What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMUX

Those figures to Olympic park are wrong. Penrith to Olympic park is about 30-40 minutes tops.

Because i know for certain that is wrong, because i have done the trip many times. I do not trust any of the above figures although the ones to the city look about right.

Even though i've tried not to make this an SFS vs ANZ thing, if you lot are going to do this it is important to note that at Olympic park you are dropped off right outside the entry gates comapred to the SFS where you need to catch more public transports.

I know if i had young kids i wouldn't do that too them.

I am happy to be proven wrong on my times. All my figures come from city rail timetables/the “trip planner” function they have and they also take into account the time you are waiting between trains.

You have a point regarding the bus, so add 10 minutes on the travel time.

You've also got to weigh into the sum with waiting times on platforms often being around 20 minutes and then travelling to and from your local station. That can over an half hour already, and that's before you have caught a train to your destination.

Also i don't know how you worked out that a train from Penrith to the city is 70 minutes while that same train to olympic park is 60 minutes long :s

As I said, the times take into account how long you wait between trains. You will note that whilst the vast majority of commuters can get to the city via 1 train, it takes 2 to get to Olympic Park.

As for waiting on platforms, the same issue arises with going to Olympic Park.

You say you don’t want to make it a SFS VS ANZ issue; surely you can’t be making it about other grounds as all the suburban grounds are harder to get to the further you live away.

The point is that the SFS is in a good location and is easy to get to. It’s no different for a family to travel there to go to the footy then it is for them to go to the Zoo or Aquarium etc.

BDGS

Bench
"You say you don’t want to make it a SFS VS ANZ issue; surely you can’t be making it about other grounds as all the suburban grounds are harder to get to the further you live away."

I'm not making it the SFS vs any other ground. Just an issue i have and been brought up to me regarding the SFS. You or anyone else here doesn't have to agree with me but its just something i have found associated with this venue.

"All my figures come from city rail timetables/the “trip planner” function"

That's probably where you have gone wrong, are trains ever on time after 11am?

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm not suggesting that at all. I just would think crowds would increase if it was easier accessible for all people in Sydney.

How can you possibly have an Eastern Sydney stadium that is any easier to access for all people in Sydney, short of the government building a new train line just for you. What you're saying makes no sense. The city is 70-80km across from East to West ffs.

I can just as easily claim ANZ crowds would increase if it were easier to access. It's fine for locals but a total pain in the arse to get to from the East. In fact, most places. Bus or train to central, train to Lidcombe and then a second train. Central is serviced by every line in Sydney. Lidcombe is not. Which is easier to access for most of Sydney?

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
You must be slow, you keep coming to conclusions that make no sense.

How can you possibly have an Eastern Sydney stadium that is any easier to access for all people in Sydney, short of the government building a new train line just for you. What you're saying makes no sense. The city is 70-80km across from East to West ffs.

If a train stopped just outside the ground like Suncorp's and whatever the area is called where all the stadiums are in Melbourne the crowds figures would go up.

I can just as easily claim ANZ crowds would increase if it were easier to access. It's fine for locals but a total pain in the arse to get to from the East. In fact, most places. Bus or train to central, train to Lidcombe and then a second train. Central is serviced by every line in Sydney. Lidcombe is not. Which is easier to access for most of Sydney?

No, because unlike the SFS, the ANZ train stops you on the door step of the ground making it the easiest accessible ground in all of Sydney.

Doesn't anyone in Sydney have a car?

Car's only carry 5 people, also getting away from packed stadiums takes a long time getting out of the car parks, even if you do park in what was once a quiet spot.

Whats this??

lol

RedVee

First Grade
If a train stopped just outside the ground like Suncorp's and whatever the area is called where all the stadiums are in Melbourne the crowds figures would go up.

No, because unlike the SFS, the ANZ train stops you on the door step of the ground making it the easiest accessible ground in all of Sydney.

Campbelltown Stadium is right next to Leumeah Station.

Car's only carry 5 people, also getting away from packed stadiums takes a long time getting out of the car parks, even if you do park in what was once a quiet spot.

SFS is prob the worst for the official parking areas. The couple of times I've tried its taken an hour to get out of the parking area after the game.
Great ground for league though.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
SFS is indeed great for league but transport to and from, regardless of the method, is really shitehouse. It's probably impossible but a train line direct to the ground would probably help that.

Regardless of the necessity of changing trains for ANZ - the train drops you TWO HUNDRED METRES (maybe 250? havent measured it) from the front door of the stadium.

As for people trying to reason with travel times - I don't think that's necessarily a problem. Families with 2, 3 kids are the ones you need to capture and often it's a mammoth task to get a whole family prepared, get them all the way to the game etc etc.

It's bizarre that people on here think only one type of person (the passionate footy fan) attend games.

BDGS

Bench
doesn't anyone in sydney have a car?

sfs is indeed great for league but transport to and from, regardless of the method, is really shitehouse. It's probably impossible but a train line direct to the ground would probably help that.

Regardless of the necessity of changing trains for anz - the train drops you two hundred metres (maybe 250? Havent measured it) from the front door of the stadium.

As for people trying to reason with travel times - i don't think that's necessarily a problem. Families with 2, 3 kids are the ones you need to capture and often it's a mammoth task to get a whole family prepared, get them all the way to the game etc etc.

It's bizarre that people on here think only one type of person (the passionate footy fan) attend games.

thank you!!!!

adamkungl

Immortal
hold on, a few hours ago BDGS was saying the problem was that you had to change 4 times :lol: now it's too far from central. Righto.

BDGS

Bench
hold on, a few hours ago BDGS was saying the problem was that you had to change 4 times :lol: now it's too far from central. Righto.

Hello smartarse.

I never once said it was one or the other but both.

Having to catch up to 2 trains there and back and then 2 buses from Central to the SFS is not ideal for families.

However, why would you give a shit about that?

You probably don't have kids of your own that you have to get ready, take out and look after all day. You can just go on a pub crawl there and back. good for you.

I'm sure every person that goes to our games is exactly like you. A diehard without kids. :roll:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
SFS is indeed great for league but transport to and from, regardless of the method, is really shitehouse. It's probably impossible but a train line direct to the ground would probably help that.

Regardless of the necessity of changing trains for ANZ - the train drops you TWO HUNDRED METRES (maybe 250? havent measured it) from the front door of the stadium.

As for people trying to reason with travel times - I don't think that's necessarily a problem. Families with 2, 3 kids are the ones you need to capture and often it's a mammoth task to get a whole family prepared, get them all the way to the game etc etc.

i remember a while back there was an article in the SMH and it was in 7 news as well (pre election) that the incoming LNP gov't if elected would do a feasability study on extending the light rail line from central via the SFS/SCG to UNSW and beyond. That would be awesome and could be on the cards given B'OF seems intent on leaving an infastructure legacy.

Found the election pledge

http://www.nsw.liberal.org.au/news/...ntegrate-and-expand-light-rail-in-sydney.html

number 5 is the relevant one

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
Wouldn't bother with trains to homebush from the shire. All the way into redfern, then getting a train that actually goes to homebush.

Happy with car to either though, got my free parking spots 10-15 min walk away.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Your problem is that you're looking for "trains that go to Homebush".

Homebush is a minor station with absolutely ZERO relevance to Olympic Park. Get a train from Redfern to Strathfield (major event times - Easter Show, finals etc) or Lidcombe (all other times).

The amount of people who think Homebush is relevant to Olympic Park is astounding.

Your problem is that you're looking for "trains that go to Homebush".

Homebush is a minor station with absolutely ZERO relevance to Olympic Park. Get a train from Redfern to Strathfield (major event times - Easter Show, finals etc) or Lidcombe (all other times).

The amount of people who think Homebush is relevant to Olympic Park is astounding.

You don't think you're maybe jumping to conclusions here? Just a little bit?

A reasonable person would surely conclude from the context of his comments that he's referring to the Olympic Park area at Homebush, not Homebush Railway Station.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't see why a light rail to Moore Park would be even remotely helpful. There's already a bus service on game day. It's 1 extra transport link either way.

adamkungl

Immortal
Lets do a comparison.
SFS is easier to get to from:
-East Sydney
-South Sydney
-St George
-Shire
-Northern beaches
-City
-North shore

ANZ is easier to get to from
-Western Sydney
-South West
-North West

hmm

beave

Coach
Seriously, if you want to go to the footy bad enough and you love your team you will get there regardless. Without turning this into a pissing contest, but anyone see the lady during the telecast of the titans cowboys game??? She trains it up from Rockhampton to most games here in Tvl........ Just to give you an idea on how far that is, i just drove it last week and it took 9 hours so add probably 50% of time ontop of that for the slower train and all the stops it has to do.......... Pretty remarkable imo but it's not an isolated case.

People in sydney shouldn't be whinging about access to any stadium, bar maybe brookie and leichardt.... They are probably the 2 most inaccessable grounds from my experience but if you have a car then let's be totally honest, there is no ground that is impossible to get to.

Last edited:

CMUX

Hello smartarse.

I never once said it was one or the other but both.

Having to catch up to 2 trains there and back and then 2 buses from Central to the SFS is not ideal for families.

However, why would you give a shit about that?

You probably don't have kids of your own that you have to get ready, take out and look after all day. You can just go on a pub crawl there and back. good for you.

I'm sure every person that goes to our games is exactly like you. A diehard without kids.

Again with the family stuff

We have already shown that it is just as easy/hard to get to ANZ as it is to get to SFS from various locations in Sydney.

Playing games on a Sunday will lead to more families attending than any other factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.