What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I live in Melbourne, and am saturated with AFL (and I am a casual follower) - no one gives a shit about GWS, let alone their ground. It's not a shit ground for AFL, but definitely was for NRL.

Besides this, 11,000 for the opening of a ground is pretty pathetic. Titans got 27k for their first game at Skilled.
And I follow AFL. I didn't say anyone gave a shit about GWS. Most people, AFL fans included, hate them. I was talking about the stadium specifically. Everyone that has said anything about it says it's a good stadium.

And ofcourse the ground would be shit for NRL, round fields usually are.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
And I follow AFL. I didn't say anyone gave a shit about GWS. Most people, AFL fans included, hate them. I was talking about the stadium specifically. Everyone that has said anything about it says it's a good stadium.

And ofcourse the ground would be shit for NRL, round fields usually are.

Explains a lot.

Loudstrat

Coach
11k - using the Politis method of home crowd accountancy no doubt. Plus $300k worth of free tickets courtesy of Wagga council. :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why would the absence of a Cronulla player discourage a Bulldogs fan from attending? If anything, it would improve your team's chances of winning and therefore giving you greater incentive to turn up. I'll remember to use that an excuse the next time the Tigers host an opposition missing a few players.

I never disputed that the Bulldogs were the highest drawing club in Sydney. You've held that mantle for the last four years. I was only pointing out the illogicality of your comparison between the Souths v Canberra crowd and the Bulldogs v Cronulla crowd.

BTW as a side point, have the Bulldogs managed any decent crowds against Canberra over the years apart from the 16k you drew last year? How about the Dragons? From memory the Tigers have had 4 x ~18k crowds against Canberra but the scheduling of the games at our traditional home venues has helped in that regard.
Not sure where you got the Bulldogs fan thing from in your first paragraph, I was referring to the Carney/Gallen absence resulting in a decrease of AWAY fans (i.e. SHARKS fans).

As for Canberra, haven't most of the games you've hosted against them been at Campbelltown? In which case, you're their closest neighbour and it's much easier for away teams to attend...?

We got 38k to the Souths-Dogs game earlier in the year. I reckon it'll be around there this time.

Seeing as Souths members get in for free the Rabbitoh army will be out in force.

Even I will be at the game.

Winning this match would go a long way to making round 16 against the Broncos be "the battle for 2nd place" because after the Dogs game we have 4 certain ponts (bye, eels).

Lots of Souths fans will be there next week to sing Glory Glory To South Sydney as all the Dogs fans have a cry and leave our house.

I estimate 37k.

Two issues here.

1. It won't get anywhere near the 35k that attended the last match. It's a cold June Saturday night and it doesn't have the benefit of Good Friday.

2. Our house? If Souffs have to play at ANZ that's fine - but we've been playing there since 1999 (minus one or two years around 2001-2002 I think)... it's been "our house" for a long long time. But have fun claiming a ground in WESTERN Sydney as part of SOUTH Sydney territory :lol:

Yes, that's why I predicted a similar crowd to the earlier game. Just in reverse proportions.

I reckon at the 1st Souths-Dogs game (I was there) it was 23k Souths fans, 15k Dogs fans.

15k Souths will come to the game on Saturday.

For going to the game I'd say our fixtures against the Dogs have become our #1 game in terms of importance, even ahead of Easts/Dragons/Tigers. Because unlike against those teams, being in the big stadium and with reciprocal member rights 30k+ is becoming the norm.

Noone is bagging Bulldogs crowds. Noone is arguing they are the best in sydney. We're bagging one particular Bulldogs fan for comparing apples and oranges and having a shit attitude towards other teams crowds.

:lol:
I'll pay that. Even I lold.
The thing is, as a fan who turns up to every Bulldogs home game (and all away NSW games), I reckon I've earned the right to bag the crowds of your club. Yeah, the odd game here or there we don't draw brilliant crowds - Monday an example - but we've shown consistently, despite only one good season in the last five, that we know how to put bums on seats.
Only took the dogs 15/20 years to average 20k after Parramatta first done it ;-)
Difference being you haven't averaged 15k since. We're now doing it in consecutive seasons.
without being negative just reporting the facts

Most famous team in RL one game in Sydney, local rival, - 12k
GWS no one knows them in a shitty showground - 11k

We either need to sign up their marketing team, or worry

Without being negative? LOL

Try:
"out of form team with big injury list vs dead last" - 12k
VS "new AFL club opening their newly renovated home ground" - 11k.

Just sayin.

mattyg

Bench
I thought the official crowd was 38k. I just had a look again and see that it was 35k. In that case it was 19k Souths and 16k Dogs.

There was more of us, I was there, I had a good look around, there was more of us.

:lol: you make me laugh..

first you say 23k to 15k then when you check the actual crowd it goes to 19k to 16k? How did we pick up an extra 1000 people when the crowd was less? I was at the game too and while both sides of the ground were members (mainly souths fans), they hold far less people than the ends which were absolutely packed with bulldogs fans. I'd say it was about 20k to 15k in the Dogs favour.

In saying that, f**king stupid arguing about this, both teams can pull a good crowd and provided we win this week as well we should be looking at 40k next weekend. Not too confident though with Origin and a cold Saturday Night. Maybe if it was on a Sunday arvo..

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
This whole '12K between 2 Sydney teams' doesn't really take into account that most clubs (besides the Dogs and Dragons) fans don't travel. There would have been less than 100 Parra fans at Kogarah tonight.

As with most NRL matches, home fans will always make up 95% of the crowd, even with 2 Sydney teams playing.

Brutus

Referee
without being negative just reporting the facts

Most famous team in RL one game in Sydney, local rival, - 12k
GWS no one knows them in a shitty showground - 11k

We either need to sign up their marketing team, or worry

A very poor crowd at Kogarah.

Should have been at least over 16k. Gws was a night full of freebies, Victorian essingdon fans and crowd fudging. Still, the kogarah crowd and souths crowd the night before were just not good enough.

Souths need a return to the sfs.

In-goal

Bench
Maybe some of us have over inflated the popularity of some clubs?

For instance, stating some fans don't travel, pretty much states that some clubs have few real week to week supporters, by and large, clubs shouldn't bank on away support in a national comp anyway.

Not sure where you got the Bulldogs fan thing from in your first paragraph, I was referring to the Carney/Gallen absence resulting in a decrease of AWAY fans (i.e. SHARKS fans).

In that case, I repeat my first question: how many Sharks supports would attend a Monday night game at Homebush in ordinary circumstances? You're deluded if you think more than a handful of Sharks fans stayed away because of the absence of two key players.

As for Canberra, haven't most of the games you've hosted against them been at Campbelltown? In which case, you're their closest neighbour and it's much easier for away teams to attend...?

The Tigers' highest home crowd against Canberra was at Leichhardt in 2010 (19.5k). Campbelltown has hosted a number of Canberra games over the years and its relative proximity to Canberra (still 2hrs drive) might have brought a few hundred, but not thousands of extra Canberra fans.

Try:
"out of form team with big injury list vs dead last" - 12k
VS "new AFL club opening their newly renovated home ground" - 11k.

Just sayin.

Poor form? Unavailable players? An opposition coming last? I wonder if those excuses would wash for any team apart from your beloved Dragons or Bulldogs? Souths have had 22 years of mediocrity, perhaps you should cut them a bit of slack too? Parra managed a sell out against the Tigers only a few months ago despite each team being at the bottom of the ladder. Rivalry games should attract big crowds regardless of the form of each team.

Red Bear

Referee
In that case, I repeat my first question: how many Sharks supports would attend a Monday night game at Homebush in ordinary circumstances? You're deluded if you think more than a handful of Sharks fans stayed away because of the absence of two key players.

The Tigers' highest home crowd against Canberra was at Leichhardt in 2010 (19.5k). Campbelltown has hosted a number of Canberra games over the years and its relative proximity to Canberra (still 2hrs drive) might have brought a few hundred, but not thousands of extra Canberra fans.

Poor form? Unavailable players? An opposition coming last? I wonder if those excuses would wash for any team apart from your beloved Dragons or Bulldogs? Souths have had 22 years of mediocrity, perhaps you should cut them a bit of slack too? Parra managed a sell out against the Tigers only a few months ago despite each team being at the bottom of the ladder. Rivalry games should attract big crowds regardless of the form of each team.
:thumn

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Difference being you haven't averaged 15k since. We're now doing it in consecutive seasons.

eh?

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/parramatta.html

After we first averaged 20k in 86, we have been over 15k in 87, 90, 97, 99, 01, 05, 10, 11 and this season so far.

23,266 was our biggest ever average in 99 which is bigger than every Bulldogs average bar this year, yet the dogs still have a few crap teams to play in the coming weeks and months.

azza29

Juniors
11k - using the Politis method of home crowd accountancy no doubt. Plus $300k worth of free tickets courtesy of Wagga council. :lol:

I was there (Bombers supporter), 11k seemed about right. Not sure how they'll draw against a team like Freo that don't travel interstate though. Would have been about 5-6k Bombers fans at least.

Nice stadium though, plenty of good standing room that bigger grounds like the MCG just don't have.

BunniesMan

Immortal
eh?

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/parramatta.html

After we first averaged 20k in 86, we have been over 15k in 87, 90, 97, 99, 01, 05, 10, 11 and this season so far.

23,266 was our biggest ever average in 99 which is bigger than every Bulldogs average bar this year, yet the dogs still have a few crap teams to play in the coming weeks and months.
You should know 99 deservers an asterisk. That 108k crowd has a massive effect on that 23k average,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts