What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
God the marketing of the games has been shit in the past few weeks...

I reckon I listen / watch 30 hours of tv radio a week, and wouldn't know what games are even on, if I didn't check it all myself.

Hype is ZERO. at the moment...

Souths game could have been pumped up massively,

Brutus

Referee
The way Origin engulfs the media even a week after is a disgrace.

The ARLC must ensure extra promotion is thrown at the NRL Origin rounds.

DC_fan

Coach
God the marketing of the games has been shit in the past few weeks...

I reckon I listen / watch 30 hours of tv radio a week, and wouldn't know what games are even on, if I didn't check it all myself.

Hype is ZERO. at the moment...

Souths game could have been pumped up massively,

Could have and should have been.

Then we may have got the 50,000 I was hoping for.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Could it maybe be that league is so good to watch on TV ? AFL isn't as suited to TV due to the nature of the game.

This is the biggest RL myth going.
Why NRL is better to watch from the stands:
1. Watching NRL on TV does not allow you to see how teams structures are taking shape, how defensive lines are marking up, how teams with the ball are setting for the next play etc.
2. Being at the game and close to the action you can hear and almost feel the hits
3. The atmosphere of the crowd adds to the game, on TV all you can hear is the ref coaching the players

re AFL, it is a struggle to watch from the stand unless you have superman like vision. The pitch is so big that you end up watching most of the game on the big screens unless the action is in the third of the field nearest you.

It's rubbish to suggest NRL is somehow better on tv than at the game or that AFL is the reverse.

And on that note I am going to grab my brollie and raincoat and head to ANZ for what should be a great night out for any RL fan!

azza29

Juniors
So what is the reason for the AFL trumping the NRL easily in membership and crowd numbers?

- strong attendance culture, which leads to a strong membership culture
- kids tickets are super cheap, making it a reasonably priced day out for the family
- clubs in Melbourne play out of one of two stadiums, each with at least one train station within a two minute walk

Basically people go because it's part of their routine, and it's cheap and easy to attend.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
This is the biggest RL myth going.
Why NRL is better to watch from the stands:
1. Watching NRL on TV does not allow you to see how teams structures are taking shape, how defensive lines are marking up, how teams with the ball are setting for the next play etc.
2. Being at the game and close to the action you can hear and almost feel the hits
3. The atmosphere of the crowd adds to the game, on TV all you can hear is the ref coaching the players

re AFL, it is a struggle to watch from the stand unless you have superman like vision. The pitch is so big that you end up watching most of the game on the big screens unless the action is in the third of the field nearest you.

It's rubbish to suggest NRL is somehow better on tv than at the game or that AFL is the reverse.

And on that note I am going to grab my brollie and raincoat and head to ANZ for what should be a great night out for any RL fan!

Mate, you know its a good game for TV when when you get a crappy seat, such as on the try line, and the ball is down the other end, you turn to watch the big screen.

Go to the stadium to essentially watch the game on TV when the ball is more than 50 metres away.

DC_fan

Coach
Can someone please post that prediction of 50 k please

f**k me I'm over this

I posted the prediction of 50,000 for the Souths/Canterbury game. In my opinion it's a game should have pulled a crowd of, if not 50,000 then very close to it. If this game cannot get that sort of crowd then I don't know what game would.

Obviously the weather has influenced some to stay away. But it shouldn't have effected it to the degree it appears it has. As much I can tell the crowd hasn't even reached 20,000.

But before we criticise league fans for not attending games, if you can take a look at the at the Waratah v Hurricanes game at the SFS. Their is next to no one there. Even the Melbourne v Essendon AFL game has a lot of empty seats.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Souths can get 50k in George St on a sunny Sunday afternoon if it is a question of them against Murdoch/nine/NRL but if you think they can get the same number at a game you are dreaming.

DC no Sydney H&A game has got more than 42K in 39 years - why do you think this will suddenly change?

Status
Not open for further replies.