What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

applesauce

Bench
Because in 1995 RL was booming.

The Reds averaged about 20k in AFL mad Perth before the mining boom and a population even close to 1.8mill.

The Broncos were averaging 45k at the 'oval' that is ANZ stadium (original). Compared to the luxury and viewing experience Suncorp is where they average 35k. While a 2nd Brisbane team was around the corner with 20k average. That alone in itself should spell out the impact of SuperLeague.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well would be a surprise but ready made for CQ, CC, WA Reds and Sth Q'land Jets to eneter in 2015! Of course the game is no longer that brave but would be interesting!

CheersBDR, hats off to anyone that committed to a club!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Well would be a surprise but ready made for CQ, CC, WA Reds and Sth Q'land Jets to eneter in 2015! Of course the game is no longer that brave but would be interesting!

CheersBDR, hats off to anyone that committed to a club!

How did it work at the time? Did they announce the year before that 4 new teams where coming in or was there a couple of years lead up?

Honestly any of the current bids could be legitimately given a spot. But it will be an interesting shit fight in the lead up to the announcement

Looks like decent weather in auckland today. Should see a decent crowd, hopefully 18-20k

docbrown

Coach
I know you're after statistical data and I don't have any, but when I was a season ticket holder (don't live in NQ anymore so I'm not one any more unfortunately) I had a family of 4 on my right who drove in from Hughenden every weekend. That's probably 4 hours drive on a good day. The couple on my left who I actually became good friends with were retirees who live about 5 hours south in Mackay but follow the Cowboys every single match home and away, including NZ and Melbourne.

Ran into the old fella down here at Suncorp in round 2 they flew over to Perth for the pre-season fixture too. There's a core base of 10000 members and IMO they are some of the most dedicated fans in the NRL.

They sound like the most loyal fans in the league. I doff my hat.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How did it work at the time? Did they announce the year before that 4 new teams where coming in or was there a couple of years lead up?

Honestly any of the current bids could be legitimately given a spot. But it will be an interesting shit fight in the lead up to the announcement

I think it was announced around mid 1992 that the 4 clubs were going to be admitted for the 1995 season

nqboy

First Grade
15,006 at Nth Qld

It's interesting to look at some of the old crowds nq used to get at the willows

Un believable numbers back in the day 24k was the norm

What happened up there ??

I like how 15K for the cowboys against a Sydney team is considered poor. Then when the cowboys play in Sydney anything above 10K seems to be a success almost.

24K was never the norm (and i don't see why that should be expected). This has been covered so many times in this thread but there have been many factors that caused a decrease in crowds. They are starting to rise again and they aren't doing that badly anyway.

A couple of things, first of all the ground really is in a pretty shocking state of repair. It's just dirty, no cover (in what can be torrid weather) outdated design, just a shit stadium IMO.

Secondly and most importantly, Stadiums Queensland has assumed control of the operations. This means the old community-run food stalls are replaced with bland, EXPENSIVE shit that nobody likes. The local footy clubs who used to sell a steak burger and pie on game day have got the arse and it ruffled a lot of feathers in the local community. The game day atmosphere has been killed by these guys, they stop families bringing food into the stadium and they act as fun police on the hills. We used to have a live band playing in a box under the scoreboard which was always a lot of fun, that got removed to install more empty seats. Game day entertainment and announcing are shit as, they constantly play stupid music while the game is playing and don't do anything to get the crowd involved (in our heyday we used to get the Mexican wave going pre-game every time).

These might seem like minor quibbles but the sum of them together mean that a LOT of people aren't interested in taking the family along to the footy anymore. We draw a lot of support from outside Townsville and people aren't willing to make the drive in from Charters Towers or up from the Burdekin to go to the games anymore, mostly because of this mob.

Also a lot of people got disillusioned with the club in the period around 2008 when we sacked Graham Murray and we had a couple ordinary seasons on the trot. I could go on more but I think you get the point and I've ranted enough for one night.
And our hot and cold form this year. Never know whether the Cowboys or the cowGIRLS will turn up.

That's all ignoring the natural disasters that have hit the region.

Also to be fair I think my complaints up there RE the match day entertainment have more to do with the Cowboys than Stadiums Queensland.

15.5k is pretty good for us on a Friday, a lot of out of towners wouldn't have been able to make it last night.
I forgot about that last night. Someone in the crowd raised the long weekend but it's not as if the WHOLE of NQ went camping.

I think there's a fair element of disenchantment with the management of the club. It's all about the dollars these days, despite their claims to be a community club. Then there was the Robert Lui debacle, that created a fair backlash against the club management.

I'd also raise the Live FTA point. Our fans travel further to home games than any other club, it lessens the incentive if you can sit at home and watch it live on FTA, paying $2 a cold stubby rather than $5-6 ($7? I dont know, I wasn't about to pay it) for a plastic cup of watered down beer and much better and cheaper F&B.

So there's a whole lot of factors at work.

BTW, great crowd Eels/Dogs given the Eels are rubbish atm.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
28,214 was phenomenal given the fact that the clubs had won 2 of their last 8 collective matches. Had either side been in any sort of form, could've been anywhere up to 37-38k.

I'll be interested to see how the Double Header crowd goes next week. If it doesn't crack 40k they either need to abandon the concept or move it to a Sunday arvo or evening, give it the time and space it deserves.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
28,214 was phenomenal given the fact that the clubs had won 2 of their last 8 collective matches. Had either side been in any sort of form, could've been anywhere up to 37-38k.

I'll be interested to see how the Double Header crowd goes next week. If it doesn't crack 40k they either need to abandon the concept or move it to a Sunday arvo or evening, give it the time and space it deserves.

Sales for the double header look quite poor, but better than last year. I would love a double header on a sunday with early kick off.

dogslife

Coach
I've been to all the double headers, but agree it would be much better on Sunday with a 2pm kickoff for the first game. I believe the first game started at 6.30ish last year which makes it nigh on impossible for a lot of people to get home from work and make it to the game in time

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I've been to all the double headers, but agree it would be much better on Sunday with a 2pm kickoff for the first game. I believe the first game started at 6.30ish last year which makes it nigh on impossible for a lot of people to get home from work and make it to the game in time

Yeah same, how shit house was last year.. The year before against penrith was a bit better 7pm but still not good.. 42,223 dropped to 32k for the sake of half an hour haha.

Fox sports saying 19k pre sold for Auckland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts