What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Raiderdave - I reckon a 5.2 magnitude earthquake, even if it is minor, is a little scary and might've prompted people to stay at home.

DC_fan

Coach
MEMBERSHIPS. The Swans i'm guessing have around 24K season ticket holders. A fair slab of these people probably wouldn't have turned up if they hadn't already paid for their tickets. It will be the same in the NRL. In 2-3 years, possibly earlier. We will start to see the decline in sub 10K crowds. As soon as season ticket holders for EVERY team hits around 11K, we should see NO sub 10K, unless extraordinary conditions occur. The membership growth will continue until no team will get any sub 20K etc.

ANY expansion team should be set a goal of 15K+ memberships in their opening season. This has been done well by the AFL in the case of the Suns, where they have 10K people turning up to every Suns home game no matter how badly :)lol:) they are going.

In passing seasons we haven't capitalized on teams successes, they have an outstandingly successful season and their crowds shoot up, but as soon as they start playing badly again their crowds plummet. This cycle has continued for too long. With memberships, we have observed crowds building off successful seasons and membership numbers rarely decrease in teams, making it alot easier to build on the successful seasons.

These are exciting times for the NRL. I can really see in 5 years we will be averaging 20K+.

We have seen a decline in sub 10,000 crowds since 2008. In that season we had 36 games that did not reach 10,000. In 2009 the number dropped to 27, while last season it was 22. Its way too early to discuss this season.

The majority of low crowds each season involve Sydney teams playing out of town teams. The smallest crowd for each of the past five seasons involved a Sydney team playing a team from outside of Sydney. I am not sure how you solve this problem.

I am not sure we will reach the stage (with the current clubs) where each team will reach a ticketed membership of 11,000 let alone 20,000.

DC_fan

Coach
What has gone wrong with the Cowboys and thier crowds?

Back in 2007 they averaged 20,107. It has dropped every year since then. Last year they averaged 14,340. This season, admittedly just after 4 games they are averaging 12,001. Yes in those 4 games this season there was a Friday and Monday night game.

Timmah

Staff member
Success. They've been consistently bad since 2007, of course that's going to see fans disappear.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Raiderdave - I reckon a 5.2 magnitude earthquake, even if it is minor, is a little scary and might've prompted people to stay at home.

what ... at 1pm in the afternoon or whateva it was ?
please .... thats rubbish

that wouldn't have stopped many from going ...most cowboy fans had no intention of going in the first place .. minor earth tremor or no minor earth tremor....
lets call it what it was & not offer up lame excuses ... a pathetic turnout

Timmah

Staff member
There would of been more than 8600...

Which is what my post was comparing. :roll:
Actually, Canterbury v North Queensland at Suncorp in 2008 drew in 8,549. Suncorp isn't infallible when it comes to sh*thouse NRL crowds.

But I'm sure there's an excuse, right? :roll:
what ... at 1pm in the afternoon or whateva it was ?
please .... thats rubbish

that wouldn't have stopped many from going ...most cowboy fans had no intention of going in the first place .. minor earth tremor or no minor earth tremor....
lets call it what it was & not offer up lame excuses ... a pathetic turnout
This is what gets me - people don't understand that no matter where you are, weather and even minor earthquakes are genuine fears.

Amongst people on this forum who are generally single or married guys or girls in their late teens, twenties or early thirties, we have the disposable income and the passionate support for our teams to get out there.

What we're forgetting is that more than 50% (if not more) of a crowd is made up of families, sometimes young families. If it's pissing down rain, families are going to be less inclined to go. Hysterical or not, if there's an earthquake, some families may think twice.

It's a fact of life and while you might get away with labelling people in their 20's with no attachments "a softcock" for not going to a game in bad weather, it's hardly fair to say weather or natural events aren't an excuse when families have young children and health to think of.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The majority of low crowds each season involve Sydney teams playing out of town teams. The smallest crowd for each of the past five seasons involved a Sydney team playing a team from outside of Sydney. I am not sure how you solve this problem.

Solution is ridiculously easy, take the games on the road to expansion areas.

At least if you only draw 10K it’s 10K new fans...

Timmah

Staff member
That might sound ridiculously easy, but you have parochial home support which is considered a massive advantage in Sydney (and everywhere I imagine), as well as a member base which in most cases demands home games at home. You can bet a whole raft of Roosters fans were PO'd about last night being at Gosford.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Actually, Canterbury v North Queensland at Suncorp in 2008 drew in 8,549. Suncorp isn't infallible when it comes to sh*thouse NRL crowds.

This is what gets me - people don't understand that no matter where you are, weather and even minor earthquakes are genuine fears.

Amongst people on this forum who are generally single or married guys or girls in their late teens, twenties or early thirties, we have the disposable income and the passionate support for our teams to get out there.

What we're forgetting is that more than 50% (if not more) of a crowd is made up of families, sometimes young families. If it's pissing down rain, families are going to be less inclined to go. Hysterical or not, if there's an earthquake, some families may think twice.

It's a fact of life and while you might get away with labelling people in their 20's with no attachments "a softcock" for not going to a game in bad weather, it's hardly fair to say weather or natural events aren't an excuse when families have young children and health to think of.

is it disposable income or an earthquake ...?
you seem confused :?

I said weather is an excuse & always is ... but a minor little rumble in the ground 6.5 hours before kickoff .. isn't & it wouldn't have kept anyone away.

big country

Juniors
The Broncos pulled 25k on a MONDAY IN THE RAIN.

Pull you head in. 8600 whatever way you spin it is not as good "crowd wise" had the game been played (minus the Broncos) in BNE or Perth in the same conditions...

WTF Rooters are doing putting game in Gosford when cant get people go to crowd to SFS :(

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Sun is peaking through and it could turn out to be a nice day in Sydney today. Please Penrith fans TURN UP! :pray::pray::pray:

Wilson1

Juniors
To say that a 5.2 earthquake would have turned away around 2,000 fans is ridiculous. I would not even jump under my desk for a 5.2.

Timmah

Staff member
Never quantified the amount - 2,000 is excessive.

Given Townsville, suffered it's share of natural disasters recently, one or two hundred tops would probably have stayed away. JMO

applesauce

Bench

:lol:

FMD talk about drawing a long bow.

That was a round 22 game, with BOTH TEAMS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE LADDER.
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/2008.html

Trying to compare that to a Roosters v Broncos match in Round 6 when both teams are more than competitive and have greater support in the area/surrounding areas than a Sydney based and FNQ based team playing in Brisbane is laughable.

Read some of the comments in the build up to the round 22 "blockbuster" including yours...
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p

lollerskates

Timmah

Staff member
Roosters more than competitive? They've won 2/5, neither in convincing circumstances.

But that's right - torrential, flooding weather is no excuse for people to turn up :roll:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The rain was pretty torential on the coast all day saturday and sat nite, pretty much the reason i didn't show.

Manly need to make a conserted effort to sort that s***hole of a "stadium" out. It makes the league look amateurish, 2 hills and a tiny stand holding what 5k?? It is NOT FIT for the premier comp of the code. Seriously, there are non-league teams in english soccer with better stadia than brookvale.

applesauce

Bench
Roosters more than competitive? They've won 2/5, neither in convincing circumstances.

But that's right - torrential, flooding weather is no excuse for people to turn up :roll:

They were favourites and so early in the year after a GF appearance, hardly the same comparison.

I never said it wasn't. My point was in Brisbane or Perth more would of shown up if a "localised" team was playing (Souths in Perths case) at this stage of the year.

Timmah

Staff member
You clearly have no idea what the weather was like last night then.

Status
Not open for further replies.