What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiderdave

First Grade
There weren't that many people sitting at the northern/southern ends of the ground

sthn end behind the goal posts only.. was sparse
rest of the lower bowl was reasonably well populated & the 2nd & 3rd levels on both sides too were well patronised
even the top tier on the eastern side had 3 or 4K in it

46,000 looked about right

t-ba

Post Whore
Using Timmah stats (as opposed to Paul Stats), it's 3,149,790. 137 short of the record lulz...

pcpp

Juniors
This year should easily beat the total average record especially with the excellent prospects for Bulldogs and Souths in the preliminary finals and a possible 50k in Week 1.

2005 finals series was dragged down by 16k for North QLD v Melbourne in Sydney, only 25k for Brisbane v Melbourne, and 20k for two all Sydney first week finals that could probably have got 30-40k at the bigger stadium.

t-ba

Post Whore
This is what I got.

Last timmah total: 3,075,643
Eels v Dragons: 45,863 (3,121,506)
Warriors v Raiders: 11,455 (3,132,961)
Sharks v Cowboys: 16,829 (3,149,790)

Maybe I've buggered one of the crowds up or Windows Calculator is geniused.

Teddyboy

First Grade
The best of both world's today with 16000 at a Suburban ground and 40000 plus at a major modern ground....Be good if the IC

Teddyboy

First Grade
Thats what League should be like with 16000 at a Suburban Ground and 40000 plus at a big modern ground...hope the IC can make this sort of crowds a weekly thing.

undertaker

Coach
This year should easily beat the total average record especially with the excellent prospects for Bulldogs and Souths in the preliminary finals and a possible 50k in Week 1.

2005 finals series was dragged down by 16k for North QLD v Melbourne in Sydney, only 25k for Brisbane v Melbourne, and 20k for two all Sydney first week finals that could probably have got 30-40k at the bigger stadium.

I remember that pathetic debacle during 1999-2006 finals which meant that the stadium venues were locked in for weeks 2 (SFS) and 3 (1st PF at SFS, 2nd PF at Homebush). One of a multitude of blunders the NRL was allowed to get away with. Only some rare leniency from the SCG trust allowed the Cowboys/Broncos 2004 SF to be played at Townsville. Thank God they extended home ground advantage to weeks 2 and 3 in 2007 (but still not quite good enough, as Skeepe mentioned with the situation involving Canberra and Newcastle). It just makes me realise how Sydneycentric the comp was and how much of an advantage Sydney teams have had for all of those years during the final series. Glad they eliminated that.

That was an absolute disgrace that Dragons/Tigers PF match couldn't be moved from the SFS. I know it was a fantastic atmosphere when the SFS sold out, but given all the hype and publicity that match got, it would've gone awfully close to a sellout at Homebush. Sucks for the multitude of fans who couldn't get a ticket.

Last edited:

azza29

Juniors

Red herring - remind me why Cowboys/Storm played their final in Sydney? I don't remember...

pcpp

Juniors
Red herring - remind me why Cowboys/Storm played their final in Sydney? I don't remember...

All Week 2 finals were locked in at the SFS due to a 10 year contract signed at the formation of the NRL I believe. The Week 3 finals were also locked in - I think it was 1 at SFS and 1 at Stadium Australia.

beave

Coach
And this story about Brisbane being nice and taking their 'home' semi to Townsville in 2004 is bullshit, that game was meant to be played in Sydney which would have drawn a crowd of 368 people. The SCG trust agreed to let the game go so Suncorp was the next venue but it was out of the running because the QLD cup GF was on the same day at suncorp and was a logistical nightmare in kicking out the ABC cameras, corporate etc etc, so Dairy Farmers was then the next venue up and had to be agreed upon by the Broncos to play here. Thanks to their record up here prior to that, I don't think they really feared us up here so agreed to come up (which I give them massive kudos for) but reading in various forums that the Broncos were nice in bringing their home game up here in 2004 is total BS.

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Hope Tim Tam doesn't choke on that 45,000 for the wooden spooners, eels support >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bullfrogs :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.