What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

beave

Coach
Indeed, I don't know why the NRL don't do it. I know the chooks dragons and storm warriors game are trying to get a tradition going but I wish the NRL would include us in somewhere with the ANZAC day remembrance.

Last edited:

Smiley

Bench
Looking good for Broncos vs Warriors, best pre-sales since round 1 but might be let down by fewer corporates compared to a Friday night.

user_nat

Coach
Looking good for Broncos vs Warriors, best pre-sales since round 1 but might be let down by fewer corporates compared to a Friday night.

Really?

Was just buying tickets an hour ago and you can still get some pretty good seats. Less seats available for the Manly game (although maybe they haven't opened it all up yet?).

cleary89

Coach
To be fair beave, you have a captive audience up there, one-team town etc.

Tonight, the Dogs/Cows match was contending against our own code - Tigers/Dragons across town. I know at least 10 people personally who would've attended both had they not been scheduled simultaneously.

The bigger question is... Which one did you go to?

Smiley

Bench
Really?

Was just buying tickets an hour ago and you can still get some pretty good seats. Less seats available for the Manly game (although maybe they haven't opened it all up yet?).

Compared to the Melbourne and St. George games, more sections have been opened and sold.

For the Manly game they haven't opened the upper tier of the eastern grandstand and didn't open it for the Warriors game till about 2 days ago. My guess is it cost the Broncos extra to have it open so they wait for other sections to fill first before open it.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well maybe for Leagues sake we shouldn't have any Queensland teams in the NRL if no-one in Sydney is going to go out and watch them,Maybe the BRL should of had there own f**kin comp.

f**k I feel sorry for the Titans/Cowboy team's as no-one want's to watch them at home and no-one want's to watch them away, yet they had great crowds for the first 2/3 years.
Well that's obviously ridiculous. Firstly the Broncos being a big club do sometimes draw decent crowds in Sydney. Secondly the value of your clubs to the NRL is in the tv rights, not crowds.

I never said "tell the qld clubs to f**k off from our comp". I simply said how important Sydney club v Sydney club matches are for our crowds. Everyone not from Sydney constantly says there's too many clubs in Sydney, to fold/relocate X number of them etc etc, but Sydney derbys are crucial for the health of our crowds.

A big portion of fans either cant or wont go to every game. At the start of the year they circle some of the games as cant miss and only go to those. Noone in Sydney will circle a game against smaller non Sydney clubs (ie those clubs not named Broncos, Storm and perhaps the Knights) and make sure they get to it. Only the diehards go to those kinds of games.

This is why every Sydney club should play each other twice (which is more or less the case anyway).
'insert interstate team name here' bring no one................. great, I will use that line every time a Sydney team comes to Tvl to play us, I gurantee there would be a handful of fans flying up from Sydney to watch their team play, why the f**k is it expected that we should come down there en masse???...........

I love how we get bagged if we don't get 18-20k every game up here but when we come down south to play the same cannot be expected of the home fans down there?? Double standards much?
Noone said it's expected. I for one don't expect it. I'm just stating facts of life, not calling your club a failure.

user_nat

Coach
Compared to the Melbourne and St. George games, more sections have been opened and sold.

For the Manly game they haven't opened the upper tier of the eastern grandstand and didn't open it for the Warriors game till about 2 days ago. My guess is it cost the Broncos extra to have it open so they wait for other sections to fill first before open it.

Yeah I just checked again. Maroon category has gone to single seats since I got my tickets. So I guess I got in at a good time :D

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Will be plenty of Warriors fans there tonight. However they will all probably get in right on kick off after watching the Union at neighbouring pubs.

BDGS

Bench
lol at some of the posters thinking and excuses.

Terrible crowd last night at dogs/cows, no excuses.

Looking at the crowd at tigers/dragons it was a joke that some people who thought that would ever sell out.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
lol at some of the posters thinking and excuses.

Terrible crowd last night at dogs/cows, no excuses.

Looking at the crowd at tigers/dragons it was a joke that some people who thought that would ever sell out.
Do you understand the difference between reasons and excuses? :lol:

azza29

Juniors

Only slightly bigger than the crowd who turned up to see the very average St Kilda take on a traditionally low-drawing Fremantle in Melbourne.

The NRL needs fewer armchair supporters who think that watching Foxtel constitutes supporting their team. They ought to be getting at least 45k+ to games where two Sydney-based teams are involved.

Suitman

Post Whore
Only slightly bigger than the crowd who turned up to see the very average St Kilda take on a traditionally low-drawing Fremantle in Melbourne.

The NRL needs fewer armchair supporters who think that watching Foxtel constitutes supporting their team. They ought to be getting at least 45k+ to games where two Sydney-based teams are involved.

I agree. But how do you suggest we do that?
I'm at a loss to be honest.

Suity

azza29

Juniors
I agree. But how do you suggest we do that?
I'm at a loss to be honest.

Suity

- cheaper tickets ($20 GA, $50 family)
- release schedule same time as fixture, or at least two months in advance of games, to allow people to plan ahead
- use ANZ stadium sparingly, local team vs interstate should be played at one of the smaller grounds

Beyond that, I'm not sure. Sydney has the issue of stadiums spread across the city which makes transport difficult (case in point, after today's Storm game it will take me all of 15 minutes to get to the Essendon match at Etihad).

Storm put on a good show in Melbourne, if this is the standard across the board then I honestly don't understand why people prefer it on TV. Even more so than AFL, league is far better when you're there in person.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Sydney's shit public transport and shit plan and layout hurts. Melbourne is built perfectly on more suitable geography with 2 central stadiums near the CBD that are in the geographic heart of the city.

Just take a look at google maps and see what Melbourne looks like and see what Sydney looks like. A sport based in Melbourne has so many natural advantages in terms of transport/geography/roads etc etc over one in Sydney.

Living in Melbourne it's so much easier to get to and from an AFL game than living in Sydney and getting to and from an NRL game.

Billythekid

First Grade
Sydney's shit public transport and shit plan and layout hurts. Melbourne is built perfectly on more suitable geography with 2 central stadiums near the CBD that are in the geographic heart of the city.

Just take a look at google maps and see what Melbourne looks like and see what Sydney looks like. A sport based in Melbourne has so many natural advantages in terms of transport/geography/roads etc etc over one in Sydney.

Living in Melbourne it's so much easier to get to and from an AFL game than living in Sydney and getting to and from an NRL game.

This excuse doesn't sit to well when you consider the crowds the swans get.

I'm sure it has an impact but i think there are plenty of issues that the NRL can actually address directly if they want to improve crowds.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I wasn't even referring to your post or any made on this page. :roll:
Didn't say you were - I was illustrating that most of the posts I've seen about last night's crowd indicated reasons for the poor crowd, not excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts