What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evenflow

Bench
Might just be the match ups, but it seems the better supported clubs are growing, where Cronulla, Canberra, Penrith, North Queensland, Melbourne seem to be stagnant, fluctuating each year based on form.

I wouldn't exactly call Melbourne's crowds stagnate when looking at the crowds over several seasons. From the last 6 full seasons the averages are 8898, 10,853, 11,711, 12,474, 11,978 and 14,670. Now apart from that one dip of around 500 they've grown steadily. Not by massive numbers but you can hardly expect massive gains year after year in an AFL obsessed city.

This year we're down to just under 13k but that can easily change by the seasons end and we'll end up higher than than so we'll judge it then. I don't think we'll beat last years avearge but at the same time last year was exceptional circumstances, especially with our first home game after the rorting was announced and while it was a great which inflated our figure greatly. There was also the Good Friday game that drew an even bigger crowd against the Saints which unfortunately won't be happening again this year. Those 2 games alone drew 50k.

Billythekid

First Grade
Just my thoughts on crowd trends....

We are getting more crowds around 20-23k than last year, but we have had very few between 13-18k. Its the same clubs at the bottom pulling 10-13k.

Might just be the match ups, but it seems the better supported clubs are growing, where Cronulla, Canberra, Penrith, North Queensland, Melbourne seem to be stagnant, fluctuating each year based on form.

The storm have been showing some growth with 2010 being the clubs biggest year to date for crowds in spite of what happened at the club. I think we will see plenty of growth from the storm.

I also think that while they have started a little slow this year that there is definitely room for growth for the raiders.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

We are getting more crowds around 20-23k than last year, but we have had very few between 13-18k. Its the same clubs at the bottom pulling 10-13k.

Brisbane crowds are growing slowly - suggests the Broncos following is as strong as it can be. The Titans crowd average has also stabilised at around 17-21k. Maybe the time is right for another SE Qld side?

All the growth in crowds over the last few years seems to be with 6 clubs- South Sydney, St George, Canterbury, Wests, Parramatta and Sydney.

Will this continue? In the near future will we end up with these 6 getting sell out seasons and high averages (22-30), and the rest still plodding along?

What does this mean for Manly, Cronulla, and Penrith? They have a few things in common - geographic isolation on the fringe of Sydney and (for Manly and Cronulla) poor stadiums.

The big 6 for attendances could grow even more, with a few more "blockbusters" shifted to SFS/ANZ. Parra V Dragons (currently at PS) is an obvious candidate to maximise attendance. In every sports league in the world there are tiers of support so its not really surprising that some clubs are surging ahead and others are relatively stagnant.

11k Tigers, Fans , 11k Souths fans, 13k Cowboy fans. Bit harsh to be calling the Cowboys support!

na easily more tigers fans than souths IMO, was pretty clear when the "wigan walk" occured on mass at the 70th minute.:lol:

I travelled down from the central coast as a neutral (after working in newcastle) so from my point of view sydney league fans appear very lazy and i can see no reason why that game should not have had 30k at least last nite. But at least it was over 20k which appears to be the norm now for two of the big 6.

Chance of a good crowd at cronulla tonight? Ticketek says ET stand exhausted, Peter burns stand single seats only, east and west concourse single seats only too.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Not a bad effort at sfs should of got 25 but

Yeah, i have been very critical of Roosters crowds over the seasons but the other week it sprang to mind that it might be the roosters fault, perhaps its the SFS?

Last years finals were disappointing crowds there, one was only 23k.

Every says "yeah but Penrith were playing", thats a cop out imo though.

It would be interesting to get all regular season games at the SFS over the last few seasons and get an average from it.

The location of the 'best football stadium in Sydney' might be playing against it.

Ladmate

Bench
Souths vs Tigers drew great crowds at SCG on Sunday Afternoon though, so don't know why the SFS ones are low.

BDGS

Bench
Terrible Townsville crowd. Excuses, excuses. Still terrible.

Almost no team wants Saturday games, except the Cowboys. You'd think they'd give them all Saturday nights just to keep everyone happy.

Yes, but unfortunately its up to the broadcasters to decide what day each game is played on.

When the IC comes in, hopefully the next TV deal will see the IC choose when they plays.

if that happens, all NQ home games should be on at 7.30pm Saturday, 10 Storm home games on 5.30pm Saturday plus an ANZAC game against the Warriors and Good Friday game against the Dragons. Broncos to play either Friday or Sundays.

BDGS

Bench

Brisbane crowds are growing slowly - suggests the Broncos following is as strong as it can be. The Titans crowd average has also stabilised at around 17-21k. Maybe the time is right for another SE Qld side?

All the growth in crowds over the last few years seems to be with 6 clubs- South Sydney, St George, Canterbury, Wests, Parramatta and Sydney.

Will this continue? In the near future will we end up with these 6 getting sell out seasons and high averages (22-30), and the rest still plodding along?

What does this mean for Manly, Cronulla, and Penrith? They have a few things in common - geographic isolation on the fringe of Sydney and (for Manly and Cronulla) poor stadiums.

how the hell does one come up with "we need another SEQ team" from "Broncos crowds are rising slowly and titans crowds have established"?

Also, Titans crowds haven't been established and they are dropping :sarcasm:

I wanot another SEQ team but come on.

BDGS

Bench
Chance of a good crowd at cronulla tonight? Ticketek says ET stand exhausted, Peter burns stand single seats only, east and west concourse single seats only too.

That's awesome, i was expecting a decent crowd for the Sharks first home game of the season at shark park after the great start to the season they have had (obviously not including rd 2 because no body would of thought they were going to be any better this year then compared to other years).

docbrown

Coach
It would be interesting to get all regular season games at the SFS over the last few seasons and get an average from it.

The location of the 'best football stadium in Sydney' might be playing against it.

2004 - 21 - 14762
2005 - 19 - 14053
2006 - 11 - 13635
2007 - 11 - 12014
2008 - 12 - 14306
2009 - 15 - 15915
2010 - 13 - 16994

It fluctuates on the performance of the teams that play their games there (ie Roosters + any other relocated home games for others).

But you could argue that 2010 was the SFS' best performance across a full season.

applesauce

Bench
In fairness to the Cowboys crowd is everyone forgetting the destruction of homes, vehicles etc. in the cyclones, flooding, and 600mm in 7 days of flooding last week...?

I am not sure how much disposable income they would have about now.

BDGS

Bench
2004 - 21 - 14762
2005 - 19 - 14053
2006 - 11 - 13635
2007 - 11 - 12014
2008 - 12 - 14306
2009 - 15 - 15915
2010 - 13 - 16994

It fluctuates on the performance of the teams that play their games there (ie Roosters + any other relocated home games for others).

But you could argue that 2010 was the SFS' best performance across a full season.

Those numbers look poor to me.

BDGS

Bench
I just had a look at the ticketet matches, i hate the proticket thing.

Anyway, AAMI park this weekend has Alloc. Exhausted for the Northern End, Level 3 western end and category 1

yakstorm

First Grade
In fairness to the Cowboys crowd is everyone forgetting the destruction of homes, vehicles etc. in the cyclones, flooding, and 600mm in 7 days of flooding last week...?

I am not sure how much disposable income they would have about now.

Exactly, added to that the issues when the club plays on Friday/Monday night, and the fact that the Cowboys have been woeful the past 3 seasons, it's going to take some time for their fans to regain confidence in the side.

The plus is, they have another good win now, they are in the eight, their fans will come back, we just have to be patient and be realistic with our expectations.

docbrown

Coach
Those numbers look poor to me.

Well the last 5 years are driven primarily by the Roosters onfield performance.

Looking at Stadium Australia, since the Rabbitohs signed on as co-tennants there has been gradual improvement. If you discount the two big semis of recent years, I'd say last year was the stadiums most successful since its opening (which was skewed by the double header).

If we can get an all weather purpose built 50k+ rectangular stadium with great transport hubs that can service the biggest matches of the Eels, Dragons, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs & Tigers, then we would see a massive boost to the overall crowd averages.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the Bulldogs, Dragons, Rabbitohs and possibly the Roosters could set home attendance average records this season.

well

its looking a fine night. vs manly too. should be a good crowd. manly draw alrght given the history between the 2 clubs.

the teams performing better than expected. would have been better had we won the game last week tho.

hopefully its 15k +

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Well the last 5 years are driven primarily by the Roosters onfield performance.

Looking at Stadium Australia, since the Rabbitohs signed on as co-tennants there has been gradual improvement. If you discount the two big semis of recent years, I'd say last year was the stadiums most successful since its opening (which was skewed by the double header).

If we can get an all weather purpose built 50k+ rectangular stadium with great transport hubs that can service the biggest matches of the Eels, Dragons, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs & Tigers, then we would see a massive boost to the overall crowd averages.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the Bulldogs, Dragons, Rabbitohs and possibly the Roosters could set home attendance average records this season.

Where would it be built though? Eastern Creek would be a good greenfield site, but then again it could be said its too far west.

Shocking that the SFS has less than 20 games a season in the NRL, its the best ground in the state by a mile and i rate it better than suncorp having been to both multiple times.

Good looking crowd at the warriors v roosters game, very vocal as well

beave

Coach
What parts of it do you think are superior to Suncorp??? Ive been to both a few times and whilst the SFS is really good, sorry but Suncorp wins. The only thing the SFS has is car parking but good luck trying to get out at the end of bigger game, l've nearly pissed my pants in my mates car from a thousaaaaaand beers and waititng for the traffic to move in that park, thank god there's some trees around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts