What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
Marketing research numbers.

The Raiders' problem is that they're not converting their support base into attendances. That's an internal problem, it has nothing to do with other codes.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Canberra has more fans of other teams than the local one, that's always been the problem.

Yes the Raiders have plenty of fans, but they need a decent team to watch.

docbrown

Coach
Canberra has more fans of other teams than the local one, that's always been the problem.

Yes the Raiders have plenty of fans, but they need a decent team to watch.

I'd say you could argue that they have a solid support base of about 190k and a bandwagon of another 100 to 150k (alot of those being those Canberra residents who support other league teams) - which although one of the smallest in the league - is still enough to get better crowds than what they're achieving.

If NRL clubs converted 10% of their solid support bases into members we wouldn't be having these conversations.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From the stats I have looked at a rise from a mid table team to a top 4 team barely increases attendances by 10-20%. You aren't going to be good every year so I think sitting with fingers crossed that one day you may be a contender and then crowds will flock is a bit of a stupid plan.

Reality is Brumbies are getting biggest crowds, Raiders a few thousand behind and GWS are now in town and competing for paying spectators (though probably not going to get much bigger than they are now imo)

Not sure how Raiders get that sustained avg up to towards the League avg but I am pretty sure waiting till they get a succesful team is not the way.

clarency

Juniors
They also have one of the ugliest jersey colours and a sh*thouse song that plays non stop at their games.

Surely isn't going to help.

Kirky

Juniors
Raiders are in danger of becoming the third team in town, needs something doing down there.

We'll never be anything less than first. GWS only play 3 games a year here, so while it's embarrasing to not crush them on those 3 weekends, the reality is that we're a local team here all year every year, and they're an out of town team drawing on support from Canberra's expat AFL fanbase. Our fans are locals that have been following the team for most (or in my case all) of their lives.

As to the Brumbies, in terms of general support we're much more popular than they are, but our respective crowds are very dependent on form. When they're firing their crowds pick up, when they suck their crowds drop, and the same goes for us. In 2010 in the week leading up to the final with the Tigers, the whole bloody town was wearing green. There was a buzz in every office and every coffee shop, it was the talk of the town. The potential support is there, but is being kept away by a combination of on-field inconsistent performance, and frustration with the way the club is run.

Kirky

Juniors
Reality is Brumbies are getting biggest crowds, Raiders a few thousand behind and GWS are now in town and competing for paying spectators (though probably not going to get much bigger than they are now imo)

TBH this isn't really the case. While i'm sure there are a few 'sport lovers' that follow both codes, the reality is that the AFL and NRL markets don't overlap much down here. Their supporters are people that have moved from Vic, SA, WA, NT and Tas for work in the public service, and ours are locals or people that have moved from NSW/QLD/NT (for the same reason). With the weather being what it is, there are no casual fence-sitting fans. If you go to a Raiders game or an AFL game in the bitter winter cold you do so because you're passionate about the sport. So while we are competing with the AFL from a purely competitive/perception perspective, we aren't really competing with them for the same pool of spectators.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd say you could argue that they have a solid support base of about 190k and a bandwagon of another 100 to 150k (alot of those being those Canberra residents who support other league teams) - which although one of the smallest in the league - is still enough to get better crowds than what they're achieving.

If NRL clubs converted 10% of their solid support bases into members we wouldn't be having these conversations.

Doc TV viewing figures would suggest different than the %'s you are thinking when you consider TV viewing numbers. ie if every club had figures up around that we would expect to see many more people tuning in to watch the game on TV wouldn't we? Do you know the break down for TV viewers in ACT?

Kirky

Juniors
They also have one of the ugliest jersey colours

ncqmpink.jpg

;-)

newman

First Grade
Regarding crowds at games like the Bulldogs Tigers on Friday night, the aim should definitely be to get some 40k+ attendances. The game ticked pretty much all of the boxes you would need for a really big crowd.

1. 2 well supported Sydney teams - tick
2. Both teams in the top 8 - tick
3. Both teams who can play attractive football - tick
4. Important game for both teams - tick
5. Decent weather - tick
6. Unused stadium capacity - tick

29k is okay, but there is a lot of upside potential in a game like this, compared to a game like Warriors vs Panthers. Even the Sharks vs Rabbits game ticked most boxes, but the ground capacity would limit any improvement to a couple thousand. With a bit of effort, media build-up over a week or two, 40k should have been possible for the Bulldogs vs Tigers.

To improve the season average, the NRL really needs to push the marketing for these games where the stars do align.

Very smart post. A lot more to be gained by pushing these big clashes at ANZ and getting big crowds in than a couple of extra thousand at Brookie and Shark Park (the big boy).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
epic wtf.

GA tickets $28 for Friday night's Canberra game.

No wonder people don't f**king go.

Kirky

Juniors
GA at MCG for AFL is $20...

At Etihad its $24....

Melbourne is a city of 3 million people, Canberra is a city of 350k. Things just cost more here. $28 for a ticket in Canberra is normal. No more or less expensive than what the other codes charge.

Frailty

First Grade
Melbourne is a city of 3 million people, Canberra is a city of 350k. Things just cost more here. $28 for a ticket in Canberra is normal. No more or less expensive than what the other codes charge.

My statement was in reference to Perth Red suggesting that $28 is the norm to watch a top live sport. I demonstrated that he is wrong.

It goes back to the fact that I can go to an AFL in Melbourne for $20, when to go to a Storm game I'm paying $29.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts