What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Logically rationalising sydney probably makes sense. BUT from an emotional and historical point of view it doesn't. IMO sport is built on emotion and tradition so i think unless a sydney club is beyond financial repair and chooses to relocate/partial relocation/merger then the governing body should NOT force them to do so.

I would like to see some of the clubs make a permanent base of another market such as Hawthorn and North melbourne are doing in Tasmania with local backing and funding. Even st. kilda are planning to play a number of games per season in wellington of all places by 2014!

Adelaide, Central Coast (if the bears fail to get a licence), Darwin could all be candidates for a struggling club to boost its finances while removing smaller drawing games from the sydney basin and assisting in spreading the gospel

Logically rationalising sydney probably makes sense. BUT from an emotional and historical point of view it doesn't. IMO sport is built on emotion and tradition so i think unless a sydney club is beyond financial repair and chooses to relocate/partial relocation/merger then the governing body should NOT force them to do so.

I would like to see some of the clubs make a permanent base of another market such as Hawthorn and North melbourne are doing in Tasmania with local backing and funding. Even st. kilda are planning to play a number of games per season in wellington of all places by 2014!

Adelaide, Central Coast (if the bears fail to get a licence), Darwin could all be candidates for a struggling club to boost its finances while removing smaller drawing games from the sydney basin and assisting in spreading the gospel

+1

Except cronulla...f**k em off

DIOGENES

Juniors
Agree completely. The complication arises when clubs in difficulty look to the IC for support - how much if any support should established clubs be given?
Another potential partial relocation is the Titans and PNG

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Ticket sales for double header are all of a sudden looking really good.. Not too far from cat white being sold up the top.

Ill buy soonish and update pax. I doubt any titans fans will make the trip up.

docbrown

Coach

Pretty sure I suggested that for the Roosters & Cronulla...

Pretty sure it involved Cronulla in Christchurch/Dunedin with 10 games and still getting 7 Cronulla home games. Pretty sure it meant Cronulla could get first claims over corporate, fan and grassroots player support on the South Island.

Pretty sure it involved Roosters in Wellington with 10 games and still getting 7 SFS home games (big games against teams like Broncos, Souths, Dragons, Tigers, Bulldogs etc). Pretty sure it involved Roosters getting a North Island base (below Auckland) with a 1,000,000+ population and first chance at all their corporate, fan and grassroots player support.

Pretty sure Roosters & Sharks fans had a good old whinge.

Pretty sure some of the complaints said that they didn't want to share the team with a bunch of Kiwis. Pretty sure some said that having an 'International' club was a bad thing. Pretty sure a few said that they'd have too many home games (despite having to do just as much travelling as other teams). Pretty sure others couldn't get around the "1 extra round" mathematics.

Oh well :cool:

I still maintain that would be a better idea than merging or full relocating teams.

Pretty sure anyway... :p

Frailty

First Grade
Should be a good crowd for the Sharks-Melbourne game...

ET Upper and Lower sold out, Peter Burns and Southern Stands almost sold out, and Eastern Concourse selling fast apparently.

Sunday arvo in Cronulla for what will be the game of the round.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Should be a good crowd for the Sharks-Melbourne game...

ET Upper and Lower sold out, Peter Burns and Southern Stands almost sold out, and Eastern Concourse selling fast apparently.

Sunday arvo in Cronulla for what will be the game of the round.

Everyone loves sunday footy!

Annoying how gus and rabs wax lyrical about it every week and how there should be more when its there network who are partly responsible for it not being the case.

Pretty sure I suggested that for the Roosters & Cronulla...

Pretty sure it involved Cronulla in Christchurch/Dunedin with 10 games and still getting 7 Cronulla home games. Pretty sure it meant Cronulla could get first claims over corporate, fan and grassroots player support on the South Island.

Pretty sure it involved Roosters in Wellington with 10 games and still getting 7 SFS home games (big games against teams like Broncos, Souths, Dragons, Tigers, Bulldogs etc). Pretty sure it involved Roosters getting a North Island base (below Auckland) with a 1,000,000+ population and first chance at all their corporate, fan and grassroots player support.

Pretty sure Roosters & Sharks fans had a good old whinge.

Pretty sure some of the complaints said that they didn't want to share the team with a bunch of Kiwis. Pretty sure some said that having an 'International' club was a bad thing. Pretty sure a few said that they'd have too many home games (despite having to do just as much travelling as other teams). Pretty sure others couldn't get around the "1 extra round" mathematics.

Oh well :cool:

I still maintain that would be a better idea than merging or full relocating teams.

Pretty sure anyway... :p

I think your case above is just too much and is relocation in all but name. 4 games in another market would be all i could take without whinging. Ideally 3 though.

docbrown

Coach
I think your case above is just too much and is relocation in all but name. 4 games in another market would be all i could take without whinging. Ideally 3 though.

So you're okay with 9 home games but 7 is too few. You do realise though that if Rabbitohs moved back to SFS & the Anzac Day game were to be played at the SFS you could potentially buy a 9 game SFS membership.

I will suggest though that anywhere the Roosters go for these 3 games they will have to go somewhere else eventually (as that city will someday get their own team in time).

What will the Roosters be doing for that area? I only support teams like Rabbitohs etc going to Perth if they're also getting local organisations involved and trying to get grassroots rugby league support.

If it's solely about lining the Roosters coffers, then no.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Two very good games coming up this weekend - Broncos/Manly and Sharks/Storm.

Should be a cracker.

taipan

Referee
The code needs a fixed season schedule.My wife asks me when are the Sharks playing on such and such a date end July.I haven't a flipping clue.I am still a member however,such is my devotion.
There are people out there who will not commit,to memberships as they need certainty so they can plan ahead.
Having an extra game ,via expansion,gives more opportunities for sunday afternoon games.
The stats speak for themselves.Biggest crowds
Anzac Day.afternoon-family friendly
Club games sunday afternoon.
saturday night 7-30 more popular
friday nights popular but fewer familes,mainly involves Brisbane.
then saturday 5-30pm kids just finished sport,bit too early
Monday night worst night for crowds,therefore new deal must well compensate club involved.

i am still a firm believer in a twilight game say 5-30pm on sunday night-excellent Tv ratings IMO and decent crowds.

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
The code needs a fixed season schedule.My wife asks me when are the Sharks playing on such and such a date end July.I haven't a flipping clue.I am still a member however,such is my devotion.
There are people out there who will not commit,to memberships as they need certainty so they can plan ahead.
Having an extra game ,via expansion,gives more opportunities for sunday afternoon games.
The stats speak for themselves.Biggest crowds
Anzac Day.afternoon-family friendly
Club games sunday afternoon.
saturday night 7-30 more popular
friday nights popular but fewer familes,mainly involves Brisbane.
then saturday 5-30pm kids just finished sport,bit too early
Monday night worst night for crowds,therefore new deal must well compensate club involved.

i am still a firm believer in a twilight game say 5-30pm on sunday night-excellent Tv ratings IMO and decent crowds.

Good points and one point I can not get my head round is saturday afternoon games when so many kids and adults are playing sport.

BDR

First Grade
Would people really leave during the 2nd game? This will be my first time at a double header but I have a hard time believing people will leave during a live NRL game, even if it doesn't involve their team. Maybe I have different expectations because I'm a neutral not a Drongos fan.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Would people really leave during the 2nd game? This will be my first time at a double header but I have a hard time believing people will leave during a live NRL game, even if it doesn't involve their team. Maybe I have different expectations because I'm a neutral not a Drongos fan.

Depends if the game looks interesting. If it starts out as a drop ball fest, then you tend to think, I'll catch this at home on the TV and beat the traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts