What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgsfan

Juniors
You do realize that was a sub-20k crowd on a Sunday arvo and 2 top 8 teams - a big worry if you ask me. If dogs can't get crowds with the season they are having god help them if they have a poor year!

A bad year? Do you mean when we averaged...

*18,000 when we came 12th in 2005 (2nd highest in Sydney)?
or
*15,000 when we got the spoon in 2008 (2nd highest in Sydney)?
or
*20,000 when we came 13th in 2010 (1st in Sydney)?
or
*18,000 when we missed the 8 in 2011 (1st in Sydney)?

RABK

Referee
Good work dogs

Canterbury and Brisbane are the only teams in the nrl who can guartenteed a crowd

Pretty much all other teams are relying on pot luck and form

Idiotic statement. Selling Newcastle very short. Knights fans continue to turn up more than any oher fanbase when they are playing shit. Canterbury fans are much more fickle.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Would you say Bulldogs are a bigger club in Sydney than Swans?

I wouldn't say the Bulldogs are the biggest out of the Sydney Rugby League clubs. Though that depends on the criteria you want to use. We do have the best group of supporters who get to games.

dgsfan

Juniors
Bulldogs' current average this year is 23,028 with 2 games remaining. We have to get 46,000 through the gates in our final 2 games (Tigers and Roosters) to average over 23,000, our highest ever. With hopefully 30,000 against the Tigers on Fridays, that should be a piece of cake.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Would you say Bulldogs are a bigger club in Sydney than Swans?

Absolutely no question about it and i don't understand how it's even a question. The swans are lucky to even come 4th in the ratings, something that would never happen even if the smallest team in Sydney was playing.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol:

I'm quite happy if we can EXCEED our membership total with our crowd average.

IllawarraGiant

Juniors
Guess it depends on how you define bigger

ha ha. well I have to admisre your optimism. What measurement /definitions would you care to use?

Crowds?, membership?, sponsorship?, turnover?, brand awareness?, media mentions? name 1 measure of 'big' that Collingwood are not the biggest in for any code anywhere in Australia by a massive margin?

I'd love for RL to be big, bigger and biggest, but being deluded about where we stand right now doesnt help. The Bulldogs are not even vaguely in the same scale. come on! The only club we have that could possibly be compared is Brisbane.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
All I was talking about was $$$ and Canterburys hospitality arm makes like $100m a year in revenue

In afl they count the 5 pubs that collingwood own in the football club revenue

I said if Canterbury was accounted for th same as collingwood it would be pretty close on revenue

Raiderdave

First Grade
Absolutely no question about it and i don't understand how it's even a question. The swans are lucky to even come 4th in the ratings, something that would never happen even if the smallest team in Sydney was playing.

the Swans would be way way down the list for most popular sporting club in Sydney
& the biggest indicator of this was last sat nite's mega hyped up... must see .. as big as a club game will get .. clash with Collingwood

more people were at the ground then watching on TV
the ground was only half full anyway which is a problem in itself
but only about 35K watched on gem in Sydney :eek:

a toyota cup game on pay attracts more veiwers
hardly anyone gave a stuff about the Swans biggest game in 6 years
this is a stark indicator.

the Bulldogs yesterday would have been watched by probably 350,000
sydneysiders & a lot of these are bulldog fans.

nuff said
the Swans support is wafer thin past reasonable crowds at games.
... TV ratings don't lie here

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The swans game v collingwood is the biggest game they have for NSW

Compare it to origin in Victoria this year,

We win on every metric

BunniesMan

Immortal
the Swans would be way way down the list for most popular sporting club in Sydney
& the biggest indicator of this was last sat nite's mega hyped up... must see .. as big as a club game will get .. clash with Collingwood

more people were at the ground then watching on TV
the ground was only half full anyway which is a problem in itself
but only about 35K watched on gem in Sydney :eek:

a toyota cup game on pay attracts more veiwers
hardly anyone gave a stuff about the Swans biggest game in 6 years
this is a stark indicator.

the Bulldogs yesterday would have been watched by probably 350,000
sydneysiders & a lot of these are bulldog fans.

nuff said
the Swans support is wafer thin past reasonable crowds at games.
... TV ratings don't lie here
When games are live simulcast, FTA ratings don't tell the full story.

The NRL will have the same issue next year.

Raiderdave

First Grade
When games are live simulcast, FTA ratings don't tell the full story.

The NRL will have the same issue next year.

rubbish
35K is an astoundingly low number for a game like this ... regardless of it being on pay too
I'd doubt many more then another 35K Sydneysiders watched the game on pay when you consider only 30% of sydneysiders have pay

no one in Sydney really gives a toss about the Swans & these figures prove it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With all that then how come they can get 50k to a top game on a rainy night yet our clubs struggle to get 20k for top of the table clashes in Sydney in similiar conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.