What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGS

Bench
i know it might be fun trying to suggest the Dragons didn't come out but it wasn't their first home game. It was the first at kogarah...not quite the same thing. They got 31,000 at their first home game. You can put the word "Home" in parenthesis if you want to but that doesn't change the fact that it was a home game fro the Dragons who now average about 25,000 "at home".

It may go down in the books as your first home game because each team must play 12 home and 12 away. But real fans know playing out of a neutral venue is not a home game.

The Bulldogs play a 'home' game in Adelaide, that too is neutral venue.

Fact is, the St George Illawarra have TWO home grounds. Win Jubilee Oval and Win Stadiums, any other 'home' games played at other venues is an neutral game.

Particularly, when that game is played against another higher crowd puller during heritage week at a venue people flock to for historical reasons.

BDGS made the 'we're stuffed' comment. Therefore we are peachy.

I hope so Scott.

There was barely any room left on the hill, and the only empty seats where behind the posts which includes the 'away supporters' section. To say that we are 'stuffed' is ridiculous. It was packed.

You do realise that my criticism of the crowd at Kogarah is not limited to only Dragons fans.

BDGS

Bench
The Dragons aren't close to having the biggest supporter base in Sydney - the Bulldogs and Tigers smash them, and Souths would be pulling huge crowds if they hadn't been shit for the last 40 years. Sure, they have a massive amount of bandwagoners (like any team after they win a comp) but they're more likely to wait till the end of the season to go to games, rather than 1/3 of the way in.

Well they certainly get a lager number of away supporters. More then any other club, but if you got proof that they aren't the biggest then show it to us.

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
Well they certainly get a lager number of away supporters. More then any other club, but if you got proof that they aren't the biggest then show it to us.

Ugh, the fact that their average crowds are regularly smaller than the Tigers and Bulldogs, even when they're travelling better than those sides. How dumb are you?

BDGS

Bench
Ugh, the fact that their average crowds are regularly smaller than the Tigers and Bulldogs, even when they're travelling better than those sides. How dumb are you?

They do have the largest and the oldest supporters group, they are one of the more famous clubs in RL. They should be a giant! Like the Broncos, especially now that they are premiers and all that.

Yes, they do average below the dogs and tigers, that's probably something for their fans to answer. Although they might get emotional about it and call you a whinger.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Given Parra's bad form, I think having Saints vs Parra at Kogarah was a good option.

When Parra is going well, having the game at SFS or SCG would have got 30,000-odd, but not this year with Parra's form.

There are pros and cons about using suburban venues vs bigger stadiums - some games are better suited at packed suburban grounds and others are clearly not. It's a matter of getting the venue choices and balance right.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I just bought the monthly Rugby League Review magazine today. Very interstieng that according to the mag the average crowd in Sydney is greater than the average outside of Sydney -

Crowds in Sydney:
541,569 (31 matches)
Average in Sydney: 17,469

Crowds outside of Sydney:
563,630 (33 matches)
Average outside of Sydney: 17,080

Overall crowds:
1,105,199 (64 matches)
Average per game: 17,269

Not sure how accurate these figures are, but there you go.

cleary89

Coach
They do have the largest and the oldest supporters group, they are one of the more famous clubs in RL. They should be a giant! Like the Broncos, especially now that they are premiers and all that.

Yes, they do average below the dogs and tigers, that's probably something for their fans to answer. Although they might get emotional about it and call you a whinger.

Go ask them?

Goddo

Bench
^ :lol:

I just had a mental image of BDGS wandering around the hill at Kogarah, wearing Bears and Bulldogs gear, with a clipboard asking Dragons fans why they don't turn up...

adamkungl

Immortal
I just bought the monthly Rugby League Review magazine today. Very interstieng that according to the mag the average crowd in Sydney is greater than the average outside of Sydney -

Crowds in Sydney:
541,569 (31 matches)

563,630 (33 matches)

Overall crowds:
1,105,199 (64 matches)

Cull Sydney teams! Too many teams! Less teams means MOAR FANS

Will be interesting to see the fan split when Dragons play the bulldogs at their 'home' in rd 10.
Property value increases in the St George area as compared to the west over the last 20-30 years have priced alot of the traditional fanbase into the western suburbs spawl. Dragons fans are much less restricted by geography than those two clubs and of course this limits crowds in the old heartland

BDGS

Bench
It's not a 'home' game, it's a home game. We play there 12 times a year, ten times as our home and 2 times as the away team. :roll:

It's not a 'home' game, it's a home game. We play there 12 times a year, ten times as our home and 2 times as the away team. :roll:

If you can call a shared home a home...and the ' ' were integral to my post...the point being that the crowd split shall be interesting :roll:

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Crowds in Sydney:
541,569 (31 matches)

563,630 (33 matches)

Overall crowds:
1,105,199 (64 matches)

Crowds in sydney have increased at a greater rate for a few years now, in fact they have been driving the little bit of overall growth there has been

Don't have the numbers in front of me but form memory it went from 14.5k in 2009 to 15.5k in 2010

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Lol at dogs jumping into bed with rabbitohs. Perfect marriage imo.
The Bulldogs have been at SA/Telstra/ANZ or the Showground since 1999. Souths chose to use the ground in 2006.

Get your facts straight.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Round 9 has only 4 games, Round 10 has a full 8.

I only listed those 4 particular games for Round 10 because they'll draw the largest crowds.

The other 4 round 10 games are:
Penrith vs Broncos
Storm vs Raiders
Sharks vs Roosters
Titans vs Sea Eagles (Monday)

Like I said Round 10 last year was pretty big - 162,984

Can't see Round 10 this year beating that, might come close depending on those 4 big games.

However we're still like to be 30,000-40,000 behind after Round 10. Just my guess.

oh ok
misunderstanding then

the other 4 games aren't attractive clashes in terms of pulling a crowd are they :(

Penrith vs Broncos 10K
Storm vs Raiders 10K
Sharks vs Roosters 10K
Titans vs Sea Eagles (Monday) 15K

45K added to the 106K for the other 4 games .. thats 151K for rnd 10
so the 2011 aggregate goes up to 1,340,784 , but the average drops to 17,640
we're not falling any further behind .. but haven't caught up either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts