What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evenflow

Bench
Our ticket counting machine has been off all year

While i'm no expert, i find it very hard to believe that fixing the calibration of turnstiles would take more than a week or two and even that's probably being very generous, let alone a whole season. I mean how hard could it possibly be? If it really were a known problem all season then why isn't it fixed by now after all this time?

It seems to be a common theme emerging from a few NRL clubs and coincidentally from those that have had declining crowd numbers. A cynical person might say this is Manly's excuse for having smaller home crowds the season after they won the Premiership which there really is no excuse for......

M2D2

Bench
Youre right usually, but that manly game was an advocate of having a faulty machine whose capacity was UNDER what was actually there instead of the opposite.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think there is a responsibility on clubs expected by the NRL to announce accurate figures. Makes me smile that people seem to be able to count heads whilst watching tv and only seeing half the ground.

beave

Coach
I think there is a responsibility on clubs expected by the NRL to announce accurate figures. Makes me smile that people seem to be able to count heads whilst watching tv and only seeing half the ground.

I was shouted down for being a loony last year when I stated that our first 4 crowds in Tvl were wrong and after the 4th home game it was announced some of our crowd figures were inaccurate by up to 1500-2000k people at times (the turnstiles weren't recognising some season ticket holders as they were coming through and were being scanned in on a generic ticket). Now I don't know if something like this is happening at Brooky, but I have been to about 8 games there over the years and seen countless games on TV and that figure looked wrong, I know there is/was some construction in that north western corner but that area never really housed many people to start with so I am not it would effect the final figure all that much.

DIOGENES

Juniors
14,159 at Skilled, in case anyone is interested.
The round so far with 1 to go is about 135K unless my maths are wrong.
The equivalent completed round last year was 116K

14,159 at Skilled, in case anyone is interested.

As a related aside, we are now at the business end of the season and the Titans are tracking about 1k above the AFL team that has been implanted on the Coast. Given the tremendous publicity that the Titans have received this season (courtesy of Michael Searle and the GFC) it is good to see that they are seeing the Suns off. Hopefully the gap between the two widens next season.

DC_fan

Coach

Clubs announce accurate crowds! That will be the day.

dogz08

First Grade
Eagles v Broncos 14k
Raiders v Bulldogs 15k
Panthers v Titans 10k
Dragons v Warriors 11k
Cowboys v Knights 18k
Roosters v Tigers 15k
Rabbitohs v Eels 20k
Storm v Sharks 15k

Panfas

Juniors
Eagles v Broncos 14k
Raiders v Bulldogs 17k
Panthers v Titans 7k
Dragons v Warriors 11k
Cowboys v Knights 19k
Roosters v Tigers 14k
Rabbitohs v Eels 24k
Storm v Sharks 13k

ceagle

Bench
While i'm no expert, i find it very hard to believe that fixing the calibration of turnstiles would take more than a week or two and even that's probably being very generous, let alone a whole season. I mean how hard could it possibly be? If it really were a known problem all season then why isn't it fixed by now after all this time?

It seems to be a common theme emerging from a few NRL clubs and coincidentally from those that have had declining crowd numbers. A cynical person might say this is Manly's excuse for having smaller home crowds the season after they won the Premiership which there really is no excuse for......
It has been happening all year. There was definitely more the 14k down at Brookie yesterday. They have been under quoting crowds all year, when they said we only had 17k at the Dogs game back in July I couldn't believe it, the crowd felt bigger then the Storm game back in 2011 where we drew 20k.

It's either we use to count wrong in the past before or we are trying to save on tax this year.

Valheru

Coach

Yeah I don?t get this either. Why on Earth would Manly advertise 3k less than what they got

Some people on here are just desperate to have bigger crowds than the AFL and RU and can?t accept it when the crowd doesn?t meet their expectations.

On many occasions I have been of the opinion a certain crowd looked smaller or bigger than was announced but other than the Titans who were proven to fake a couple of figures last year I have no reason to doubt any crowd announced.

juro

Bench
Regarding crowds at games like the Bulldogs Tigers on Friday night, the aim should definitely be to get some 40k+ attendances. The game ticked pretty much all of the boxes you would need for a really big crowd.

1. 2 well supported Sydney teams - tick
2. Both teams in the top 8 - tick
3. Both teams who can play attractive football - tick
4. Important game for both teams - tick
5. Decent weather - tick
6. Unused stadium capacity - tick

29k is okay, but there is a lot of upside potential in a game like this, compared to a game like Warriors vs Panthers. Even the Sharks vs Rabbits game ticked most boxes, but the ground capacity would limit any improvement to a couple thousand. With a bit of effort, media build-up over a week or two, 40k should have been possible for the Bulldogs vs Tigers.

To improve the season average, the NRL really needs to push the marketing for these games where the stars do align.

Kirky

Juniors
As a related aside, we are now at the business end of the season and the Titans are tracking about 1k above the AFL team that has been implanted on the Coast. Given the tremendous publicity that the Titans have received this season (courtesy of Michael Searle and the GFC) it is good to see that they are seeing the Suns off. Hopefully the gap between the two widens next season.

For the difference in crowds between an NRL hearland club and a soul-less AFL expansion club to be only 1k people isn't a win for us. Likewise for my team outdrawing GWS by only 1k. We should be absoluteley crushing them in these heartland markets and we're not.

However I agree with you that Searle was likely a major reason for crowds staying away from Titans games, so hopefully with him more or less out of the way crowds will return to what they were a few years ago. I'm less confident about my own team's crowds going forward. Those of us frustrated by the 'powers that be' at the Raiders are likely to remain frustrated for some time.

docbrown

Coach
Raiders are in danger of becoming the third team in town, needs something doing down there.

Pure hyperbole.

I've seen the polling numbers for sport in Canberra and rugby league is always number one.

If you expect some contrived Sydney AFL club with highly questionable crowd numbers to overthrow either the Brumbies or Raiders then you're mistaken.

Yes the Raiders support numbers had dropped off from 2001-2008 but that's more due to a lack of success than anything else. Since then they've gone up each year and the Raiders polling numbers are higher than the Brumbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts