What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Why is it that cricket , rugby union,, soccer , afl can get a 30+ plus crowd into the Moore park area without too many problems . But the moment a rugby league game is on car parks are full traffic is grid locked , breakdowns , trains are cancelled , buses break down

Brutus

Referee
Just got back home all drenched after the SCG today. I was fortunate enough to have parked away from the Fox Studios car park where is was absolute chaos as I walked past.

The crowd was great today considering. Much better than we would have seen at Kogarah. Anything that boosts the overall NRL crowd average is a plus in my eyes.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I've said numerous times 75% of clubs only have around 11k-14k home fans. There is only maybe 3 or 4 with more. Melbourne, Canberra, NQ etc don't have the benefit of 1-3k+ travelling fans at games like Sydney clubs or the two or three big derbies that boos their annual avg significantly.

In regards to the Sydney clubs i always thought having 14000-16000 seater grounds would be ideal for the likes of Penrith,Cronulla,Manly,Souths etc as the it just the right size that a lot of Sydney clubs are pulling in plus 14000-16000 are not to small for a sh*t crowd and not to big for the game to get lost plus a packed out/near full crowd come's over great on the tv.
It worked for Sydney Rugby League in the 1950's and 1960's with all the big games going to the SCG and it would work now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thing with that is clubs aren't going to financially survive into the future on sub 15k crowds, 20k should be the next target avg clubs are aiming for.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No idea why anyone ever parks in FOX Studios, I always park on the Centennial Parklands directly opposite either the SFS or the Hordern/RHoI, you always get out reasonably quickly. Left the ground at 5:00pm, got home at 6:30pm (Gosford).

Lesson for anyone who reads this when they get home at 9pm - don't park in FOX Studios again.

On a serious note - on the way in the Sydney Triathalon was apparently to blame for only the tunnel being in use city-bound from the north, and Cityrail are just dumb for putting trackwork on. As for FOX Studios, I heard reports the gates malfunctioned.

If they were fair dinkum they should've let everyone out, just opened the booms.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No and yes! I hate to see fans lose their clubs. We've been through it and it isn;t nice! Ultimately the clubs future has to be in their own hands. A min income level, stadium standard and fanbase should be in place and a move to licenses like in SL might encourage some teams to lift their game. The other problem is how do you expand the game to be a truly national/pacific comp without the league becoming too big, we can see there are probably 5 or 6 places that new clubs would really change the profile of NRL if included but a 22 team league would be too big. Personally I'd like to see the IC in years to come use some of its new found millions to really encourage financially struggling clubs to relocate. AFL did it without too much pain and suffering and I think we could as well.

Teddyboy

First Grade
No and yes! I hate to see fans lose their clubs. We've been through it and it isn;t nice! Ultimately the clubs future has to be in their own hands. A min income level, stadium standard and fanbase should be in place and a move to licenses like in SL might encourage some teams to lift their game. The other problem is how do you expand the game to be a truly national/pacific comp without the league becoming too big, we can see there are probably 5 or 6 places that new clubs would really change the profile of NRL if included but a 22 team league would be too big. Personally I'd like to see the IC in years to come use some of its new found millions to really encourage financially struggling clubs to relocate. AFL did it without too much pain and suffering and I think we could as well.

Sorry to put you on the spot but what clubs would you keep in Sydney and what's the perfect number for how many clubs Sydney could sustain with decent growth in crowds.

Saint Doc

Coach
No idea why anyone ever parks in FOX Studios, I always park on the Centennial Parklands directly opposite either the SFS or the Hordern/RHoI, you always get out reasonably quickly. Left the ground at 5:00pm, got home at 6:30pm (Gosford).

Lesson for anyone who reads this when they get home at 9pm - don't park in FOX Studios again.

Centennial parklands parking was completely full 1.5hrs before kickoff. It was about 1/3rd its usual capacity due to that large blue fenced off area. Hence noone had any choice by the time they got there but to park in fox studios

ouwet

Bench
Crowd was brilliant at the SCG (Considering the weather), I parked at Fox but got out pretty easily (Got there heaps early, so got a sweet spot on level 3)... Shame Cityrail screwed up and the marathon was on and some Eastershow thing at Fox Studios... I did hear of some people turning around.

cleary89

Coach

Agree with you there. I can remember parents parking in the ones at homebush during the olympics. Took at least 30 mins every time.

I'd prefer to park 15-20 minutes away and away and walk, even if it only was a 20 min wait to get out.

Parked near the race course, was a 20 minute walk through the park (bought a poncho on the way out of the stadium). Back in Newcastle at 7.

When I walked past the carpark, even when they had the green light to get onto the main street, was bumper to bumper so 2-3 cars would get through them. Then people calling up saying the ticketing system didn't work.

Took about 1 hour 10 to get in there, free parking, 20 minute walk. Under cover, dragons won, $5 poncho on the way out, hardly any traffic. Great day.

Brutus

Referee
No idea why anyone ever parks in FOX Studios, I always park on the Centennial Parklands directly opposite either the SFS or the Hordern/RHoI,.

Shhh.. don't tell.

Seriously, the only way I got a convenient park at the Hordern/RHoI end of Centennial Park today was due to the rain which had just started as i was trying to park. It forced the park goers to scat really quickly. Had it still been sunny, it would have been a struggle to get a park so close to that particular Centennial park entrance/exit.

Fox Studios is a disgrace. They had that family show thingy on today as well.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Today's crowd at the SCG will be dependent on how many SCG Trust members turn up.

Tickets to the rest of the ground have sold really well, based upon these pre-sales it would be disappointing if it doesn't hit high 30's.

31,100 in puring conditions today at the SCG was a great crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts