What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Doc

Coach
Raiders- well done.

Cowboys- I won't pass judgement until the crowd is announced, but I've leant a sympathetic ear to beave over the years and have understood the impact of drought etc. but if they don't sellout a one-off home final against their biggest rivals in their ideal timeslot then things are dire. They were boasting on twitter about cowboys fans buying tickets at a ratio of 3:1 over broncos fans. IT'S IN TOWNSVILLE! It should be 15:1!

Storm: maybe needs more promotion regarding a link to the afl? Call it the ultimate sporting night out? Offer discount if you already have a ticket to the afl at 730?

Dogs: the problem with an 82,000 seat stadium is there is no incentive to pre-buy tickets. You're not going to get locked out. Should get 35k (unless we get a downpour) which is a pass since saints and tigers only got something like that same timeslot last year

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It's a three fold thing with the raiders. It's crazy cold the coldest professional sports ground in Australia, not much on field success and the clown of a chairman.

:lol:.

Your club almost managed to pull less than 10k for an average. You're club hasn't had a higher average than Manly since 2003...

So your fans 'boycotted' games because of the Furners during the regular season but now that you're in the Semi's everyone's showing up? Riiight...

...Congrats on the crowd. But after the season your club had in terms of gates, it might be advisable to take a chill pill and stop bagging clubs that averaged anywhere from 40 to 120% more people through the gate per game than the Raiders...

Manly fans can't really talk about crowds.

With all the success the club has had, especially in the past 5 years, their history, climate and location in the league heartland of Sydney they should be selling out every game at Brookvale.

Yeah no problems, we will just ship the weather over

I am sick to death of the ?it?s cold? excuse in Canberra. The joint has always and will always be cold so it can?t be a surprise to anyone when the chill kicks in. Personally, I can?t see why anyone would stay away in Canberra due to the cold, it is likely to be just as cold for any other game there so what is the difference?

It's isn't an excuse. It's a reason. Which plays a big part in why you're never going to see massive crowd averages for the Raiders or the Brumbies now since they play deeper into winter.

As for this season, of course it was cold (freezing at a lot of games), but it isn't an excuse for the decline.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Canberra is a bandwagon town. Always has been, always will be. If a team is going well, they will turn up no matter what. Case in point is the Brumbies in early 2000's. Constantly winning and pretty much every game was a sell-out even when it is -2 or -3. Now they barely get anyone to matches regardless of the conditions because they aren't going too well. Same for the Raiders, going well the crowds will be big. Going bad, they will struggle to 10k even if it is 23 degress and not a cloud in the sky

every club in every sport has bandwagoners peanut
you think manly would get the support they got this year ... which as I've said isn't that grand anyway ... if they'd played like us all year & hadn't seen any sort of success for 18 years
seriously some of the posters in here are as dumb as they come :lol::lol:

at least we turn up for finals even when we've had a bad year
thats better then nothing & more then can be said for fans of a lot of teams ;-)

Walt Flanigan

Referee
So all year these fellow Raiders fans in my office - who I dislike for unrelated reasons - have bitched and moaned about the atmosphere at Raiders games, and about the public not turning out to games. And now that the general public is jumping on board and selling out the stadium do they celebrate? No. They bitch and moan about not being able to sit in their regular seats. They deride the wave of support as 'bandwagoners'. FFS, i'm not sitting in my normal seat either, and I couldn't give two sh*ts. Atmosphere's going to be amazing! We need to embrace the wave of support, not dismiss it as 'bloody bandwagoners'. Belt up Raiders fans!

:lol:

Have to agree. There's no pleasing some down here!

ek999

First Grade
There's no doubt Canberra is a bandwagon town, but the cold still plays it's part. There's not a lot of people who want their kids out in those temperatures. But it is a lot easier to put up with those conditions when you're team is going well.

Either way it's not going to be a factor this weekend. It's starting to warm up down here and should be around 20 degrees on Sunday.

They live with those conditions each and every year FFS, if you can't get used to the cold there is something wrong, I know I managed to cope when I lived there. Give your kid a jacket, beanie and gloves to wear and they will be fine. If it's not raining they aren't going to get sick.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Raiders- well done.

Cowboys- I won't pass judgement until the crowd is announced, but I've leant a sympathetic ear to beave over the years and have understood the impact of drought etc. but if they don't sellout a one-off home final against their biggest rivals in their ideal timeslot then things are dire. They were boasting on twitter about cowboys fans buying tickets at a ratio of 3:1 over broncos fans. IT'S IN TOWNSVILLE! It should be 15:1!

Storm: maybe needs more promotion regarding a link to the afl? Call it the ultimate sporting night out? Offer discount if you already have a ticket to the afl at 730?

Dogs: the problem with an 82,000 seat stadium is there is no incentive to pre-buy tickets. You're not going to get locked out. Should get 35k (unless we get a downpour) which is a pass since saints and tigers only got something like that same timeslot last year

Tigers & Dragons got 45,600 last year

Pete Cash

Post Whore
They live with those conditions each and every year FFS, if you can't get used to the cold there is something wrong, I know I managed to cope when I lived there. Give your kid a jacket, beanie and gloves to wear and they will be fine. If it's not raining they aren't going to get sick.

But when the sides playing like a busted arse and the chairman is making ludicrous and verging on insulting comments in the press the cold weather sure is difficult to get over for someone who is say not a die hard raiders supporter.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

Yeah we all camp outside at night :roll:

Usually inside with the central heating cranked champ.

There's a big difference between the temperature during the day and the temperature at night.

Raiderdave

First Grade

nothing to do with being used to it
turn that weather on in Sydney & see how you lot would go following a side that played as badly as we did at times in 2012

or

give us Sydney weather & a winning side
Raiders fans win on both counts

its as simple as that ;-)

Saint Doc

Coach
Tigers & Dragons got 45,600 last year

Really? Fair enough. I was there and remember thinking it was an average crowd.

Ok, well the pass mark should be 40k for Friday. Dogs are bigger crowd drawers than us or tigers, and combined with the des/toovs factor, should get 40

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It gets really cold in Canberra?

I've always wanted to contact the merchandise people at the raiders and talk them into selling lime green raiders blankets on game day. I think winter game day wear is something they could really look into more - you sell more merch and you get people warm and willing to head out to games.

Flapper

First Grade
I was down there for the Tigers game, on the eastern side and the rain did not stop. Literally the coldest night of my life.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It's verging on geniused not to understand that its harder for the raiders to get people to just show up ( especially when they play badly) with the cold. Why would anyone want to go watch the raiders in the cold when they play like shit and the chairman has been saying mental stuff in the papers.

If the raiders play well and jmac keeps his dumb mouth shut people will put up with the weather. It's still always going to be a struggle to pull big crowds on a Saturday night in the middle of winter.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I used to be a Brumbies season ticket holder and had seats in the western bowl. If you had a jacket and beanie on I honestly didn't think it was that bad.

yeah

til last year they played most of their games in Feb / March :roll:

LatK7

First Grade
Really? Fair enough. I was there and remember thinking it was an average crowd.

Ok, well the pass mark should be 40k for Friday. Dogs are bigger crowd drawers than us or tigers, and combined with the des/toovs factor, should get 40

Probably did seem average compared to the 71,000 who turned out to the prelim the year before.

Status
Not open for further replies.