What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWB

Bench
It WAS the Roosters I suppose.

But another problem is that NRL fans don't always - I said always - travel even accross Sydney. So my solution is to offer discounts at away games - at least 25% - to away fans but ONLY if they have a membership at their club.

Used to be 50% iirc but then a lot of clubs stopped doing it for whatever reason I don't know.

RWB

Bench
might be more accurate from a trend POV if you take out the highest and lowest crowd numbers for each club. e.g. Roosters average is inflated due to Anzac day, whether deflating others, etc.

Every club has an inflated/deflated crowd average atm, take out the two outliers left and you've got a sample size of 2-3 games :lol:

Averages mean nothing this early on in the season.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
might be more accurate from a trend POV if you take out the highest and lowest crowd numbers for each club. e.g. Roosters average is inflated due to Anzac day, whether deflating others, etc.

The anzac day game is a good indication of league fans getting better, 35k in pissing rain in sydney.

Looks 11-12k at parra. Is it me or do they play this round every season at Parra??

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Interesting to see alot of people saying on that foxsports article that the refereeing was a reason they didn't go to games. Rugby League has always been a game that wasn't afraid to reinvent itself, maybe an investigation into how the rules could be tweaked to improve the game as a spectacle, and make it easier on the refs as a result.

docbrown

Coach
Interesting to see alot of people saying on that foxsports article that the refereeing was a reason they didn't go to games. Rugby League has always been a game that wasn't afraid to reinvent itself, maybe an investigation into how the rules could be tweaked to improve the game as a spectacle, and make it easier on the refs as a result.

I agree.

I love the game but I don't think it's perfect. But as long as it continues to try to innovate itself then it will continue to be the greatest game of all.

I think we seriously need to ask ourselves what we want our scrums to be and how do we break up the monotony of tennis style back and forth straight runs/end kick sets. We shouldn't be waiting for penalties or errors to break it (think back to the test match) - it should come from the attacking game itself.

The dead in goal tap the ball from the kicker's position idea would add variety to last tackle options.

ozjet1

Sydney Rugby League fans have too much choice with 8.5 teams,they need to be starved of 4 teams and things will improve.

Same argument can be said about Melbourne AFL fans. They have 9 teams to choose from, 10 if you include Geelong. They dont seem to be struggling at getting regular 75k+ crowds to the MCG so far this season. Their highly supported clubs in Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn all seem to be having decent years though. It would be like SGI, SS, PAR, BUL, WT all playing well and in top 6. Crowds would be a lot better. On the flipside, lowly supported melbourne AFL clubs are having shit years and their crowds reflect this too......by AFL standards that is.

I think it doesnt matter what you do with Sydney team numbers. Apart from the variable of a team's performance, additional factors such as the metropolitan transport infrastructure and the quality of grounds have a bearing on this too. Manly being at the tail end of that average crowds table that Goddo provided is point to that. It's just a f**king bitch getting around Sydney and crowds will generally be lower if it's difficult to get to a venue..............and the shittest one at that such as Brookie. lack of undercover seating, shit weather, and awful transport options up there puts them behind the 8-ball.

In contrast, all teams in Melbourne play out of two centralised & modern & comfortable all-seater stadia which can be relatively easy to access from many parts of the metro area. While Id hate for the NRL to totally go down this sort of multiple teams into centralised stadia route, the quality of stadiums definately needs to improve. It's an absolute crime in this day and age for a professional league and it's clubs to charge fans what they do and offer the quality of venues to patrons such as those at Woolooware and Brookvale.

Still it doesnt explain the Roosters crowd in relation to Swans, although, I would assume that the eastern suburbs are probably home to more Swans and Waratahs fans than Roosters fans. Moore Park is relatively easy to get to, if you live in the eastern suburbs. I woulf think that many people who claim to be Roosters fans live in other areas of metropolitan Sydney.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
Crowd comparison 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011

After R.11

2007 16.887 (Average)
2008 16.981
2009 16,729
2010 17,687
2011 16,965

Crowds for this season are down by 4.1 percent against 2010 and 0.1 percent against 2008.

Crowds for this season are up by 1.4 percent against 2009 and 0.5 percent against 2007.

HHH

Juniors
posted about 10200 to tonights game, looked a bit more thou
i know for a fact they werent scanning tickets in the mick cronin stand

hybrideel

Bench
I think tonight's numbers were fudged a bit. They weren't scanning tickets at Cronin stand as has been mentioned so they must've counted all tickets sold and season ticket holders as attending. If they did that through the whole ground the numbers could have been out a bit

Im watching the replay now and 10,600 seems pretty right. More people in the upper tiers than you would expect given this crowd but almost no one up the ends

The roosters don’t need saving.

As has already been mentioned the Knights are generally a low drawing game for us and the combination of origin/injuries and shit form didn’t help.

Having said that I did expect a bigger crowd and hopefully more will turn up for the next one.

I would say every non-Sydney team is Generally a low drawing game for easts. And against Sydney teams it is rare for roosters fans to be the clearcut majoirty

CMUX

It's pretty accurate though. Whilst watching the Roosters game on TV it became very apparent that they are surplus to the needs of the NRL.

I live in the eastern suburbs and watched the game, but flat out refuse to contribute a cent towards anything for the Roosters. The sooner the Roosters are gone, the better it is for rugby league

Lol @ a Raiders fan bashing our crowds.

Remind us all of the last time you guys averaged higher than us.

Perhaps you are right though, maybe we need more drawcards. Do you think J Dugan might like a pay rise in 2013 ;-)

beave

Coach
I think tonight's numbers were fudged a bit. They weren't scanning tickets at Cronin stand as has been mentioned so they must've counted all tickets sold and season ticket holders as attending. If they did that through the whole ground the numbers could have been out a bit

same, I have been to Parra stadium for about 30 games in my life and seen crowds from 4k to the old capacity of 23k, from the TV it looked like there was more like 12-13k tbh, I was scratching my head at the 10k.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Lol @ a Raiders fan bashing our crowds.

Remind us all of the last time you guys averaged higher than us.

Perhaps you are right though, maybe we need more drawcards. Do you think J Dugan might like a pay rise in 2013 ;-)

its been discussed ad nausim

without the Dragons .. Bulldogs & Souths .. the Tigers too
your average crowd would struggle to fill a phone booth :shock::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts