it was 14,622.

Of course they're only estimates and we could get either more or less to both games, but i reckon an over 14k average for this year is a pretty good effort after what happened and will only improve next year given the success the club has had so far this year and a chance of having more.

docbrown

Coach
We'd be close but not quite. If we can get approx 35k for our last 2 games (25k v Queens and 10k against the Panthers) it'll take the average to a tick under 14,150 which would be third overall behind last year which was 14,760 and 2000 where it was 14,622.

Of course they're only estimates and we could get either more or less to both games, but i reckon an over 14k average for this year is a pretty good effort after what happened and will only improve next year given the success the club has had so far this year and a chance of having more.

Oh definitely, anything that high is a good sign them.

It would be brilliant though to set the record and shut up the critics.

azza29

Juniors
Broadcast side looked packed, both levels as well...I have no idea where 8-10k more are meant to fit there

There were a lot small gaps around the place, 2-3 seats with nobody in them. I guess it's a credit to the stadium designers that the place seems full even at 23k.

There is always a massive gap down the Olympic Boulevard end where Storm sold reserved seat memberships for their cheer squad. Problem is that the view is much better from further back in the GA area so the cheer squad don't sit in their reserved seats, leaving them empty.

Great atmosphere though, I know a lot of first-timers who were there and they got a good show.

Then make it 25k and 13k

BDGS

Bench
Great crowds at both games on Friday night.

Supposed to have been 15,126 at ANZ tonight. Must have been a lot of people hiding in the toilets.

I was at that game and just before kick off i had a look around and said to a mate "looks to be around 15k".

I watched the recording i made for myself today and it looks a lot less on TV.

But it does go along with what i have being saying for ages. Predicting crowds off TV broadcast can never be accurate.

Great crowd in Melbourne too, top stuff Storm fans.

HHH

Juniors
i know we play a winter sport but bad weather has really affected this seasons crowds
eg
sharks vs dragons rd 2 (12000) 20000
cowboys vs storm rd 3 (8000) 15000
dragon vs bulldogs rd 5 (31000) 38000
roosters vs broncos rd 6 (8000) 16000
rooster vs dragon rd 7 (34000) 40000
broncos vs bulldogs rd 8 (30000) 35000
knights vs eels rd 12 (18000) 23000
panther vs bunnies rd 12 (7000) 13000
bunnies vs broncos rd 16 (15000) 22000
broncos vs titans rd 19 (30000) 38000
bulldogs vs eels rd 20 (15000) 30000

those estimates are just guesses i know but they are based on what those teams would probaby of got if it not for the weather

these dont take into account plenty of games at brookie and mt smart that have been affected by rain, plus a couple of days when it was pissing down early that had an effect on the crowd figures

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Why do punidts etc continue with the line that titans crowds are low because an afl game is on up the road. Just heard it used again on 2GB by the ground reporter

Evenflow

Bench
Then make it 25k and 13k

It still wouldn't make a difference. To beat the record average we'd have to get an aggregate crowd of around 41.5k in the last 2 games. While i've no doubt we'll get a similar or even better crowd of say 25k against the queens it's hard to see there being an above average crowd against the Panthers.

That's no offence to them but they just haven't been a great drawer against us since Melbourne's inception. There's always plenty of variables when it comes to crowds and i'd love to be able to get that 41.5k but i can't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.