What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

parano1a

Juniors
Fair enough when it's pouring up there like it has been today, you can make a case for sub 10k in those conditions if one of the teams are from out of town. It's more when there's only a shower or two and people make excuses for people not showing up when there's no excuse.

Why do people set their expectations so low? Crowds under 10k aren't acceptable in any conditions - the Swans v Geelong game at the SCG tonight still managed to get 25k, so why are Sydney NRL fans so scared of a little rain? It's a winter sport!

Red Bear

Referee
It's normally Good Friday at the SFS, due to ANZAC Day falling on the same weekend, the Dragons/Roosters game takes precedence and it forced this game to be moved forward a week. Without the Good Friday occasion, the Roosters thought this was probably the best option to take up the F3.

I think they probably should've bought the Knights game up here again but meh. 8,616 is still a great crowd given the conditions
Someone as scouting as yourself should've seen this exact thing posted a few responses above;-)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What a farcical comparison :lol:

The Swans, who haven't played at the SCG since August 2010, who only play there about what, 8 or 9 times a season, as opposed to fans of a sport who see a plethora of matches each weekend?

Not to mention both away sides were out-of-towners (NZ and Brisbane) with very small away support.

Oh, and a "little rain" :lol:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/local/nsw/a/-/local/9208576/spate-of-accidents-prompts-police-warning/

Heavy rainfall has caused a spate of road accidents across NSW, with 15 collisions occurring within a few hours on the Central Coast alone.

Police on Saturday made an urgent appeal to motorists to slow down, as heavy rains continued to batter much of the state.

An overnight downpour brought rainfall levels to 57mm by 9am (AEST) in Sydney, making it the wettest April day since 2001, online weather provider Weatherzone said.The heavy rains led to 15 separate collisions on the F3 freeway on the Central Coast on Saturday morning.

Several collisions were also reported across Sydney and in the Blue Mountains, police Inspector Jon Goddard said in a statement.

Evenflow

Bench
Why do people set their expectations so low? Crowds under 10k aren't acceptable in any conditions - the Swans v Geelong game at the SCG tonight still managed to get 25k, so why are Sydney NRL fans so scared of a little rain? It's a winter sport!

Mate if you go back over this thread you'll see that i don't set my expectations low and if anything i've only been accused of setting them too high by the usual whinging bitches. It's just that i'm finally coming to terms that many (not all) Sydney RL fans for whatever their reasons just don't want to go and see their teams when it's raining.

Yes i think it's weak, i don't agree with it and i'll never understand it but unfortunately it's just the way it is and i can't see it changing any time soon. The reason why i'm cutting them a bit of slack tonight is that lets face it, Manly fans struggle to show up at the best of times let alone when it's pissing down against the Warriors and the other game on the CC was the Roosters against an interstate team in torrential rain so it hardly a surprise what they got under the circumstances. I mean how many Roosters and Broncs fans live on the CC and you cant really blame the Sydney based ones for not driving down in that weather.

If it were 4 Sydney sides up gainst each other i'd be much more likely to have a different view.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

I saw some of that game (my mate with Fox is a fan), there is no way there was 25k there. It's just a flat out lie, but believe it all you want fella.

Teddyboy

First Grade
the turnstiles at DFS were still not recognising season ticket holders tonight, the attendant had to swipe us in, when the crowd figure of 10k was announced i nearly fell over. The ground holds 26-27k, it was half full, there's no way in the world there was only 10k there tonight, I've been there when there was only 9-10k (as recent as a few weeks ago against the storm) and IMO there was 14-15k tonight, if there was only 10k then over the last 16 years they've been bullsh*tting their figures to everyone.

Yeah they had more there tonight then they did against the Knights judging from the tv.

beave

Coach
yeah I thought the same thing Teddy, I used that and the Storm game as comparisons and there's no way in the world there was only 10k here tonight. I have been to roughly about 80-90 games here at DFS over the years and I know what a 10k crowd looks like in this stadium, and it wasn't 10k...........

Danish

Referee
Luckily no one knew that before the game :p

Don't really see why the Roosters chose to take this one to Gosford, Broncos don't draw that badly at the SFS do they?

Generally one of our best drawing games of the year, actually (helps that its usually good friday)

I hate the roosters taking any game to gosford, but if we must then surely the cowboys game (which is a consistently terrible crowd and usually a 5:30 saturday game) would be the one to move there

nko11

Juniors

MEMBERSHIPS. The Swans i'm guessing have around 24K season ticket holders. A fair slab of these people probably wouldn't have turned up if they hadn't already paid for their tickets. It will be the same in the NRL. In 2-3 years, possibly earlier. We will start to see the decline in sub 10K crowds. As soon as season ticket holders for EVERY team hits around 11K, we should see NO sub 10K, unless extraordinary conditions occur. The membership growth will continue until no team will get any sub 20K etc.

ANY expansion team should be set a goal of 15K+ memberships in their opening season. This has been done well by the AFL in the case of the Suns, where they have 10K people turning up to every Suns home game no matter how badly :)lol:) they are going.

In passing seasons we haven't capitalized on teams successes, they have an outstandingly successful season and their crowds shoot up, but as soon as they start playing badly again their crowds plummet. This cycle has continued for too long. With memberships, we have observed crowds building off successful seasons and membership numbers rarely decrease in teams, making it alot easier to build on the successful seasons.

These are exciting times for the NRL. I can really see in 5 years we will be averaging 20K+.

applesauce

Bench
ANY expansion team should be set a goal of 15K+ memberships in their opening season. This has been done well by the AFL in the case of the Suns, where they have 10K people turning up to every Suns home game no matter how badly :)lol:) they are going.

Was listening to a podcast of Melbourne radio and Dave Hughes was buying a full ticketed family membership to the Suns and encouraging others to do so, despite living in Melbourne.... :lol:

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
Great crowd at Gosford considering how sh*thouse the weather's been today. Imagine how many will turn up in the rain when we've got our own team to support rather than having to watch a team from out of state and the least popular team in the NRL :)

applesauce

Bench
The Broncos pulled 25k on a MONDAY IN THE RAIN.

Pull you head in. 8600 whatever way you spin it is not as good "crowd wise" had the game been played (minus the Broncos) in BNE or Perth in the same conditions...

Raiderdave

First Grade
the 2 crowds at Brookvale & Gosford were
meh ... understandable under the circumstances ... because there were circumstances .. lots of rain.. & they were played at grounds with less then half the capacity having protection from these conditions
th crowd in Townsville looked bigger then 10K odd .... but it was still pathetic .... Dry sunny day , lovely night ... & their team playing well .. theres no excuses .. it was a dreadful turnout:?

Cowboys fans have a team again
off their asses they need to get .... & watch em.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Broncos pulled 25k on a MONDAY IN THE RAIN.

Pull you head in. 8600 whatever way you spin it is not as good "crowd wise" had the game been played (minus the Broncos) in BNE or Perth in the same conditions...
Oh god get a clue. The commentators at Gosford last night very clearly relayed how much worse the weather was last night than it was last weekend.

Read the news article I posted earlier, wake up to yourself and have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.