What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Less than most expected? Weren't some of the predictions mid to high 20s?

Bang on IMO. Tigers aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I think we get disappointed because we go to school work etc and 80% of people talk NRL etc...

then the weekend comes and wallabies get 75k and swans get 45k ...

Timmah

Staff member
That's right. Third highest ever crowd between the two clubs at ANZ, the other two were in 2005 (29,542) and 2006 (32,587).

I think we should be celebrating the fact that over 70,000 people attended NRL last night.

As for AFL and Rugby comparisons, FMD, heard of supply and demand?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I can't work this out...

Canterbury play Broncos at ANZ get 20,000 people... last week (<1000 away fans)

Tigers play Warriors at Liechardt, a month or so back get 19,000 (<under 1000 away fans)

So can we assume that at least 36-37 k people are fans/members who are active crowd going people.

So then they play each other, on a hyped up nice friday night and get 29k..

Where are the missing 8,000 people ???

Answer ? The NRL are crap at getting away fans to games.

Solution ? If you hold any kind of football club membership to any kind of club, that gets you into at least 1 game. You get automatic free entry to every single game at ANZ / SFS / AAMI Park / SUNCORP
Excluding (ANZAC day, Finals, SOO)

Every game, not when your team is on, just every single game you want to go to, you scan your card walk in...

Its simple, its easy, if we do this we grow numbers by 10% next year..........

Timmah

Staff member
The answer is that membership is an incentive to go to games - for the Tigers its not a membership game, so there's a big chunk gone.

There's still, unfortunately, still the ridiculous outdated stigma on Dogs fans.

I'd like to see the NRL agree with clubs to some sort of game-wide membership. I know a heap of people who attend a range of games for different clubs, up to 30-40 a season.

Why not have a tiered overall NRL membership program where fans can access any match up to a certain amount? I'd pay $500 for it tbh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh a Sydney membership option that gets you access to all your home games and any away game in Sydney would make sense. Not sure how they would work out the monetary value with other clubs/stadiums though.

jimmee007

Juniors
Last night the number of ANZ members seemed to be down, I know I would normally use our work tickets and sit in the members but someone else had taken them for the bledisloe. (so i bought a ticket with mates and sat GA). Also those with personal ANZ memberships who would probably only attend 1 sporting event in a weekend would go to the $200 per ticket game as opposed to the $40 ticket game.

If the Tigers Bulldogs game was the only game at ANZ this weekend you would have seen more members definatley.

Billythekid

First Grade
29k disappointing? That'll do me.

How do we consider a crowd 13k higher than the competition average to be disappointing?

Gonna have to spin better than that. What if a broncos vs titans match got 29K? That would be 13K above the crowd average, would that be a disappointment? Different matches have different expectations.

That's right. Third highest ever crowd between the two clubs at ANZ, the other two were in 2005 (29,542) and 2006 (32,587).

In how many of those meetings were the dogs easily leading the comp? The tigers are also in the 8 and finally seeing some form again. Not to mention the huge increase in memberships since those years.

I stand by my comment that the crowd is disappointing.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
I can't work this out...

Canterbury play Broncos at ANZ get 20,000 people... last week (<1000 away fans)

Tigers play Warriors at Liechardt, a month or so back get 19,000 (<under 1000 away fans)

So can we assume that at least 36-37 k people are fans/members who are active crowd going people.

So then they play each other, on a hyped up nice friday night and get 29k..

Where are the missing 8,000 people ???

Answer ? The NRL are crap at getting away fans to games.

Solution ? If you hold any kind of football club membership to any kind of club, that gets you into at least 1 game. You get automatic free entry to every single game at ANZ / SFS / AAMI Park / SUNCORP
Excluding (ANZAC day, Finals, SOO)

Every game, not when your team is on, just every single game you want to go to, you scan your card walk in...

Its simple, its easy, if we do this we grow numbers by 10% next year..........

I did the NRL members survey the other day that was sent to me via email. I mentioned similar things.

I mentioned that members should get a massive discount (at least 25%) to all away games and games they attend as a neutral.

However I also like your idea of free entry to members to ANZ and AAMI if it's not sold out. I mean why not? Those two stadiums are half empty most times anyway. And it gives non members an incentive to buy a membership because they are getting much more value out of it.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Gonna have to spin better than that. What if a broncos vs titans match got 29K? That would be 13K above the crowd average, would that be a disappointment? Different matches have different expectations.

In how many of those meetings were the dogs easily leading the comp? The tigers are also in the 8 and finally seeing some form again. Not to mention the huge increase in memberships since those years.

I stand by my comment that the crowd is disappointing.

I fully agree with you.

This game had so much going for it.

Big Sam

First Grade
Why not have a tiered overall NRL membership program where fans can access any match up to a certain amount? I'd pay $500 for it tbh.

Great idea. You'd only need to attend 8-10 games outside your club's home allocation to get your money back.

Given most Sydney clubs play 8-10 away games in Sydney, you'd virtually be paying $500 for a full season pass. Great value.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Great idea. You'd only need to attend 8-10 games outside your club's home allocation to get your money back.

Given most Sydney clubs play 8-10 away games in Sydney, you'd virtually be paying $500 for a full season pass. Great value.

Not having these kinds of things in place is what holds back NRL crowds and memberships to be honest. It seems like a no brainer.

The clubs need to realise that value for money is a massive driver for purchasing memberships. There are many people like myself that buy it to financially support the club, feel like a true and loyal fan etc, however a lot of people just want a cheap deal and to save some money.

I'd say you would see a 5-10% increase in crowds in a couple of seasons if this sort of thing was brought in.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Why is it left to the clubs to decide on reciprocal rights for members

Obviously they would rather not let 10000 away fans in for free when they can charge 500 die hard $28 ea

We not some sort of Independaent body with no club alliances to decide these kind of things

Oh wait

Status
Not open for further replies.