What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I think 30k will be gone by tonight... leaves about 40k public tickets

They will probably sell 15-20 tomorrow

Low 70's i think

day 1 public will match the members
the Bulldogs have less members then souths
but more active supporters so they'd be waiting for tomorrow

i'll be surprised if we won't be at or near 60K by this time tomorrow
& on track to beat 09's crowd.

ouwet

Bench
day 1 public will match the members
the Bulldogs have less members then souths
but more active supporters so they'd be waiting for tomorrow

i'll be surprised if we won't be at or near 60K by this time tomorrow
& on track to beat 09's crowd.

Hopefully... Few tweets on twitter saying Swans 21K NRL 17K, surely it's wrong (Don't know or care about AFL) but PAX numbers are now over 30,600 and level 6 is open, Souths article surely is wrong.

Lucky Roy

Juniors
About time someone commented on the likely crowd in Melbourne. Will it top the piddling 19000 achieved for the Melbourne-Souths game, in which Souths got nearly half the numbers? I don't think anyone would seriously suggest that Manly would garner those sort of numbers, although anything is possible. The real issue is the actual level of support Melbourne really has. Anything less than 25,000 would be a total failure. In fact 25,000 really is a failure.I'm pretty sure there will be an AFL game on the night and it will be Hawthorn (not a mega club) and out of town Adelaide. Time to piss or get off the pot, Melbourne.

The Eagle

Juniors
About time someone commented on the likely crowd in Melbourne. Will it top the piddling 19000 achieved for the Melbourne-Souths game, in which Souths got nearly half the numbers? I don't think anyone would seriously suggest that Manly would garner those sort of numbers, although anything is possible. The real issue is the actual level of support Melbourne really has. Anything less than 25,000 would be a total failure. In fact 25,000 really is a failure.I'm pretty sure there will be an AFL game on the night and it will be Hawthorn (not a mega club) and out of town Adelaide. Time to piss or get off the pot, Melbourne.

Yeah because crowd numbers are EVERYTHING lol, must be butthurt Manly won't ever die

Raiderdave

First Grade
.I'm pretty sure there will be an AFL game on the night and it will be Hawthorn (not a mega club) and out of town Adelaide. Time to piss or get off the pot, Melbourne.

you'd be pretty wrong then

the vicky kicky in Melbourne is on the Sat .. not the Friday

theres nothing being played in Melbourne when the Storm will be playing Manly

Lucky Roy

Juniors
Of course, you're correct. Sydney vs Collingwood is Friday. Sort of underlines the need for Melbourne to do a bit better, crowd-wise.

By the way. Congrats on Canberra turning up in numbers last Saturday. You put Manly to shame. One exception was the idiot in the Canberra jumper getting kicked out of the Pagewood Rex as I was walking in. Tripped over his own feet because he was as blind as but it didn't stop him racially abusing the Lebanese (?) bouncer and wanting to fight him - luckilyfor him the bouncer exercised some restraint.

Billythekid

First Grade
Last week Melbourne got almost 20K against a team we have no rivalry with an AFL game on and it wasn't a knockout final. A knockout final against our biggest rival with no AFL should comfortably beat that. Should be aiming for a sellout really.

Lucky Roy

Juniors
Last week Melbourne got almost 20K against a team we have no rivalry with an AFL game on and it wasn't a knockout final. A knockout final against our biggest rival with no AFL should comfortably beat that. Should be aiming for a sellout really.

What does AAMI hold? 30K? If you say there is a rivalry with Manly (actually, every game in the finals comes under that category) and there is no AFL, you'd want to think that "sports mad" Melbourne could fill the place. After all, it's right next door to Richmond station which is a bit like Redfern in that most trains go through there and it's not that far from Melbourne's excellent freeway network. Not to mention the trams. I want to see 30,000, given what you've just stated...

Billythekid

First Grade
What does AAMI hold? 30K? If you say there is a rivalry with Manly (actually, every game in the finals comes under that category) and there is no AFL, you'd want to think that "sports mad" Melbourne could fill the place. After all, it's right next door to Richmond station which is a bit like Redfern in that most trains go through there and it's not that far from Melbourne's excellent freeway network. Not to mention the trams. I want to see 30,000, given what you've just stated...

Don't take this the wrong way but have you even watched league in the last 5 years? Because i honestly don't know how else you couldn't know about the rivalry between Melbourne and Manly. Also just being a finals game doesn't make every game a rivalry, that makes no sense.

I agree with you though. The storm should be aiming for 30K or thereabouts and i would be disappointed if it was much less.

cleary89

Coach
AFL fans lead NRL followers in tickets sales for big ANZ stadium finals weekend
Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
September 18, 2012 12:00AM

Sydney Swans Nick Malceski and Marty Mattner train at ANZ Stadium which is hosting both AFL and NRL finals this weekend. Picture: Phil Hillyard Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE AFL grabbed a decisive early lead over the NRL in the great cross-code ANZ Stadium preliminary finals ticket race.

Swans and Collingwood members had snapped up 21,000 tickets to Friday night's blockbuster by 6pm yesterday - 4000 more than the number sold to Saturday night's Rabbitohs and Bulldogs grand final qualifier.

However, the 17,000 tickets brought by Rabbitohs and Bulldogs members yesterday set an NRL record for a preliminary final. By this morning, that figure was expected to surge past 20,000.

Souths fans had purchased 55 per cent of tickets, the Bulldogs 45 per cent. Tickets yesterday were only available to club members and go on sale to the general public today.

About 8000 tickets were also sold yesterday for Friday night's NRL preliminary final between Manly and Melbourne at AAMI Park.

Both NRL ticket figures were opening day records.

Based on yesterday's sales, the Bulldogs-Souths crowd could pass the record of 74,549, set at the 2009 preliminary final between Canterbury and Parramatta. "It's huge," said an NRL source.

AFL officials also believe their match will pull a crowd of more than 70,000 people.

Both codes will be desperate to claim bragging rights over their winter sporting rivals.

Most agree the NRL should attract more given Sydney's love of rugby league - and that the game is between two famous Harbour City clubs.

NRL interim CEO Shane Mattiske said the crowd should be a ripper.

"Given this is potentially Souths' first grand final in 41 years, we are hoping as many Rabbitohs fans as possible get out there and watch," he said.

"And given the success and excitement around Canterbury, we're certain their fans will also be out in force.

"This will be one of the best finals match-ups in the history of the NRL.

"We are very much looking forward to a strong crowd at ANZ Stadium."

A bookmaker yesterday opened a market on which code would attract the biggest crowd with AFL the favourite.

Sportsbet.com.au installed Friday night's Swans-Magpies match as $1.75 favourite with Souths-Bulldogs at $2.05.

"Despite the NRL being the outsider, Manly are playing away from home this weekend so the rugby league match pulling a bigger crowd than the AFL game cannot be discounted," said sportsbet.com.au's Ben Hawes.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m-finals-weekend/story-e6frexnr-1226476127878

jimmee007

Juniors
The hearld article stats that the AFL expect 20,000 ticket to be sold in the first day, not have been sold. Also the NRL sold 17,000 tickets by 4pm and 20,000 was expected to be sold in the first day.

Again just crap sensationalism by the telecrap.

abc

Juniors
I'm pretty sure there will be an AFL game on the night and it will be Hawthorn (not a mega club) and out of town Adelaide. Time to piss or get off the pot, Melbourne.

AFL Melbourne game is on Saturday. Also the only sporting team in Australia with more members than Hawthorn (60K) is Collingwood (72K). Adelaide while a non Victoria team also has 45K members. So if the avg sports fan decides to only spend money on one game this weekend as well, may detract from Storm - Manly game.

fanatique

Juniors

Proximity or lack of proximity to stations and roads etc is virtually irrelevant. I know that the issue is often raised to explain away poorish crowds but it is a red herring.

The people who attend will be the people who want to attend. Those who do not want to attend won't attend.

We are in 2 massively well connected and developed cities in the 21st century western world. No the Sahara.

Evenflow

Bench
About time someone commented on the likely crowd in Melbourne. Will it top the piddling 19000 achieved for the Melbourne-Souths game, in which Souths got nearly half the numbers?

lol half the numbers? Well if you call the 4 bays they didn't fill half then yeah you're right but you obviously weren't there so you have no clue. It was nowhere near half and would've been lucky to be a quarter. That said it was still a good Rabbits turn up and will be much more than what Manly bring this week.

Anyway it says in today's HS that almost 8k tickets were sold yesterday to members of the clubs with not surprisingly 95% being sold to Storm members.

Raiderdave

First Grade
how are we getting a pax of 31,000
when ticket sales are only 20,000 ?:sarcasm:

I know it can be a little out .. but 50% :eek:

also are the swines including 10K members ... in their 20K
its worded interestingly ... they've had a " good" response from members ?:?

since when have members had to indicate if they are attending or not ?

or is the NRL doing the same
but just not including them in ticket sales like the AFL are ?

jimmee007

Juniors
raiderdave, members have been asked if they would like allocated seating for the afl and the nrl it is turn up and find a seat in the members. So they(AFL) need a response from members and we dont(NRL).

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
FFs bulldog why print this shit.

The game has made your career mate

Show some respect, even of we were behind

Why wouldnt you just spin it into a win for us

They lie all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.