What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Pete

Referee
The Broncos haven't given fans much incentive to attend these double header games.

Haven't won one yet.

After 2012 I think it's time to move it down South.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In terms of results maybe not but the added bonus of two games is a good selling point you'd think. The crowd probably suffered this year due to it being a Manly home game - whereas in the past it's been a Broncos home game with season tickets honoured.

some11

Referee
Brisbane members should have been let in for free.

This is the main reason why it wasn't 45k+

Manly home game? get f**ked.

I still went though and stayed for both games, scheduling and stand alone weekends for Origin need to be seriously addressed soon.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Can anyone explain why Manly and Bulldogs played these games in Brisbane, when they could have been played in expansion areas and probably drawn a similar aggregate crowd?

broncos2012

Juniors
Yeah don't get this shitty double header. Especially during origin. Broncs game alone would've drawn the same crowd.

+ the tits are going horrible this year.

Raiderdave

First Grade
so thats 16K a piece
the Dogs may have got that to ANZ V the Titans... given fine weather on a sunday arvo

Manly in their current form may have too at Brookie against the Broncos .. again given the right conditions
that being a nice sunny sunday arvo

so it was a near pointless excerise :sarcasm:

the timing wasn't right
( later in the year or earlier but not during origin & on a Saturday back to back ..5.30 & 7.30 ) Broncos & Titans members in for nada & it may have pushed 50K , thats the way to do it.

danmiles73

Juniors
In terms of results maybe not but the added bonus of two games is a good selling point you'd think. The crowd probably suffered this year due to it being a Manly home game - whereas in the past it's been a Broncos home game with season tickets honoured.

This is the reason I wasn't there. I actually called up Ticketek to buy the tickets in the pre-sale period for my (and my plus one's) seats. Firstly the call centre person wouldn't let me get the ticket for both seats -- insisted that we would both have to call independently as we were different members and members could only buy for their own seats. After some to and fro they relented... but wanted to charge me the full booking fee ($8?) for each seat, not just for the transaction. At that time, I told them to forget it. Upshot? Two fewer people in the crowd last night.

user_nat

Coach
Doubt those games would have average 16k at the teams actual home grounds. Not impossible though..

Last 3 Broncos games at Brookvale:
2010: 11,316
2007: 13,493
2006: 16,198

Titans only game at ANZ with Bulldogs:
2007: 14,675

So I think it was probably worth doing, considering the increased ticket prices at Suncorp. Had the crowd only been 32k and a Broncos home game, that would have not been worth it.

yakstorm

First Grade
so it was a near pointless excerise :sarcasm:

Not really, from a revenue side of things, it would have netted both the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles a lot more money than playing at their respective grounds.

First off, the ticket prices for matches at Suncorp are greater than both Brookvale and ANZ, and especially in Manly's case, there are a lot more Cat 1 and Cat 2 seats to sell at Suncorp than Brookvale.

Secondly it was pretty much a free stadium to sell, there were no members, very few sponsor tickets would have been given out, and so on. So out of those 32,000 you would have had around 30,000 paying for just that game.

Compare it say with a traditional Bulldogs game at ANZ, yes they would have gone close to getting 16K anyway, but it would have been 10K Bulldogs members, possibly 2K ANZ Stadium members, 1K sponsor inclusions, and only around 3K actually paying for that single match.

All in all, it was still a sound fiscal move. I think the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles should stick with it, yes it needs some tweaking now that the Broncos are no longer a home team, but it can still work.

BDGS

Bench
The QLD Reds crowd probably took away from the Double Header a bit.

Perhaps, we really do need to have a break for Origin and play other test matches those weeks as well.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
The timing was wrong too, if the double header had been played in say round 20, with the same 4 teams, the crowd would have been a lot bigger.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Positive sign at ausgrid. People already in the top corners of the eastern stand, usually they are empty or sparsely populated. andrew moore said 15k expected but should be 16-20k

bobbis

Juniors
Not really, from a revenue side of things, it would have netted both the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles a lot more money than playing at their respective grounds.

First off, the ticket prices for matches at Suncorp are greater than both Brookvale and ANZ, and especially in Manly's case, there are a lot more Cat 1 and Cat 2 seats to sell at Suncorp than Brookvale.

Secondly it was pretty much a free stadium to sell, there were no members, very few sponsor tickets would have been given out, and so on. So out of those 32,000 you would have had around 30,000 paying for just that game.

Compare it say with a traditional Bulldogs game at ANZ, yes they would have gone close to getting 16K anyway, but it would have been 10K Bulldogs members, possibly 2K ANZ Stadium members, 1K sponsor inclusions, and only around 3K actually paying for that single match.

All in all, it was still a sound fiscal move. I think the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles should stick with it, yes it needs some tweaking now that the Broncos are no longer a home team, but it can still work.

In working out the profit you'd probably have to factor in what one less home game in Sydney does to the membership prices for Manly and the Dogs. I presume the clubs wouldn't rip their members off and charge them the same price as normal for one less game. However I'd agree it's probably profitable.

Even letting in Titans and Broncos members for free or discounts might've been worth it, there's the inflated food and beverage prices to consider.

nko11

Juniors
18,723 at Ausgrid tonight. 600 more than last home game despite their form! Hopefully we see this continue and next year they can average well over 20K!

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Shocking weather too.

Well done Newcastle fans!

The Cowboys are hopeful of a really good crowd too apparently as they look for 6 straight home wins.

Kogarah should go close to 20k as well.

docbrown

Coach
18,723 at Ausgrid tonight. 600 more than last home game despite their form! Hopefully we see this continue and next year they can average well over 20K!

Just got back. Great atmosphere despite the rain. Crowd really lifted in the second half.

I think if it had been sunny today then we would have been well over 20k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts