What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Well round 9 last year had 56,639 across the 4 games so to catch up 2010 they need 100,971 this round and I can't see that happening but it might get more than 57k to gain some ground.

Round 10 has some some promising match ups though -

Bulldogs vs Dragons
Rabbitohs vs Tigers
Cowboys vs Eels
Knights vs Warriors

However Round 10 last year was pretty big - 162,984 - so unless large crowds turns up to those 4 games I think we'll fall even further behind as the other games feature the Panthers/Raiders/Sharks and we're approaching the Origin dip from Rounds 11-17.

I think it will be how strong the attendances are during those origin rounds that will likely determine whether crowds go up or down this season.

That said there are some promising potentially large club games from Round 18 onwards.

no we won't crack 100K this round
but we'll do a lot better then 57K.. & we'll catch up again based on this

Rnd 9
Broncos V Storm 40K
Titans V Warriors 20K ( lots of Test/Titans tickets being sold)
Dragons V Cowboys 16K
Manly V Raiders 10K

thats 86K odd

Rnd 10 2010 was a full round .... ,

Rnd 10 this year is a split round & provided the weather stays fine
( it has f--ked up some crowds this year ) we're heading for a round average bigger then Rnd 1 :shock:

Bulldogs vs Dragons 40K
Rabbitohs vs Tigers 25K
Cowboys vs Eels 20K
Knights vs Warriors 20K

105K for 4 games at an average of 26,250.... wow !

thats 191K for 8 games in rnds 9/10 this year ( average 23,875) ... season average back to 17,995

up against 220K for 12 games ... Rnd 9/10 in 2010 average 18,300
& a season total at rnd 10 of 18,015
all of this achievable

& even allowing for the cr@p weather .. we're back on about level pegging

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Rnd 10 2010 was a full round .... ,

Rnd 10 this year is a split round & provided the weather stays fine
( it has f--ked up some crowds this year ) we're heading for a round average bigger then Rnd 1 :shock:

Bulldogs vs Dragons 40K
Rabbitohs vs Tigers 25K
Cowboys vs Eels 20K
Knights vs Warriors 20K

105K for 4 games at an average of 26,250.... wow !

Round 9 has only 4 games, Round 10 has a full 8.

I only listed those 4 particular games for Round 10 because they'll draw the largest crowds.

The other 4 round 10 games are:
Penrith vs Broncos
Storm vs Raiders
Sharks vs Roosters
Titans vs Sea Eagles (Monday)

Like I said Round 10 last year was pretty big - 162,984

Can't see Round 10 this year beating that, might come close depending on those 4 big games.

However we're still like to be 30,000-40,000 behind after Round 10. Just my guess.

cleary89

Coach
so a below 20k crowd for the premiers and world club champ in their first game at home is good?

if that's the way it is, Rugby League in Australia is stuffed.

Maybe it is. How are you going to help fix it? Or you just going to whinge?

BDGS

Bench
Dragons aren't the first premiers to get sub 20k.
In the last decade sub 20ks for the first home game:
Brisbane 2001
Newcastle 2002
Penrith 2004 (19,936)
Manly 2009

Melbourne got over 20k in 08 and '10, but not at their regular home ground, so that's similar to Dragons this year.

That's nice, this is 2011 and not those years. That's why i'm bringing it up about the Dragons.

Our first home game as premiers got 30,000 in the pouring wet.

That wasn't a home game, it was a 'home' game. Of course a game played during heritage round against another crowd puller is gonna go well.

But when the St George Illawarra Dragons start playing more then one game at the SCG, an SCG game is not their home ground its a neutral venue.

Maybe it is. How are you going to help fix it? Or you just going to whinge?

I haven't 'whinged' once, i brought up something that was disappointing and something we should try (as a game) to improve on. But that has been labelled whinging because the Dragons are above criticism. :roll:

ghostface

Juniors
I thought the Sunday crowd was good. I dare say 17k were Dragons fans and the rest were parra fans...obviously not a stat it just so happened that there were lots and lots of Dragons fans. I had to pick up my membership and as a result missed the first 10 mins My brother and I had no chance of getting on the hill and like a lot of others had to stand near the concourse to watch the game.

Thats just to give an indication that it was reasonably packed, i think if they packed in another 2 or 3k into the ground it would actually make it incredibly uncomfortable. It would have been nice to see a sellout but it looks as though Parra fans didn't really show up.

adamkungl

Immortal
so a below 20k crowd for the premiers and world club champ in their first game at home is good?

if that's the way it is, Rugby League in Australia is stuffed.

Why are we stuffed. In the last week did our costs suddenly rise to the point where 20k crowds are unsustainable?

BDGS

Bench
Why are we stuffed. In the last week did our costs suddenly rise to the point where 20k crowds are unsustainable?

they got a below 20k crowd.

for the premiers, club champions, biggest supporter base, biggest supporter group, one of the biggest membered teams who haven't played at home all year for 7 weeks and they got below 20k.

If that is acceptable, or the norm, Then we are stuffed.

fanatique

Juniors

for the premiers, club champions, biggest supporter base, biggest supporter group, one of the biggest membered teams who haven't played at home all year for 7 weeks and they got below 20k.

i know it might be fun trying to suggest the Dragons didn't come out but it wasn't their first home game. It was the first at kogarah...not quite the same thing. They got 31,000 at their first home game. You can put the word "Home" in parenthesis if you want to but that doesn't change the fact that it was a home game fro the Dragons who now average about 25,000 "at home".

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
We also had the ANZAC game last week, which always gets a big turnout from both teams. You'd expect some casual fans who may have otherwise gone to the Parra game would have instead chosen to go to the ANZAC game. From a brief glance at the records, it does appear that the next home game for both the Roosters and Dragons following the ANZAC game tends to see a dip in numbers.

beave

Coach
surely this sunday there will be a decent crowd at Kograh?? The excuse that no one wants to watch us because we are a rubbish team who play like ass is well and truly laid to rest (well up til now I guess, don't want to get ahead of myself) so who's to say Kograh won't get 18-19k again????

kurt faulk

Coach
We also had the ANZAC game last week, which always gets a big turnout from both teams. You'd expect some casual fans who may have otherwise gone to the Parra game would have instead chosen to go to the ANZAC game. From a brief glance at the records, it does appear that the next home game for both the Roosters and Dragons following the ANZAC game tends to see a dip in numbers.

there was no dip in numbers. when was the last time 19k turned up at kogarah? the hill was packed.

and they were playing the worst team in the comp. i'm surprised more than 10k showed up to watch what was in essence a training run.

it was a great crowd.

adamkungl

Immortal
Why are we stuffed? It's a baseless claim. AFL talk. Being stuffed implies that the club or competition is in some sort of financial difficulty due to crowds of a mere 19.4k. I suspect the St George club is in fact very happy with that crowd. Whether their premiers or not is entirely irrelevant to whether they are stuffed or not. In fact I would suggest the opposite is true, being premiers is very profitable.

Dragon Dave

Bench
There was barely any room left on the hill, and the only empty seats where behind the posts which includes the 'away supporters' section. To say that we are 'stuffed' is ridiculous. It was packed.

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors

The Dragons aren't close to having the biggest supporter base in Sydney - the Bulldogs and Tigers smash them, and Souths would be pulling huge crowds if they hadn't been shit for the last 40 years. Sure, they have a massive amount of bandwagoners (like any team after they win a comp) but they're more likely to wait till the end of the season to go to games, rather than 1/3 of the way in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts