What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

firechild

First Grade
It gets really cold in Canberra?

I've always wanted to contact the merchandise people at the raiders and talk them into selling lime green raiders blankets on game day. I think winter game day wear is something they could really look into more - you sell more merch and you get people warm and willing to head out to games.

That was the best thing about the old jerseys, they were actually pretty warm. Manly have sold plenty of the Warmold retro jerseys probably for precisely that reason.

juro

Bench
So what would be the ideal results in the finals to maximise the crowds? I'm guessing:

Week 1
Sharks beat Raiders
Broncos beat Cowboys
Storm beat Souths
Manly beat Bulldogs

Week 2
Bulldogs beat Broncos (Sydney)
Souths beat Sharks (Sydney)

Week 3 (results don't matter as grand final will be a sellout regardless)
Manly vs Souths (Sydney)
Storm vs Bulldogs (Melbourne)

skeepe

Immortal
I used to be a Brumbies season ticket holder and had seats in the western bowl. If you had a jacket and beanie on I honestly didn't think it was that bad.

Never went to a Brumbies game in June or July did you?

Honestly, I'm there regardless of how the team is going but even I drew the line at the weather we had for the Tigers game. No chance in hell.

For the Storm game, you needed an ark to get to the stadium it rained that much, think there was one other rained out too.

The Dragons game it was -1 at kick off... honestly, this is the coldest winter I can remember in a long time, and it seemed like the Raiders games all fell on the absolute coldest of them all.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So what would be the ideal results in the finals to maximise the crowds? I'm guessing:

Week 1
Sharks beat Raiders
Broncos beat Cowboys
Storm beat Souths
Manly beat Bulldogs

Week 2
Bulldogs beat Broncos (Sydney)
Souths beat Sharks (Sydney)

Week 3 (results don't matter as grand final will be a sellout regardless)
Manly vs Souths (Sydney)
Storm vs Bulldogs (Melbourne)
Souths v Dogs in week 3 is the best for crowds. It would get 75-83k.

Brutus

Referee
Souths v Dogs week 3 would sell out.

The only way it wouldn't be at capacity would be ANZ Stadium members not turning up.

ek999

First Grade
Never went to a Brumbies game in June or July did you?

Honestly, I'm there regardless of how the team is going but even I drew the line at the weather we had for the Tigers game. No chance in hell.

For the Storm game, you needed an ark to get to the stadium it rained that much, think there was one other rained out too.

The Dragons game it was -1 at kick off... honestly, this is the coldest winter I can remember in a long time, and it seemed like the Raiders games all fell on the absolute coldest of them all.

No but I have gone to about 10 or 15 Raiders matches in June/July/August and still not a problem. Unless its raining then I agree there's not a chance I would go. But some of the day match crowds have been terrible where you can't blame the cold.

Fact is the Raiders crowd average is the worst of all clubs this year. The best has been 13,000 against Bulldogs 2 weeks ago. Only Melbourne and Roosters have an average crowd lower than the Raiders best crowd. Take out as many cold shitty nights where its raining as you like and they will still have the worst crowd average

Chook Norris

First Grade
http://nrl.com/free-public-transport-to-bulldogs-v-sea-eagles/tabid/10874/newsid/69733/default.aspx

The NRL, State Government and ANZ Stadium have made it even easier for Sydney Rugby League fans to attend Friday night’s blockbuster Qualifying Final between the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles with all public transport costs now included in the ticket price.

Junior Pass holders who have activated their passes will also be able to gain free entry to the Week 1 Telstra Premiership Finals matches in Sydney and Melbourne.

The special event public transport service to and from ANZ Stadium on Friday night will assist all fans to be part of the only Week 1 Telstra Premiership Finals Series match to be played in Sydney.

“This is a great opportunity to enjoy the excitement of the Finals Series and I would like to thank the NSW Government and ANZ Stadium for their support in providing this service to fans travelling to the game on Friday night,” NRL Interim Chief Executive, Mr Shane Mattiske, said today.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
No but I have gone to about 10 or 15 Raiders matches in June/July/August and still not a problem. Unless its raining then I agree there's not a chance I would go. But some of the day match crowds have been terrible where you can't blame the cold.

Fact is the Raiders crowd average is the worst of all clubs this year. The best has been 13,000 against Bulldogs 2 weeks ago. Only Melbourne and Roosters have an average crowd lower than the Raiders best crowd. Take out as many cold shitty nights where its raining as you like and they will still have the worst crowd average

Yes mate we get this. Imagine the cold as a handicap that the raiders have to overcome by motivating the public to come to the games. With the outright antagonism from the club towards the fanbase and how shit they have been playing ( especially at home) they are lucky if anyone shows up with the weather.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

The weather isn't the sole reason for low crowds but it's definitely a factor. Combine that with an ordinary 18 months for the club then yes you're going to have some low attendances.

But the truth is more people are going to come out to games when it's warmer regardless of how the team is travelling. To rule it out as a factor is just nonsence.
We averaged 10,098 for day games this season. Which isn't great but not as bad as I thought, considering we only hosted two top 8 teams (Cronulla-7th and Brisbane-8th) and hosted the Warriors and Titans who have bugger all supporters in Canberra.

Last edited:

*Paul*

Juniors
I used to be a Brumbies season ticket holder and had seats in the western bowl. If you had a jacket and beanie on I honestly didn't think it was that bad.

I'd have to agree, I've been to 250+ games (269 to be exact) at Bruce, with proper clothing the cold is of little consequence.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Can someone please in the media pump this game up

Front page spread in the tele would be nice

Couple of big headlines;

Big T Rex is going to go soft on his new team

Toovey claims he is coach of the year

Something anything

Brutus

Referee

Couple of big headlines;

Something anything

Fully agree. The media should be going into overdrive.

We need more through the gates than parra v dragons.

t-ba

Post Whore
Disclaimer: I'm not defending Manly's crowds. They're not anywhere near where they should be...Seems as though success, if anything, has turned fans away from the club. I gues with the quality of the 'facilities' at Brookvale and the fact it's a complete shambles in terms of infrastructure, this shouldn't be a surprise. But the club should be doing a hell of a lot more promotion...

Please note that I have reformatted this so what appeared to be sentences in the original, incoherent rant aren't spaced apart...

your team is the defending premiers winning the 2008 GF & appearing in the 2007 GF as well & have been near or in the top 4 all year yet couldn't average 14,000 at Brookvale :eek:i t aint anything to crow about

Yeah, except we haven't been 'in or near the top 4' all season.

We outdrew you in 2004-2006 when the teams weren't to far apart in performance terms...Our crowds are sh*t but they've been better than yours.

put our club in your position ... 3GF's in 4 years .. winning 2 & top 4 all year also give us a climate thats the same as Sydney's

& ask yourself if we'd do better then 14,000? we'd whop that pathetic figure:lol::lol:

now Manly come out & win one week by 30 away then lose by 40 at home the next & this goes on week after week your chairmen says he doesn't care about his clubs fans .. they aren't important :sarcasm:

you play in conditions that range from freezing to artic ... & 3 games get rained out would Manly average 10,000 plus still you'd barely get half that

& thats a fact .....

don't compare your clubs fans to ours pound for pound that are not in our post code when it comes to support V relative performance.;-)

Boo f**king hoo. You make it sound like Canberrans are unable to handle the climate that THEY F*CKING LIVE IN.

It's a lovely story and a beautiful fiction you have there.

If it was a fact it could be proved. Short of changing Australian climate patterns, it can't be proved.

Swap us Brookvale for Bruce (If we had a 25k capacity we'd have averaged over 14k at Brookvale. As it stands we've had a capacity of about 17k for the last few years. Brookvale makes Bruce look like the Westin)...And then swap the Gumbies for the Waratards and the Thwans who play in vastly better stadiums...It's not like our board is exactly a super happy family either.

Seriously, good work canberra but please shut up Mr Dave...

M2D2

Bench

Couple of big headlines;

Something anything
Gotta feel sorry for the media. Its Wednesday and you already have douchebags complaining that there isnt enough weak bullshit media buildup just trying to rile up on the weakest of trollop.
I think its fanfuuuuckingtastic that they arent writing these fluff agenda stories for once.
That being said im sure they will be in the newspaper tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts