What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowdown

Juniors
What's with Melbourne crowds, they seem to be lower in the new stadium than they were at Olympic?

No - sameish.

However, they are well down on the early season averages they were enjoying this time last season.

It's pretty clear that we've lost fringe support. The 11-12k continue to turn up, but not many others are yet.

Hopefully a big crowd for the Warriors game will turn things around - but I am almost convinced it will take us time to earn their money - and rightfully so.

The NRL and News Limited simply punished the fans and the players - and the so-called 'rats' along with the people who allowed them to do it, continue on without any action.

Billythekid

First Grade
No - sameish.

However, they are well down on the early season averages they were enjoying this time last season.

It's pretty clear that we've lost fringe support. The 11-12k continue to turn up, but not many others are yet.

Hopefully a big crowd for the Warriors game will turn things around - but I am almost convinced it will take us time to earn their money - and rightfully so.

The NRL and News Limited simply punished the fans and the players - and the so-called 'rats' along with the people who allowed them to do it, continue on without any action.

We are only down on the early season average from last year because we had some of our biggest games early in the year. We still have all our biggest drawing opponents left to come.

I think it will take a little while to really start getting the neutrals to come back but our current form should help.

BDGS

Bench
Exactly, which is why most Sydney fans are pissweak, which is the point of this entire discussion.

Let's just rework all the stadiums and railway lines in Sydney for the lazy pricks who will still not turn up if it's a little cloudy anyway.

So you expect a young family to travel 1.2-1.5 hours to see a 2 hour game of footy then travel another 1.2-1.5 hours back home?

that would be hard enough to do at the best of times, let alone with a young family, let alone with a young family in the rain.

You either have no idea or have unrealistic expectations, i don't have kids but if i did particularly young ones their comfort and health would come before any game of football.

adamkungl

Immortal
So you expect a young family to travel 1.2-1.5 hours to see a 2 hour game of footy then travel another 1.2-1.5 hours back home?

that would be hard enough to do at the best of times, let alone with a young family, let alone with a young family in the rain.

You either have no idea or have unrealistic expectations, i don't have kids but if i did particularly young ones their comfort and health would come before any game of football.

Not everyone has a young family. I'm sure Penrith have more than 1000 fans who are capable of making the trip on a perfect night to an elimination semi final against a club with a decent rivalry.

As for no idea or unrealistic expectations, on the one hand you're bagging the semi final crowd against Penrith, and on the other saying you can't expect them to make the 1.5 hour trip. Which is it?

Facts are
-too many Sydney fans are lazy, don't go to enough games, and refuse to go to a game for the mildest of reasons.
-the SFS's location is fine. Every (almost) trainline in Sydney goes to central.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
-too many Sydney fans are lazy, don't go to enough games, and refuse to go to a game for the mildest of reasons.

The fact of the matter is if going to the football is an attractive enough proposition then people will go. One shouldn't be obliged to go to games, and if one is it will never be sustainable.

user_nat

Coach
Might need to downgrade my 23k prediction. :lol:

Can't remember what that 20k against the Sharks looked like for comparison.

dgsfan

Juniors
What are people expecting for Friday night? In the past this has been a 30,000+ crowd. With both coming off losses and Parra not looking good at all this year I'l predict 18,000. Might've be more if it were a Bulldogs home game.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I'd expect at least 25K on friday night, even though its a Parra home game the dogs members still get in right?
Should still be a decent crowd regardless of form.

user_nat

Coach
Was just over 24k tonight, certainly didn't look it before half time. Must have forgotten to tell people that the kick off wasn't at 7:30.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
21-22k on Friday night, I'm hoping that's conservative. Also depends on weather, obviously.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Round 6

Bulldogs V Parra 27k
Titans V tigers 17k
She eagles V warriors 11k
Easts V broncos 10k
Cowboys V Raiders 16k
Knights V Sharkies 16k
Panthers V Storm 13k
Wabbits V st. merge 21k

total = 131k, av = 16.4k

7 day BOM forecast says shower or 2 for sydney across weekend, but hopefully the rain pisses off for a change.

Last edited:

user_nat

Coach
NRL.com has tonights crowd at 25,522. Which is actually 200 more than last week, I am very skeptical of that figure, I'm sure Fox said 24k.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Official crowd is 25,522, on both NRL and FOX websites.

Hard to tell as the crowd seemed fairly spread out across the stadium, and it was definitely still building through most of the first half.

BDGS

Bench
Not everyone has a young family. I'm sure Penrith have more than 1000 fans who are capable of making the trip on a perfect night to an elimination semi final against a club with a decent rivalry.

As for no idea or unrealistic expectations, on the one hand you're bagging the semi final crowd against Penrith, and on the other saying you can't expect them to make the 1.5 hour trip. Which is it?

The argument has never changed, the SFS is in a bad locations for families and Rugby League is mostly an family event.

The facts are:
- Crowds at the SFS are disappointing
- There must be a reason for it
- There hasn't been a better suggested reason for it.

http://www.rleague.com/content/article.php?id=39038

Free public transport for rounds 6 and 7 at ANZ. Good to see, removes at least one excuse. But i would have thought the tigers and anzac game at the sfs would have meritted it as well?

23k is my bet in toad land

Does that include members?

I'd expect at least 25K on friday night, even though its a Parra home game the dogs members still get in right?

Yes we do, although some members don't go because it's not a 'home' game.

NRL.com has tonights crowd at 25,522. Which is actually 200 more than last week, I am very skeptical of that figure, I'm sure Fox said 24k.

Foxtel said 25,522, i made a point of noting that, so thats how i know.

Very noisy crowd tonight.

danmiles73

Juniors
At the ground the crowd was announced as 24,522. Who knows what is official. I think the number (24 or 25) is right. The western stand was fairly full at the top, a lot of people in the Eastern stand relocated themselves when a heavy-ish shower came through before kick off and (completely anecdotally) level five at the Milton Road end was about as full as it usually is for a mid- to high-20k match.

Status
Not open for further replies.