What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billythekid

First Grade
Pretty poor.

I like how 15K for the cowboys against a Sydney team is considered poor. Then when the cowboys play in Sydney anything above 10K seems to be a success almost.

It's interesting to look at some of the old crowds nq used to get at the willows

Un believable numbers back in the day 24k was the norm

What happened up there ??

24K was never the norm (and i don't see why that should be expected). This has been covered so many times in this thread but there have been many factors that caused a decrease in crowds. They are starting to rise again and they aren't doing that badly anyway.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
hey everybody, no prick in their right mind is going to build a 60k rectangular stadium within a 500km radius of ANZ.

We f**ked up the olympic negotiations, we let the AFL bribe bob carr to keep it an oval after the games.

The NRL if they had a f**king clue could of taken control of the ANZ stadium on a management deal from 2001, and redeveloped it with a roof with a capacity of 70000..

And it would of been awesome....

If done correctly the NRL could of owned the whole thing by 2040 and made a massive NRL district right in the heartland....

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Lol, I was talking about the ideal size of a new Sydney stadium not the decent crowd at tonight's game you fu*^wit!

Also Jason, remember the massive crowds the Reds got when they were shit?

:lol::lol::lol:

Quick, boot the eels for the Reds eh :crazy:

f**kwit.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
hey everybody, no prick in their right mind is going to build a 60k rectangular stadium within a 500km radius of ANZ.

We f**ked up the olympic negotiations, we let the AFL bribe bob carr to keep it an oval after the games.

The NRL if they had a f**king clue could of taken control of the ANZ stadium on a management deal from 2001, and redeveloped it with a roof with a capacity of 70000..

Yeah but the pom expert thinks a decent stadium in the west of sydney would be a waste of time, yet a big stadium for a non existent team is needed :lol:

BDR

First Grade
It's interesting to look at some of the old crowds nq used to get at the willows

Un believable numbers back in the day 24k was the norm

What happened up there ??

A couple of things, first of all the ground really is in a pretty shocking state of repair. It's just dirty, no cover (in what can be torrid weather) outdated design, just a shit stadium IMO.

Secondly and most importantly, Stadiums Queensland has assumed control of the operations. This means the old community-run food stalls are replaced with bland, EXPENSIVE shit that nobody likes. The local footy clubs who used to sell a steak burger and pie on game day have got the arse and it ruffled a lot of feathers in the local community. The game day atmosphere has been killed by these guys, they stop families bringing food into the stadium and they act as fun police on the hills. We used to have a live band playing in a box under the scoreboard which was always a lot of fun, that got removed to install more empty seats. Game day entertainment and announcing are shit as, they constantly play stupid music while the game is playing and don't do anything to get the crowd involved (in our heyday we used to get the Mexican wave going pre-game every time).

These might seem like minor quibbles but the sum of them together mean that a LOT of people aren't interested in taking the family along to the footy anymore. We draw a lot of support from outside Townsville and people aren't willing to make the drive in from Charters Towers or up from the Burdekin to go to the games anymore, mostly because of this mob.

Also a lot of people got disillusioned with the club in the period around 2008 when we sacked Graham Murray and we had a couple ordinary seasons on the trot. I could go on more but I think you get the point and I've ranted enough for one night.

Billythekid

First Grade
That's all ignoring the natural disasters that have hit the region. Just on your post though when the hell is someone going to stand up to stadiums queensland? I'm surprised the government and sporting codes haven't tried to do something about it.

BDR

First Grade
The Government can't do anything because they are a statutory body, so the Gov can't touch them. As for the sports codes I think they have too much to lose. Without the stadium they don't have a product.

Also to be fair I think my complaints up there RE the match day entertainment have more to do with the Cowboys than Stadiums Queensland.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Just on crowds, can we make it a rule that if you wear trackies and/or a jumper under your jersey, you are banned for life from the footy? Might just weed out some of the dicks that attend some games.

BunniesMan

Immortal

If done correctly the NRL could of owned the whole thing by 2040 and made a massive NRL district right in the heartland....
That's basically what the AFL has done with Etihad.

It would have taken an element of strategic initiative and big picture thinking. Sif the NRL was capable of that, especially in the shadow of the 95-00 era.

Goddo

Bench

Yeah, but we would have had to have done those negotiations in 1998-2000 period, and if you remember we were fked from Super League at the time.

beave

Coach
15.5k is pretty good for us on a Friday, a lot of out of towners wouldn't have been able to make it last night.

Pretty poor.

Derp f**king homo townsville fans
Once more for the mentally challenged .

Fri nights are not good crowd wise for Cowboys games .
Many fans/members have to travel anywhere from 6-14 hrs to get to Tville.
& it is just not possible with work & family committments on a Fri.

Hence why the Cows ask for Sat night games ,so their fan base can make it there.
Derp Moffo.
Stick to what you know ..Financial news :lol::lol:

DC_fan

Coach

Hence why the Cows ask for Sat night games ,so their fan base can make it there.
Derp Moffo.

Have to agree with you. While playing on Saturday nights keeps the Cowboys off FTA coverage it is the best time for them to play.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Derp Moffo.

Out of interest is there any market research stats on how many of the NQ crowd do actually travel from more than a 1-2 hour radius? I would think it would be a small % but it would be interesting to know what it is. We hear a lot about this big travelling and I wonder how many people actually do travel that far every other week?

BDR

First Grade
I know you're after statistical data and I don't have any, but when I was a season ticket holder (don't live in NQ anymore so I'm not one any more unfortunately) I had a family of 4 on my right who drove in from Hughenden every weekend. That's probably 4 hours drive on a good day. The couple on my left who I actually became good friends with were retirees who live about 5 hours south in Mackay but follow the Cowboys every single match home and away, including NZ and Melbourne.

Ran into the old fella down here at Suncorp in round 2 they flew over to Perth for the pre-season fixture too. There's a core base of 10000 members and IMO they are some of the most dedicated fans in the NRL.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Obviously I'm against any team being kicked out now, but I don't understand how Townsville had the population base to support a team in 1995.

Status
Not open for further replies.