What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Round 23 update - full draw, results and crowds each round at http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=393936

Round 23 :: Aug 10-13
Friday 10 August
Rabbitohs 6 lost to Sea Eagles 23 @ Bluetongue (Crowd: 17,947), 7:45pm Ch 9 - thread
Storm 24 def Titans 16 @ AAMI (Crowd: 9,108), 7:45pm Ch 9 - thread
Saturday 11 August
Eels 36 def Roosters 22 @ Parramatta (Crowd: 12,193), 5:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Tigers 22 def Dragons 12 @ Allianz(Crowd: 10,546), 7:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Cowboys 52 def Warriors 12 @ Dairy Farmers (Crowd: 13,616), 7:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Sunday 12 August
Panthers 10 lost to Raiders 20 @ Centrebet (Crowd: 7,437), 2:00pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Bulldogs 22 def Broncos 14 @ ANZ (Crowd: 19,870), 3:00pm Ch 9 - thread
Monday 13 August
Knights 26 def Sharks 4 @ Hunter (Crowd: 15,394), 7:00pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Crowd total Round 23: 106,111
Crowd average Round 22: 13,264
Crowd total 2012 (168 games): 2,710,572
Crowd average 2012: 16,134

After 23 rounds/168 games in 2011: TOTAL 2,697,096 AVERAGE 16,054

After 23 rounds/168 games in 2012: TOTAL 2,713,573* AVERAGE 16,152*

Just double checking a big anomaly, some official places reporting 18,652 for CBY v NQL in Round 21, when the club and other media said 15,650.

We'll be almost across the line if the former is the correct figure.

Rubbish round for crowds. The tigers dragons is especially disgusting that two of the biggest sydney clubs just about nudge 10k tut tut

Clearly NRL crowds aren't to see a massive increase without a nudge from an intense marketing campaign of marquee fixtures and each round. Example being this friday for Bulldogs V Tigers, plenty of opportunities to get marginal fans excited with adverts like benji v barba, excitement machines etc.... its not that hard and would go a long way. Marketing budget for the NRL must increase 1000% after the media rights deal

penrith should be decducted points for that crowd

good chance the brisbane broncos will post sub 30k this week and then another in round 26

early in the season i really beleived we could get a 17k average but the attendances really do defy beleive at times, at this rate we will be back under 16k for the first time in 3-4 years :(

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I will be very surprised if the Dragons V Cowboys match draws over 10K. Monday night in Wollongong, Dragons season over, no cowboys fans.

It may well be the Dragons first sub 10K crowd in over 5 years.

mattyg

Bench
Bulldogs v Tigers 32k
Broncos v Storm 33k
Raiders v Roosters 14k
Sharks v Rabbitohs 16k
Titans v Eels 14k
Warriors v Panthers 8k
Eagles v Knights 16k
Dragons v Cowboys 11k

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Verified - CBY v NQL was indeed 15,650 - whatever was posted on NRL Stats was incorrect. post on prev page updated.

bobmar28

Bench
Not trying to be a smart arse, but what's the big deal with crowds? I go to my home games, but not away games in Sydney. Would rather watch those at my leagues club. Interstate games I watch on FOX of course. Just don't see the big deal about crowds. Could someone explain it to me please?

It looks lame on TV.

bobmar28

Bench
haha, must be why there is 50K under 5's at AFL games screaming "ball"! ;)

but seriously, cost isn't the biggest factor in crowds imo. It can make a difference to the casual fan but on the whole if a ticket is $20 or $25 makes little difference in decison making matrix imo.

Facilities, ease of access, experience. These are what matter.

What bullshit. This family of 5 would go to every home game if the entry price was $10. As it is we go about once or twice a year.

Last edited:

Western_Eel

Juniors
What bullshit. This family of 5 would go to every home game if the entry price was $10. As it is we go about once or twice a year.
I agree with Perth Red here - I dont to games anymore because it takes me 10mins to get a pie 15mins to get a beer and i have to stand in piss when i go to the restrooms

If they kept the place clean and had easy access to food and beer i would go more.

Kirky

Juniors
Marketing budget for the NRL must increase 1000% after the media rights deal

My concern going forward is that the new media deal will actually have a negative effect on crowds. Even if we use a large chunk of the $1.4 billion on promotion and ticket subsidies, the fact is that all games live in HD every round on TV (if the rumours are true) will have an impact on crowds.

The AFL has experienced a significant drop in crowds, and while HQ tries to convince everyone that it's just short term pain from the Suns and GWS, that doesn't explain the drop in crowds at games not involving those sides. If all games live in HD has that kind of impact on a game that

a) is allegedly much better to watch at the ground than on TV;
b) has generations of a strong attendance culture; and
c) some of the most accessible stadiums in the country

I have real concerns about the impact the new deal will have on NRL crowds (Don't get me wrong, it'll be fantastic for the game in all other areas such as grass roots development, expansion, club survival, etc).

Food for thought.

Raiderdave

First Grade
My concern going forward is that the new media deal will actually have a negative effect on crowds. Even if we use a large chunk of the $1.4 billion on promotion and ticket subsidies, the fact is that all games live in HD every round on TV (if the rumours are true) will have an impact on crowds.

The AFL has experienced a significant drop in crowds, and while HQ tries to convince everyone that it's just short term pain from the Suns and GWS, that doesn't explain the drop in crowds at games not involving those sides. If all games live in HD has that kind of impact on a game that

a) is allegedly much better to watch at the ground than on TV;
b) has generations of a strong attendance culture; and
c) some of the most accessible stadiums in the country

I have real concerns about the impact the new deal will have on NRL crowds (Don't get me wrong, it'll be fantastic for the game in all other areas such as grass roots development, expansion, club survival, etc).

Food for thought.

all games bar 1
are Live on TV ATM :?

it won't make an ounce of difference to crowds moving forward

Flapper

First Grade
GA

$20 Adult
$5 Concession
$40 Family

Mandatory across all clubs or no grant. It's hardly rocket surgery.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yep I would agree. Ticketed membership should be a 25% min reduction on those prices. Would need to be subsidised though, if you look at someone like the Panthers and the small amount of income they get from gate takings the last thing they would need would to be a further reduction. The crowds won't suddenly come flocking if you knock $7 off a ticket so there will be short term financial pain involved and I doubt clubs will wear it.

Kirky

Juniors
all games bar 1
are Live on TV ATM :?

it won't make an ounce of difference to crowds moving forward

The 2nd game on Friday is delayed, and the Sunday game is delayed. These are 2 of the biggest games of the week, and from next year (hopefully) they'll both be live.

Hopefully my concerns prove unfounded.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
So will this be a Friday night scenario

7.30 pm. Channel 10. Souths v easts
7.30 pm. FoxRL Souths v easts
7.30 pm. Fox sports 2. Broncos v Titans
9.30 pm. Channel 10 broncos v titans

Can you simulcast a delayed fta game ??

Perth Red

Post Whore
So will this be a Friday night scenario

7.30 pm. Channel 10. Souths v easts
9.30 pm. Channel 10 broncos v titans

Can you simulcast a delayed fta game ??

Could be

7.30 pm. Channel 10. Souths v easts (Digital broncos v titans)
9.30 pm. Channel 10 broncos v titans (Digital Souths v easts)

Kirky

Juniors
Could be

7.30 pm. Channel 10. Souths v easts (Digital broncos v titans)
9.30 pm. Channel 10 broncos v titans (Digital Souths v easts)

That set-up would be ideal. Not sure if 10 (or whoever) would dedicate 2 channels at the same time to the one demographic, but Nine did it for the Olympics with some success, so there's hope.

VictoryFC

Bench
GA

$20 Adult
$5 Concession
$40 Family

Mandatory across all clubs or no grant. It's hardly rocket surgery.

Problem solved. Oh wait, how are we going to convince stadium owners to slash rents to make anything close to what you're proposing not equal financial suicide? "Rocket surgery...." that explains your entire post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts