What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmar28

Bench
So then, what do you suggest that the Roosters should do then? Compared to the majority of NRL teams, they have an outstanding stadium that they play out of. Do you think that ticket prices is a major issue? Because, even for a student concession like myself in the standard reserve (around 40m line), it cost me $28. Not to mention, the price of food was extremely expensive. A mini-sized pizza being $8 (whereas I can get a large size from Eagle Boys at $5.95), beer being over $6.40 (I don't drink, so this doesn't affect me, but for those who do and I saw people carrying crates of 4-6 beers, that would be expensive)...what do you suggest?

Merge with Sharks. Sharks are broke and have small crowds. Roosters are rich and have small crowds. A merger could save both teams.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Newcastle and Townsville are league heartland. Canberra is full of Union and AFL supporters. Their government is one of the biggest financial supporters of GWS. Should we abandon the Raiders?

There has to be an NRL team in Canberra. On the other hand I don't see the need for 9 teams in Sydney.

Sydney Rugby League fans have too much choice with 8.5 teams,they need to be starved of 4 teams and things will improve.

Goddo

Bench
^ It has to happen in an evolutionary way though Teddy. There is 100 years of spite, rivarly and hate between the Sydney clubs. You can't just mash them together.

The NRL needs a team or two to relocate or fold, but it has to come about naturally.

Raiderdave

First Grade
^ It has to happen in an evolutionary way though Teddy. There is 100 years of spite, rivarly and hate between the Sydney clubs. You can't just mash them together.

The NRL needs a team or two to relocate or fold, but it has to come about naturally.

agreed ... forcing teams out doesn't work
in 2013 the clubs will get massive boosts to their bottom line from TV revenue
the ones that are struggling will use this to sure up their debts
but if they are forced to use a lot of it in the salary cap increases being touted
( up to 7 million from the present 4) they won't be able to take care of all of their financial problems & may look at voluntary relocations
the NRL doesn't have to cut anyone ( & they won't anyway )
let natural forces do the work.

CMUX

Merge with Sharks. Sharks are broke and have small crowds. Roosters are rich and have small crowds. A merger could save both teams.

The roosters don’t need saving.

As has already been mentioned the Knights are generally a low drawing game for us and the combination of origin/injuries and shit form didn’t help.

Having said that I did expect a bigger crowd and hopefully more will turn up for the next one.

Paullyboy

Coach
It's pretty accurate though. Whilst watching the Roosters game on TV it became very apparent that they are surplus to the needs of the NRL.

I live in the eastern suburbs and watched the game, but flat out refuse to contribute a cent towards anything for the Roosters. The sooner the Roosters are gone, the better it is for rugby league

Ray Mosters

Juniors
It was on a 1 hour delay. But it was on fta, like every Swans game. I wonder how any NRL club would do in terms of crowds if every single game of theirs was on FTA live or within an hour of being live.

Imagine if the Storm (the NRL version of the Swans) had that kind of tv time, would their crowds average even 10k?
Or would their crowds be bigger?

Would the extra exposure create more excitement about a match, and the more widespread awareness of the game shake loose more people that want to go to the match?

Maybe the swans being on TV all the time in Sydney is advertising their live experience.

Maybe greater TV exposure begets bigger crowds

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Or would their crowds be bigger?

Would the extra exposure create more excitement about a match, and the more widespread awareness of the game shake loose more people that want to go to the match?

Maybe the swans being on TV all the time in Sydney is advertising their live experience.

Maybe greater TV exposure begets bigger crowds

There is no doubt about it. Getting the game on FTA increases your exposure and is positive for crowds.

It's bloody hard to get people interested enough to go to games if there is no way for them to sample the sport first.

RWB

Bench

I thought this was a non-trolling thread :roll:

It's pretty accurate though. Whilst watching the Roosters game on TV it became very apparent that they are surplus to the needs of the NRL.

I live in the eastern suburbs and watched the game, but flat out refuse to contribute a cent towards anything for the Roosters. The sooner the Roosters are gone, the better it is for rugby league

Another great and eye-opening argument.

RWB

Bench

The salary cap will prevent any sort of natural evolution. I'd love to see a salary cap that's a few million over the grant, clubs shouldn't be reliant on the new TV deal to keep growing the game but at the moment that's just the way it seems.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
There is no doubt about it. Getting the game on FTA increases your exposure and is positive for crowds.

It's bloody hard to get people interested enough to go to games if there is no way for them to sample the sport first.

True. But isn't it about time that Sydney RL clubs get in the 21st century and play games at proper stadiums - ANZ. SFS etc so familys can come along and actually sit on a seat rather then on a hill with rowdy drunk NRL fans?

Better faciltys attract more people to games. Which is why I could not believe St George played that game recently at Oki Doki. Yeah, 19,000+ is great.

But 30,000+ at ANZ is better. Don't you want to encourage more fans to the games? Grow the membership base? Can CEO's be that backward? I really don't understand.

Call me troll, call me what you like, but I'd LOVE to see Sydney NRL games getting 30,000 - 50,000+ at ANZ and SFS most weeks.

It can happen. People power can make it happen. It's time my friends. It's time. Just like the retuen of the jedi, it's now time for the return of the NRl fan in Sydney.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
It WAS the Roosters I suppose.

But another problem is that NRL fans don't always - I said always - travel even accross Sydney. So my solution is to offer discounts at away games - at least 25% - to away fans but ONLY if they have a membership at their club.

Goddo

Bench
Mark Rudd your arguement that all teams should move to big grounds might sound nice in theory to some, but in practice is impossible.

For St George, its a very specific case, as there is an even split between Jubilee Oval and the Gong at the core of the club - there isn't any room for St George to shift games easily to the SFS. 6/6 - maybe 1 of the Jubilee alocation at the SCG in a non home ANZAC game year. But that would be unpopular.

The Roosters, Bulldogs and Souths play their home games from big stadiums. These teams often take weak attendance games to smaller stadiums such as Gosford or Perth to milk local support, or to Brisbane to milk the relatively low number of games there each year. Souths and the Roosters have both had sub 9k crowds - being in a big stadium made it worse.

Parra take their biggest 2 to ANZ, but also have a relationship with Parramatta stadium trust to play lots of games there, and try to get funding for upgrades. A full move to ANZ is also unjustified given some of their crowds.

Wests take 4 to SFS/SCG. Wests utilize the apeal of big games at big stadiums against rivals, and atmosphere against out of towners and poor timeslots like Mondays to maximise crowds at Leichhardt and Campbelltown.

Penrith, Manly and Cronulla are geographically isolated in Sydney - not so easy to move their games and expect the fans to show up. These teams are more likely to take games interstate or even to NZ rather than a big Sydney stadium. ((the worry here is are these teams viable long term))

And thats it. None of them can play more in bigger grounds than they already do because of their unique situations. Also, how do clubs try to justify upgrades to their home grounds if they don't play there?

ozjet1

Averages thus far:

31,923 - Brisbane - 5
--<30,000--------------------------
26,784 - Canberbury - 4
21,166 - St George - 3
20,758 - Sydney - 5
--<20,000--------------------------
18,697 - New Zealand - 4
18,218 - Parramatta - 5
17,356 - Wests - 4
17,332 - South Sydney - 5
17,330 - Gold Coast - 6
17,313 - Newcastle - 3
--<15,000--------------------------
13,413 - Canberra - 5
13,174 - Melbourne - 7
12,752 - Cronulla - 5
12,675 - North Queensland - 6
10,882 - Penrith - 5
10,634 - Manly - 4

might be more accurate from a trend POV if you take out the highest and lowest crowd numbers for each club. e.g. Roosters average is inflated due to Anzac day, whether deflating others, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts