What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipperykinchela

First Grade
bloody hell................ honestly, the regular season needs to be stopped for 3 week while we get origin out of the way. That is a pretty dire crowd number.

Your kidding, its a home game record for the Rorters.

Smiley

Bench
Good chance that the double header will draw a smaller crowd than the Queensland Reds vs Crusaders on Sunday. Supposedly already 38,000 sold.

I know a lot of Broncos supporters that thought the double header was part of their season tickets and didn't have to buy tickets because the last few were Broncos home games.

STG-MACCA

Bench
Lol I was shopping in paddington, and had forgotten the roosters were playing today.
I didn't see one person in roosters or knights colours until about 2.45pm. I must have seen 200 - 300 people in hawthorn colours and thousands of swans supporters walking around. Even at 3.00pm, they were still making their way towards the SCG as strange as that seems.

Was seriously a needle in a hay stack seeing roosters colours, and I only saw one person in a knights jersey all afternoon (on the street).

BunniesMan

Immortal
Lol I was shopping in paddington, and had forgotten the roosters were playing today.
I didn't see one person in roosters or knights colours until about 2.45pm. I must have seen 200 - 300 people in hawthorn colours and thousands of swans supporters walking around. Even at 3.00pm, they were still making their way towards the SCG as strange as that seems.

Was seriously a needle in a hay stack seeing roosters colours, and I only saw one person in a knights jersey all afternoon (on the street).
It shows that for all the growth in crowds and memberships we've had the last few years, there is still a long way to go.

It goes without saying that RL is the dominant sporting code in NSW, but for a dominant sporting code RL fans are bloody lazy. It's common knowledge that the best way to support your team financially is to buy a membership and show up to games but still too many fans are too comfortable sitting at home on the couch and watching from there.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
It shows that for all the growth in crowds and memberships we've had the last few years, there is still a long way to go.

It goes without saying that RL is the dominant sporting code in NSW, but for a dominant sporting code RL fans are bloody lazy. It's common knowledge that the best way to support your team financially is to buy a membership and show up to games but still too many fans are too comfortable sitting at home on the couch and watching from there.

I think a lot of even diehard supporters are still sceptical. I know a few who go to most games of their club and still say memberships aren't worth it!

RWB

Bench

Rugby League has always been the working class mans game... it's a similar story in Paddington, Bondi, Doubly Bay etc etc. It's sad but it's true, I think about only 20% of our supporter base live in the Eastern Suburbs (based on 2007 statistics).

You sound shocked? Or you're just shit stirring.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Rugby League has always been the working class mans game... it's a similar story in Paddington, Bondi, Doubly Bay etc etc. It's sad but it's true, I think about only 20% of our supporter base live in the Eastern Suburbs (based on 2007 statistics).

I always notice tonnes of our fans coming off or getting on western bound trains. I would go out on a limb and say we are very well supported on the central coast too.

Its a healthy thing anyway to have your supporter base spread out rather than concentrated in one particular area where it is vulnerable to demographic shifts. newtown is probably a good example of this.

Have you got the survey, i would like to have a look if you do?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
You have had 103 years to build support in the Eastern Suburbs... The Swans seem to have done it in 20 years, with a foreign game...

undertaker

Coach

So then, what do you suggest that the Roosters should do then? Compared to the majority of NRL teams, they have an outstanding stadium that they play out of. Do you think that ticket prices is a major issue? Because, even for a student concession like myself in the standard reserve (around 40m line), it cost me $28. Not to mention, the price of food was extremely expensive. A mini-sized pizza being $8 (whereas I can get a large size from Eagle Boys at $5.95), beer being over $6.40 (I don't drink, so this doesn't affect me, but for those who do and I saw people carrying crates of 4-6 beers, that would be expensive)...what do you suggest?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Roosters have several millionaire supporters who have highly succesful businesses or business minds.

Ie - Bouris, Politis, Packer, Gyngell, Mc Innis etc

If these blokes together can't market the club to a larger supporter base, what are random people in forums gonna do...

BunniesMan

Immortal
So then, what do you suggest that the Roosters should do then? Compared to the majority of NRL teams, they have an outstanding stadium that they play out of. Do you think that ticket prices is a major issue? Because, even for a student concession like myself in the standard reserve (around 40m line), it cost me $28. Not to mention, the price of food was extremely expensive. A mini-sized pizza being $8 (whereas I can get a large size from Eagle Boys at $5.95), beer being over $6.40 (I don't drink, so this doesn't affect me, but for those who do and I saw people carrying crates of 4-6 beers, that would be expensive)...what do you suggest?
I'm not entirely sure what the solution is. And by the way, my post wasn't an attack specifically on the Roosters. It was about the wider NRL and every team, not one team should be satisfied with their crowd or member numbers.

Hopefully with the new tv deal there will be more money to spend on marketing, and with more cash flowing directly to clubs maybe they'll be able to lower gameday expenses for the average fan.
Exactly. Rugby league fans are just bloody lazy and prefer to watch games on tv.

Was the Swans game live on tv today? Herein may be the answer.
It was on a 1 hour delay. But it was on fta, like every Swans game. I wonder how any NRL club would do in terms of crowds if every single game of theirs was on FTA live or within an hour of being live.

Imagine if the Storm (the NRL version of the Swans) had that kind of tv time, would their crowds average even 10k?

MsStorm

Bench
It was on a 1 hour delay. But it was on fta, like every Swans game. I wonder how any NRL club would do in terms of crowds if every single game of theirs was on FTA live or within an hour of being live.

Imagine if the Storm (the NRL version of the Swans) had that kind of tv time, would their crowds average even 10k?

Storm are always live on fox against the gate, which doesn't help their cause here in Melbourne. Not the same as being on fta 1 hr delay or even live, but it surely keeps a lot of potential fans at home.

Teddyboy

First Grade

Thats why TV is better because nothing worse then getting ripped off with the price of shit drink and food.

Raiderdave

First Grade
33000 v 10000

I can believe i understated it... f**k we are shit... honestly...

the swans & roosters haven't had games on at the same time for a very long time , the 2 work pretty closely together to avoid that .. so I'm not sure what happened yesterday

still... if the swans hadn't been there it wouldn't have made the crowd much bigger .. the Knights would be in the bottom 3 or 4 drawing away sides for the Roosters .
the Roosters usually move this game to gosford they draw so few to it
. 10K is about as many as you'd get regardless

& the Hawthorn .. same as carlton a few weeks back .. one of the top 3 or 4 games for the swans

I remember about in 1987 the swans played played carlton at the scg & the roosters .. manly at the sports ground

the swans got 39,000 ... the Roosters .. 5,000
so things have improved somewhat..:?:sarcasm:

bobmar28

Bench
That's a poor excuse, Newcastle is roughly that and 13k is considered poor there. Townsville isn't even that big and the Cowboys do better than that most weeks.

And if a population base can only support 13k average crowds, then we shouldn't have a team in that population base.

Newcastle and Townsville are league heartland. Canberra is full of Union and AFL supporters. Their government is one of the biggest financial supporters of GWS. Should we abandon the Raiders?

There has to be an NRL team in Canberra. On the other hand I don't see the need for 9 teams in Sydney.

Last edited:

STG-MACCA

Bench

I am shocked. I often park the other side of Oxford street for matches at the SFS / SCG and grab a feed and some beers in Oxford street precinct on the way through before a couple more beers at the Olympic. I always see bucket loads of support for all teams and all codes playing from Sydney fc, the tahs, Australia, St.George, swans, souths etc.....

Normally see roosters supporters also in the pubs along the way - it's a fairly common expectation on match day to be honest.

Yesterday there was zero roosters & knights support except for one family of roosters supporters I saw rushing down the hill just prior to kickoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts