What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeepe

Immortal
Yeah my wife grew up in Yarralumla, she said exactly the same thing.

Apparently it's a ghost town on long weekends, well more of a ghost town than it normally is.

The Canberra Day long weekend is usually the last chance a lot of people have to get to the beach, and the weather was perfect for it. The diehards were there today, the casual fan would probably have picked the coast over the footy. Just the way it is when you live in an inland city.

The biggest race day of the year didn't help either, and they were expecting a record crowd of over 6,000 there today as well.

I expect at least 20k next week.

yakstorm

First Grade
Just on the Storm crowd, despite many people picking Manly as an obvious 'rival' to Melbourne, the fact of the matter is, the Sea Eagles aren't one of the Storm's top drawing opponents.

Yesterday's crowd of 14,651 is actually a new crowd record for the Storm against the Eagles.

The record before was 14,574 set against the Northern Eagles in 2000, and for just Manly by themselves, it is 14,171 which was set last year.

Historically, the Storm's 'biggest' opponents are the Dragons, Broncos and Warriors.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
My round 1 crowd ratings:

Roosters vs Souths = B+. Respectable, should have cracked 30,000.

Broncos vs Cowboys = A. Enough said.

Warriors vs Eels = A. Enough said.

Titans vs Dragons = B. A tad disappointing. Should have got 25,000.

Storm vs Sea Eagles = D. I don't care if Victoria is not a Rugby League state or not. A city of 3 million should be able to draw at least 20,000 for their first home game of the year. Especially against the team they have a rivalry against and playing for points.

Raiders vs Sharks = C. Average crowd, although they had a long weekend and it was against the Sharks who are hardly a top draw.

Panthers vs Knights = D. A 12,000 crowd in you first game of the year on a sunny Sunday afternoon just doesn't cut the mustard nowadays.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Lol getting to the beach after 3 months of summer is now an excuse smh

Ever drove towards Braidwood on this day?

Fooking nightmare with ACT drivers towing boats and thinking all roads outside Canberra are as good as those at home.

Worst drivers in the country with Vic coming second just.

skeepe

Immortal

Fooking nightmare with ACT drivers towing boats and thinking all roads outside Canberra are as good as those at home.

Can't argue with any of that.

BDGS

Bench
Raiders crowd is a disgrace,looks even less then what the spastic Brumbies got against the Chiefs in there opening round match,Rebels playing a South African side got a better crowd then the Storm and the Brumbies playing a kiwi side got a better crowd then the Raiders,absolute disgrace.

Piss off if you are going to do nothing but bag every crowd n this thread.

lol bad drivers affecting the crowd? If half of the Sydney CBD being closed isn't a good enough for a poor Roosters/Cowboys crowd then neither is the beach or drivers towing boats. sh*t crowd for round 1 of the season when Canberra fans think they'll romp the premiership in

BDGS

Bench
Things i would like answered.

What is the pre sold ticket count for the monday night game?

How many required tomorrow night to get 200k?

WaznTheGreat

Referee
You bagged the NZ crowd, Enough said.

Piss off.

Idiot,i said the NZ crowd was fantastic but that it was a one off occasion(historic first game at Eden)that will never be repeated(Warriors getting 38k in a regular season game)

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
lol bad drivers affecting the crowd? If half of the Sydney CBD being closed isn't a good enough for a poor Roosters/Cowboys crowd then neither is the beach or drivers towing boats. sh*t crowd for round 1 of the season when Canberra fans think they'll romp the premiership in

You don't seem to understand.

On this day, thousands get out of Canberra and head to the Bay, maura, ulladulla, nowra and a whole heap of other places, they've done this for decades.

That's why I mentioned the driving around Braidwood/Goulburn.

The merkins are known.

It's usually the last weekend they can get away before the winds from the snowies start blowing through.

Goddo

Bench
My round 1 crowd ratings:

Roosters vs Souths = B+. Respectable, should have cracked 30,000.

Broncos vs Cowboys = A. Enough said.

Warriors vs Eels = A. Enough said.

Titans vs Dragons = B. A tad disappointing. Should have got 25,000.

Storm vs Sea Eagles = D. I don't care if Victoria is not a Rugby League state or not. A city of 3 million should be able to draw at least 20,000 for their first home game of the year. Especially against the team they have a rivalry against and playing for points.

Raiders vs Sharks = C. Average crowd, although they had a long weekend and it was against the Sharks who are hardly a top draw.

Panthers vs Knights = D. A 12,000 crowd in you first game of the year on a sunny Sunday afternoon just doesn't cut the mustard nowadays.
???

Titans v Dragons was almost the same as it was last year. It was a fine crowd.

Storm v Sea Eagles was fine too - it was almost the same total for last years match between these two

I find it strange how you can talk down the Storm crowd, but talk up the Raiders 13k as C. Admitedly it was against the worst team in the comp, and several players were missing, I think in those circumstances its a reasonable crowd for Canberra.

The Panthers are not a big club for attendences. I am happy if they can average greater than 12k this year. You ain't exactly going to get a lot of travelling Knights fans to this one. Especially when they are probably hanging out for a home game in their refurbished stadium

EDIT - just on Storm vs Sea Eagles, what do you recon the same game would draw at that Sh!thole Brookvale?

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Brisbane vs North QLD - 45,119
Sydney vs South Sydney - 28,703
Gold Coast vs St. George Illawarra - 21,709
Melbourne vs Manly - 14,651
Canberra vs Cronulla - 13,450
Penrith vs Newcastle - 12,431
New Zealand vs Parramatta - 38,405
Total - 174, 468

BDGS

Bench
Idiot,i said the NZ crowd was fantastic but that it was a one off occasion(historic first game at Eden)that will never be repeated(Warriors getting 38k in a regular season game)

You downed played the crowd and then went trolling about how the Warriors will never ever get that sort of crowd again for a regular season game and some other sh*t you threw in there as well. I don't remember because i don't give a sh*t about what you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.