What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
Yep. I agree with Belmore being used for 3 or 4 games as well.

Use like the Tigers do with Leichhardt and people will bust their guts to get there.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Form is definitely a crowd-attractor... had the Dragons been winning I have no doubt the crowd would've been much bigger. Same goes for Canterbury.

That said, tonight's game is a perfect argument for us holding 3 or 4 home games (against lesser sides) at Belmore when it's ready.

Cowboys are not a great drawing club primarily due to geographic reasons. They are the perfect side to play when sides are looking to play games at more exotic venues. If I was a CEO of a Sydney club I'd be looking at Darwin as an option to play the cowboys, league has a strong presence there and the cowboys are well supported.

8000 at anz is sad.

Brutus

Referee
Yes Darwin is a great option for the Cowboys.

It's a joke we don't take at least 1 NRL match to the Top End each year.

Teddyboy

First Grade
BunniesMan called it. BunniesMan is a genius.

Noone in Sydney wants to watch the Cowboys. Especially with a blockbuster down the road.

People keep laughing about it but Sydney derbys are crucial for the strength of our crowds. Noone cares about a game against a team in another corner of the country.

Well maybe for Leagues sake we shouldn't have any Queensland teams in the NRL if no-one in Sydney is going to go out and watch them,Maybe the BRL should of had there own f**kin comp.

f**k I feel sorry for the Titans/Cowboy team's as no-one want's to watch them at home and no-one want's to watch them away, yet they had great crowds for the first 2/3 years.

beave

Coach
Well maybe for Leagues sake we shouldn't have any Queensland teams in the NRL if no-one in Sydney is going to go out and watch them,Maybe the BRL should of had there own f**kin comp.

f**k I feel sorry for the Titans/Cowboy team's as no-one want's to watch them at home and no-one want's to watch them away, yet they had great crowds for the first 2/3 years.

I swear you sprout off shit on a daily basis in here, the only f**king reason the cowboys are still in the comp is soley because we've had good crowds since day dot (16 years ago), I swear some of you wouldn't know anything about the game if it happened more than a year ago. We've got average crowds this season for reasons that have been explained on here time and time again, pull your head out of your British ass.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
27,687 at the SFS was a bit .. meh
at the low end of expectations ...

8,654 at homebush as also... a bit lower then expectations
seriously anyone who thought this game would get 15K was dreaming
the Cows bring no one ... the Dogs are all but dusted for 2011, an awfully unattractive match

I agree with sentiments about moving these types of games away from homebush
Darwin ... Cairns ...
yes .. even Belmore ( 9K there would look OK )

& the Sharks should also never be playing games against sides like the Titans at Shark Park either
there'd be 20 places in country NSW who'd love to host it ... & get a bigger crowd then the pityful crowd expected tonight
come on CEO's
lets get it right ;-)

beave

Coach
'insert interstate team name here' bring no one................. great, I will use that line every time a Sydney team comes to Tvl to play us, I gurantee there would be a handful of fans flying up from Sydney to watch their team play, why the f**k is it expected that we should come down there en masse???...........

I love how we get bagged if we don't get 18-20k every game up here but when we come down south to play the same cannot be expected of the home fans down there?? Double standards much?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
To be fair beave, you have a captive audience up there, one-team town etc.

Tonight, the Dogs/Cows match was contending against our own code - Tigers/Dragons across town. I know at least 10 people personally who would've attended both had they not been scheduled simultaneously.

bobmar28

Bench
Lets hope the billion dollar contract means subsidising ticket sales will be possible. Why have 72,000 empty seats when fans can be admitted half price? It will look better on TV and make the rights more valuable in the future.

beave

Coach
To be fair beave, you have a captive audience up there, one-team town etc.

Tonight, the Dogs/Cows match was contending against our own code - Tigers/Dragons across town. I know at least 10 people personally who would've attended both had they not been scheduled simultaneously.

yeah the clash of games wasn't going to help last night, but for people to say that we don't get many of our own fans traveling down there is highly hypocritical when the same isn't expected when the out of state teams play us up here mate.

beave

Coach
Lets hope the billion dollar contract means subsidising ticket sales will be possible. Why have 72,000 empty seats when fans can be admitted half price? It will look better on TV and make the rights more valuable in the future.

I honestly don't even think subsidizing ticket prices will help all that much, people would still prefer to stay in and watch it in the comfort of their own home and have their own beer and food. It's sad as I love nothing more personally than getting out to the game but for some people it's not the same I guess.

Pazza

First Grade
'insert interstate team name here' bring no one................. great, I will use that line every time a Sydney team comes to Tvl to play us, I gurantee there would be a handful of fans flying up from Sydney to watch their team play, why the f**k is it expected that we should come down there en masse???...........

I love how we get bagged if we don't get 18-20k every game up here but when we come down south to play the same cannot be expected of the home fans down there?? Double standards much?

you only get one game a fortnight....

beave

Coach
and when you Sydney teams play each other, you have 2 sets of fan bases to draw upon (actually when playing the likes of the dragons/tigers, you will have 3 sets of fan bases to draw from). This argument can go on for days really.

user_nat

Coach
I can understand the whole one town club excuse when comparing Sydney clubs to Brisbane and maybe the Gold Coast.
But not to North Queensland. Sydney has what.. 20x more people than Townsvile?

Teddyboy

First Grade

Well I think you should kick the crap out of Gallop because yo won my choice.

beave

Coach
I can understand the whole one town club excuse when comparing Sydney clubs to Brisbane and maybe the Gold Coast.

probably closer to 25x tbh. But the towns around Tvl (Ayr, Bowen, Ingham, Cardwell, Innisfail) there is about 50k people in those towns combined from which we draw from heavily as well, it's just not a Tvl team.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I highly doubt NQ pull from only Townsville.

And I reckon per capita there are far more like-minded people in TSV than there are in Sydney. So many different cultures and communities in Sydney, plenty who would have NFI about league.

docbrown

Coach
That said, tonight's game is a perfect argument for us holding 3 or 4 home games (against lesser sides) at Belmore when it's ready.

What will be the capacity?

It's probably better to have the lower drawing out of Sydney teams play there.

docbrown

Coach
Cowboys are not a great drawing club primarily due to geographic reasons. They are the perfect side to play when sides are looking to play games at more exotic venues. If I was a CEO of a Sydney club I'd be looking at Darwin as an option to play the cowboys, league has a strong presence there and the cowboys are well supported.

8000 at anz is sad.

WA Reds vs NQ Cowboys should play in Darwin every year.

beave

Coach
I highly doubt NQ pull from only Townsville.

And I reckon per capita there are far more like-minded people in TSV than there are in Sydney. So many different cultures and communities in Sydney, plenty who would have NFI about league.

There's a big population of military (about 7k plus whatever family they bring with them), fly in fly out miners and a big Uni here though Tim, alot of these people are from the AFL aligned states or if they are from another league area, they don't really care about the cowboys all that much as they have their own team to follow. It doesn't sound like much but in a city this size, it has a big effect. League is the number one sport here for sure, I know most people aren't advocating for us to be kicked out or doubting why we were ever included into the comp (there's a few assclowns that are, but their opinion means f**k all in my eyes), but I think the NRL is all the better for having us IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts