What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

beave

Coach
The crocs would have had 5.5k on the other side of town tonight, I'd say at least 3/4 of those people would have been at the footy tonight if the NBL semi final wasn't on at the same time against Cairns (you could imagine it's a pretty big rivalry up here). I honestly thought the crowd was about 15-16k, I sit in the Eastern stand (the top one that faces the cameras) so I can't get a real good idea of that side but the rest of the ground was as full comparatively when they post that 16-17 mark so the stand I sit in must have been a bit empty tonight.

As been said a hundred times by me and others, we need saturday nights up here. Unfortunately next week against the Raiders won't get much more as they aren't really a popular team up here to watch, I'd say at best about 15k will show up on Saturday. I know you can't have blockbusters every home game, but the Panthers, Newy, Manly and Raiders are probably the 4 lower crowd drawing teams up here, over these first 4 home games 2 of those less popular teams will have been in our prime crowd drawing timeslots and teams we should be getting good 20k crowds have been played at unfriendly times (tonight and that storm monday night game)The joys of having to appease the TV execs and $$$$ sponsors............ but without them we don't have a comp so I shouldn't really complain.

gsweeper

Juniors
I know it's irrelevant to this thread, but the crowd for the carlton collingwood game was around 88,000 tonight; i'm just giving this figure as food for thought.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
What's doing in Townsville? I know Friday nights aren't good but they're in decent form this year...

I think it will take more than a few good performances to get all the Cowboys fans back. It may take a whole year before they get back to averaging 18K plus again.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Terrible Townsville crowd. Excuses, excuses. Still terrible.

Almost no team wants Saturday games, except the Cowboys. You'd think they'd give them all Saturday nights just to keep everyone happy.

beave

Coach
Terrible Townsville crowd. Excuses, excuses. Still terrible.

Almost no team wants Saturday games, except the Cowboys. You'd think they'd give them all Saturday nights just to keep everyone happy.

Tvl doesn't have the population to support 2 major sporting events being played out at the same time, 185k live here, we don't have 1.5 mil like Brisbane, what the hell do you honestly expect???

The irony is Brisbane don't have a basketball team anymore because they folded from a lack of support............:roll:

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
To be fair this would've been their only Friday home game this season (scheduled so far) had it not been for the Nitro Circus debacle

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Why didnt nine choose broncos v Newcastle for their second pick

Would have to rate better than nq v gc

Does anyone remember how the order goes again

Nine
Nine
Fox
Nine
Fox
Fox
Fox
Fox

Is this correct ?

Red Bear

Referee
Crowd should've been better than that, I guess with the amount of injuries through the Tigers and coming off a loss the hype was alot less compared to previous seasons (eg last year at the SCG). The Sunday Afternoon match is a better fit for the game also. Still a pretty decent vocal crowd.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
I know it's irrelevant to this thread, but the crowd for the carlton collingwood game was around 88,000 tonight; i'm just giving this figure as food for thought.

Look above guys.

I love how every Sydney RL 'fan' diverts attention from the fact that the Wests v Souths game SHOULD'NT have had less then 40,000 attending.

You guys are so ******* lazy in Sydney you don't deserve ANY NRL teams.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The pick order is actually

1. Nine
2. Nine
3. Fox
4. Fox
5. Nine
6. Fox
7. Fox
8. Fox

This weekend I'm guessing nine picked STG v CAN as pick 1 & WTI v SOU as pick 2

What would happen if Fox picked the 2 games with qld teams for pick 3 and 4, would the Friday nite swapsies all fall over

Mig2006

Juniors
I experienced a few things last night at the cows that would keep some people away. The sound system for starters was busted - you couldn't hear much and when they use it a lot to try and enhance the atmosphere - it was a complete dud.

The pre-game stuff was just crap. They have no idea how to get a crowd going....

The parking situation is pretty ordinary too. Was told by some security that the Eastern parking was for staff only and that it was full. Ended up having to walk through it about 20 mins later and noted that there was about 500 empty car parks available......

The game fizzled in the second half.....Cows should have racked up 40 last night.

bobmar28

Bench
Got caught up in the M5 traffic jam (on the way to Revesby) due to the Tigers game so I was expecting to see a record crowd when I turned on the TV later. 22k is a little disappointing.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
Just my thoughts on crowd trends....

We are getting more crowds around 20-23k than last year, but we have had very few between 13-18k. Its the same clubs at the bottom pulling 10-13k.

Might just be the match ups, but it seems the better supported clubs are growing, where Cronulla, Canberra, Penrith, North Queensland, Melbourne seem to be stagnant, fluctuating each year based on form.

Brisbane crowds are growing slowly - suggests the Broncos following is as strong as it can be. The Titans crowd average has also stabilised at around 17-21k. Maybe the time is right for another SE Qld side?

All the growth in crowds over the last few years seems to be with 6 clubs- South Sydney, St George, Canterbury, Wests, Parramatta and Sydney.

Will this continue? In the near future will we end up with these 6 getting sell out seasons and high averages (22-30), and the rest still plodding along?

What does this mean for Manly, Cronulla, and Penrith? They have a few things in common - geographic isolation on the fringe of Sydney and (for Manly and Cronulla) poor stadiums.

blukablu

Juniors

All the growth in crowds over the last few years seems to be with 6 clubs- South Sydney, St George, Canterbury, Wests, Parramatta and Sydney.

Will this continue? In the near future will we end up with these 6 getting sell out seasons and high averages (22-30), and the rest still plodding along?

What does this mean for Manly, Cronulla, and Penrith? They have a few things in common - geographic isolation on the fringe of Sydney and (for Manly and Cronulla) poor stadiums.

The Bronco's crowds have increased by over 10,000 on average in the last 10 years and at one stage they averaged over 40,000 so I'd say theres still more improvement to come.

Hopefully after Brisbane2 and Perth come in CC is next so Manly can move to the Sunshine Coast and Sharks to Adelaide or Wellington/Christchurch.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
It totally slipped my mind last night in my drunken stupor, there was a drama with the turnstiles all around the ground recognising season ticket holders (happened at the northern gate for me and happened to my mate who used my spare ticket at another gate) the chick at the turnstile had to swipe another card for all season ticket holders to get in so it wouldn't surprise me if the crowd figure from last night was not highly accurate due the turnstile malfunction. Watching the replay now, the ground holds 27k, there's no way in the world DFS was only 50% full last night. I honestly reckon there was 16-17k, still not awesome by any means but that crocs semi final killed any chance of a 20k+ crowd.

Raiderdave

First Grade

We are getting more crowds around 20-23k than last year, but we have had very few between 13-18k. Its the same clubs at the bottom pulling 10-13k.

Might just be the match ups, but it seems the better supported clubs are growing, where Cronulla, Canberra, Penrith, North Queensland, Melbourne seem to be stagnant, fluctuating each year based on form.

Brisbane crowds are growing slowly - suggests the Broncos following is as strong as it can be. The Titans crowd average has also stabilised at around 17-21k. Maybe the time is right for another SE Qld side?

Manly Cronulla & Penrith are limited by playing in smallish suburban grounds which they have to because of their geographical location
the 6 you've named either play exclusively out of bigger stadia or split their games & are reaping the benefits
memberships are driving the rise in attendances .... you pay for a membership you may as well go regardless of how your side is going , recipricating deals betweens Sydney clubs at Homebush to allow ticketed members of away clubs to attend for free is driving up attendances too
all in all ...Sydney's NRL clubs are getting it right & its showing slowly but surely at the box office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts