What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suitman

Post Whore
Looks to be alot fuller in the GA sections. I'd say its something to do with the promotion of the $40 family GA tickets with free transport, lots of Royal easter show people taking advantage...

Yep, definitely the free transport was the clincher.
I caught the bus from Dural, and the last two stops were bypassed as the bus was full. I myself wasn't going until I found out about the free transport which stops at the end of my street.
The bus wasn't full of Easter show patrons, it was full of mainly Eels fans with a few random Dogs supporters thrown in.

Suity

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Not sure of the damage this earthquake near Townsville has caused as yet, but it could effect the crowd tonight.

Red Bear

Referee
Why are people so desperate for a roof? Sure, provide as much spectator cover as possible, but rain and weather are a part of footy, and taking them out of the equation would be a bit, well, sh*t.

Evenflow

Bench
Why are people so desperate for a roof? Sure, provide as much spectator cover as possible, but rain and weather are a part of footy, and taking them out of the equation would be a bit, well, sh*t.

This. People bitch and moan about the rain but of course it's gonna rain given it's a winter sport! Buy an umbrella or a decent raincoat and that's problem solved right there.

Teddyboy

First Grade
High after ANZ crowd we have a f**king comedown at Gosford and Manly which games should be on a sunday afternoon.

docbrown

Coach

It's not desperation - it's just long term planning to have a venue in Sydney that can grow big crowds.

You could even have a partially retractable roof like Wembley. That was actually designed by Multiplex, an Australian engineering firm. That stadium has the largest amount of covered seating in the world and that's still with the roof open.

Red Bear

Referee
Oh i agree as much covered seating as possible is a good idea, but I dont want a Docklands stadium situation where the weather is just taken away from the game altogether

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
8616 at Gosford, so two crowds almost identical basically.

Stunned they got that many, roads were flooded during the day here, 15+ crashes on the F3 since 9am, pouring rain before, during and after the game.

Do not blame people for not coming out in this weather.

And it was a sh*tboring game.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Sydney's early forecast (yes i know it may turn out to be wrong) for the coming week is fine Monday through to Thursday. With showers next Friday and Saturday :crazy:

docbrown

Coach
Oh i agree as much covered seating as possible is a good idea, but I dont want a Docklands stadium situation where the weather is just taken away from the game altogether

Check out Wembley's design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyluS4TZKhQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z3i2yo_p4I

I remember reading it can seat about 60-70k undercover.

Imagine if you two arches at short ends of the stadium and a broken arch in the centre that's held back with a cantilever. You could then have a mechanical track that slides the roof across so that the centre of the pitch is exposed but all the upper tiers are covered.

Red Bear

Referee
Luckily no one knew that before the game :p

Don't really see why the Roosters chose to take this one to Gosford, Broncos don't draw that badly at the SFS do they?
Probably because it's usually on Good Friday, but with easter weekend and Anzac weekend being the same this year they couldnt do that, so probably ade a quick buck off this one?

beave

Coach
the turnstiles at DFS were still not recognising season ticket holders tonight, the attendant had to swipe us in, when the crowd figure of 10k was announced i nearly fell over. The ground holds 26-27k, it was half full, there's no way in the world there was only 10k there tonight, I've been there when there was only 9-10k (as recent as a few weeks ago against the storm) and IMO there was 14-15k tonight, if there was only 10k then over the last 16 years they've been bullsh*tting their figures to everyone.

Last edited:

Evenflow

Bench
Do not blame people for not coming out in this weather.

Fair enough when it's pouring up there like it has been today, you can make a case for sub 10k in those conditions if one of the teams are from out of town. It's more when there's only a shower or two and people make excuses for people not showing up when there's no excuse.

There's only meant to be a clearing shower or 2 tomorrow and apparently Penrith v Storm pre sales have been pretty good, also with the Tinkler takeover and cheap tickets, have they started yet? hopefully they can get some decent numbers.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Luckily no one knew that before the game :p

Don't really see why the Roosters chose to take this one to Gosford, Broncos don't draw that badly at the SFS do they?
It's normally Good Friday at the SFS, due to ANZAC Day falling on the same weekend, the Dragons/Roosters game takes precedence and it forced this game to be moved forward a week. Without the Good Friday occasion, the Roosters thought this was probably the best option to take up the F3.

I think they probably should've bought the Knights game up here again but meh. 8,616 is still a great crowd given the conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts