What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bear

Referee
I didn't think the dogs/souths game deserved a full house. In saying that the turn out of the Souths fans was disappointing. But to suggest the Dogs/Souths game deserved 85,000 people to attend that game is moronic.

But to expect 45k to show up to an traditional game played between last years two grand finalist on ANZAC day, it not an 'out there' expectation.

EDIT: I've just found out that our highest attendance ever at the SFS is only 41,260. There that game deserve to get higher then 40k.

Pretty disappointing that the A-leagues highest crowd at the SFS is higher then our highest.
Im assuming this is a grand final or state of origin match, which would've been 98 or earlier, before the increased capacity from 41K to about 45K (possibly slightly less) which occured in about 05/06 off season (maybe a year later, cant remember exactly).

Also, biggest crowd was in 97 at the grand final, 42482

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I still maintain Souths, with their current membership drive, would get bigger crowds at the SFS. I think most league fans prefer it to ANZ.

BDGS

Bench
Because ANZ is the only alternative large, modern ground in RL. You go on about the SFS yet ANZ, the alternative, is a shit ground that benifits from having two of the 5 biggest clubs in Sydney playing out of it, and occasional games from one of the other big teams. The football stadium has regular games from Easts, who'd be above Penrith Cronulla and roughly equal with Manly in terms of size and just three games from the Tigers.

Souths crowds increasing is also partly to do with a much bigger membership campaign and with a better onfield side compared with the SFS days.

Your blind dislike of the SFS is somewhat ridiculous and takes in absolutely no view of the mitigating factors storm fan.

Oh ffs, I get accused of being a bears fan by the qld bid supporters and now I'm a storm fan because I think SFS crowds are disappointing?

Btw, I don't hate the ground, I think the SFS is the best built rugby league stadium in Sydney that suffers because for families who have to travel log distances to get to it's hard, unless they want to take their kids on an minimum of two bus rides and 2 train trips and a maximum of 4 train trips when trains don't run directly into the city from the west.

How that makes me a storm fan i will never know.

BDGS

Bench
just below 36K last year think, but as far as i can see the third biggest regular season crowd between easts/Sydney Roosters and St George/St George Illawarra in 90 years of rugby league. Those three crowds have all been in the last two seasons. We're improving and it's good to see

I agree, no body said otherwise.

Red Bear

Referee
you post in a very similar style to a poster on a different messageboard who calls himself 'storm fan' thats all, just a little bit of, err, jumping to conclusions or something

BDGS

Bench
Im assuming this is a grand final or state of origin match, which would've been 98 or earlier, before the increased capacity from 41K to about 45K (possibly slightly less) which occured in about 05/06 off season (maybe a year later, cant remember exactly).

Also, biggest crowd was in 97 at the grand final, 42482

According to austadiums it's 41,260 and it was a game between st George Illawarra and the wests tigers in 2005.

adamkungl

Immortal
What I think BDGS is suggesting is that all the Eastern teams play in Western Sydney to make it easier for the Penrith fans.

:lol: 2-4 train trips. Every train station in Sydney has a train that goes to Central!

Danish

Referee
What I think BDGS is suggesting is that all the Eastern teams play in Western Sydney to make it easier for the Penrith fans.

:lol: 2-4 train trips. Every train station in Sydney has a train that goes to Central!

Just about every train station in the COUNTRY has a train that goes to central :D

CMUX

I believe if the world class stadium was easier accessible by public transport crowds would increase by a significant number. While its current location is great for the locals, anybody having to travelling from around about Parramatta or further out to get to the SFS ... it's no easy feet if they are restricted to only trains as their only mode of transportation.

While for guys like me this is not a problem, i think crowds for teams who play at the SFS against teams like the Wests Tigers, Penrith Panthers, Parramatta Eels and the Canterbury Bulldogs would be larger if families could access the ground easier via public transport.

How is the ground not easy to access? Most (if not all) train lines have a limited/express service to central and on game day there is a bus from central (5 minute trip).

CC_Roosters

First Grade
How is the ground not easy to access? Most (if not all) train lines have a limited/express service to central and on game day there is a bus from central (5 minute trip).

Agreed. I usually train it from hornsby which has regular northern and north shore services to central but the deal breaker is the central coast train which goes through every half hour and only stops at epping, eastwood, strathfield and central. What is it from penrith anyway? 1 hour tops?? Surely short enough to warrant a trip to a major finals match ala the roosters v penrith game last year!

In many British stadia, that 10 minute walk from the closest train station would be considered short so man up aussies.

bazza

Immortal
just below 36K last year think, but as far as i can see the third biggest regular season crowd between easts/Sydney Roosters and St George/St George Illawarra in 90 years of rugby league. Those three crowds have all been in the last two seasons. We're improving and it's good to see

Yep - just under last years record effort
I reckon Anzac day being mixed with Easter this year would have meant a lot more people on holidays than being in Sydney

BDGS

Bench

I'm not suggesting that at all. I just would think crowds would increase if it was easier accessible for all people in Sydney.

Why do you feel this is some kind of crack against your club? It has nothing to do with the Roosters. Maybe some insecurities coming out for whatever reason i'm not sure.

Yep, and if you want to be sitting on your arse for an hour 20 mins go right ahead, but the fact is a train trip for some families in Sydney to get to another station that has 'express trains' to central can be up to 20-30 mins on the train already!

Then when you come back, there is not one train coming back form the city that stops at all stops, so there is switching and swapping for a lot of travelers.

see above.

CMUX

What is it from penrith anyway? 1 hour tops?? Surely short enough to warrant a trip to a major finals match ala the roosters v penrith game last year!

Approx times to get to central from major/furthest points in Sydney via train

Penrith – 50 minutes for a Mountains train, 70 minutes for other trains (1 train)
Campbelltown – Approx 60 minutes (1 train)
Cronulla/Sutherland – Approx 50 and 35 minutes respectively (1 train)
Hornsby – 36 – 50 minutes depending on train (1 train)
Liverpool – Approx 60 minutes (1 Train)

Obviously trains from other centres i.e. Parramatta/Blacktown etc. are within those times.

Times to get to Olympic Park from same places (assuming no special event trains i.e. most matches at ANZ)

Penrith – 40 - 60 min depending on train (2 trains)
Campbelltown – 60 – 70 min (2 trains)
Cronulla/Sutherland – 60 – 80 min (2 trains)
Hornsby – 40 – 50 min (2 trains)
Liverpool – Approx 40 min (2 trains)

So the only one with a significant improvement in travel times is Liverpool.

CMUX

Yep, and if you want to be sitting on your arse for an hour 20 mins go right ahead, but the fact is a train trip for some families in Sydney to get to another station that has 'express trains' to central can be up to 20-30 mins on the train already!

Then when you come back, there is not one train coming back form the city that stops at all stops, so there is switching and swapping for a lot of travelers.

See my previous post.

Those same problems (worse in some cases) are encountered when travelling to/from Olympic Park.

BDGS

Bench

Approx times to get to central from major/furthest points in Sydney via train

Penrith – 50 minutes for a Mountains train, 70 minutes for other trains (1 train)
Campbelltown – Approx 60 minutes (1 train)
Cronulla/Sutherland – Approx 50 and 35 minutes respectively (1 train)
Hornsby – 36 – 50 minutes depending on train (1 train)
Liverpool – Approx 60 minutes (1 Train)

Obviously trains from other centres i.e. Parramatta/Blacktown etc. are within those times.

Times to get to Olympic Park from same places (assuming no special event trains i.e. most matches at ANZ)

Penrith – 40 - 60 min depending on train (2 trains)
Campbelltown – 60 – 70 min (2 trains)
Cronulla/Sutherland – 60 – 80 min (2 trains)
Hornsby – 40 – 50 min (2 trains)
Liverpool – Approx 40 min (2 trains)

So the only one with a significant improvement in travel times is Liverpool.

Those figures to Olympic park are wrong. Penrith to Olympic park is about 30-40 minutes tops.

Because i know for certain that is wrong, because i have done the trip many times. I do not trust any of the above figures although the ones to the city look about right.

Even though i've tried not to make this an SFS vs ANZ thing, if you lot are going to do this it is important to note that at Olympic park you are dropped off right outside the entry gates comapred to the SFS where you need to catch more public transports.

I know if i had young kids i wouldn't do that too them.

BDGS

Bench
You've also got to weigh into the sum with waiting times on platforms often being around 20 minutes and then travelling to and from your local station. That can over an half hour already, and that's before you have caught a train to your destination.

Also i don't know how you worked out that a train from Penrith to the city is 70 minutes while that same train to olympic park is 60 minutes long :s

Status
Not open for further replies.