What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Was a great game and big raps to the Souths fans who created a great atmosphere in a shocking stadium for club RL.

re weather, what softies Sydney folk are! if you call that bad weather you have clearly never been to RL games in the northern hemisphere. Left Darling Harbour at 6pm and didn't get wet once getting to the game, sat near the front on the 50m line and didn't get wet, wasn't that cold. You call that bad weather?

To everyone who didn't go you missed a tremendous game and a great event. Agree about the advertising, non existant in Sydney in the three days I have been travelling around.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Was a great game and big raps to the Souths fans who created a great atmosphere in a shocking stadium for club RL.

re weather, what softies Sydney folk are! if you call that bad weather you have clearly never been to RL games in the northern hemisphere. Left Darling Harbour at 6pm and didn't get wet once getting to the game, sat near the front on the 50m line and didn't get wet, wasn't that cold. You call that bad weather?

To everyone who didn't go you missed a tremendous game and a great event. Agree about the advertising, non existant in Sydney in the three days I have been travelling around.

I agree. Wouldnt say the rain cut the crowd in half or anything close to it. Was simply never getting near 40k due to 1. origin 2. not marketed as an event 3. rain 4. lazy souths fans

seriously from a neutral point of view, it was 4:1 in favour of bulldogs and thats being generous to souths.

ps bulldogs have the best game day atmosphere, plenty going on pre match and half time. Bouncy castle for the kids, face painting etc... But $20 for two mid strength bundy's is joke of the century :x

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You're using the Titans game as an example, are you? Well f**k me senseless. They probably only drew 30,000 because the Titans were towards the bottom of the ladder and in the headlines with financial issues at the time you stooge. Souffs and Canterbury were fighting for a spot in the top 4.
I'm not saying it to be objectionable, the crowds in Brisbane ARE down. In fact the only increase recorded this year on last from what I can see is the double header.

43,171 Round 2 v Cowboys
38,012 Round 5 v Dragons
30,017 Round 7 v Raiders
30,083 Round 8 v Titans
Double Header 41,273 v Manly (+Dogs v Titans)

No doubt they're all better than most of the crowds seen in Sydney (as they should be with far less teams), but I've seen games v Cowboys draw 48k, 50k in recent years and the Titans draw 40k+

There's no two ways about it, 19k was disappointing but a day of torrential rain, a Saturday 7:30 kickoff (shouldve been FNF or Sunday footy), and a lack of promotion were all big factors.

I had to laugh everytime ground announcer said "come on doggies fans let's make some noise" and there were more boos from the BiG20 supporters than cheering - very sad no?:cool:

Might have been that way in the Souffs corner, but the rest of the ground drowned the poor f**kers out. 23-18, end of :)

:lol: get a clue.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
You're using the Titans game as an example, are you? Well f**k me senseless. They probably only drew 30,000 because the Titans were towards the bottom of the ladder and in the headlines with financial issues at the time you stooge. Souffs and Canterbury were fighting for a spot in the top 4.

Silly Qld merkin.

Broncos Titans and Cowboys crowds have all declined over the past 3 seasons. Sydney crowds have actually increased in that time.

I agree. Wouldnt say the rain cut the crowd in half or anything close to it. Was simply never getting near 40k due to 1. origin 2. not marketed as an event 3. rain 4. lazy souths fans

seriously from a neutral point of view, it was 4:1 in favour of bulldogs and thats being generous to souths.

ps bulldogs have the best game day atmosphere, plenty going on pre match and half time. Bouncy castle for the kids, face painting etc... But $20 for two mid strength bundy's is joke of the century :x

Yup, there was only around 4k of them max ! They were all in one corner; the rest of the stadium was us.

On the crowd though, the Bulldogs and the Rabitohs have a massive contingent of families that come to games and I think the rain would have turned many away. I mean I took my little cousin to the game and I regret it because it was very uncomfortable to sit in that weather.

It was a crap crowd and I admit it, but we don't deserve all the flack we're getting because the rain did have an affect.

is perth red one big troll?

He's a genius, who rarely contributes in this thread.

He and teddy boy constantly bag RL.

docbrown

Coach
Say Stadium Australia did have its roof, do you think people would still have gone out to the game and drawn that 30k+

azza29

Juniors
Because I don't understand why Rugby League can be so hit and miss with support yet Soccer,Rugby Union and Aussie Rules don't seem to have crowd problems.

I can only speak for Melbourne-based crowds but:
- Victory have been struggling for support this year, even with Kewell playing their attendances (and interest) are down. And the Heart can still fit their entire fan base in a Tarago.
- Rebels are only two years old but there's been a definite drop in the number of general admission attendees (i.e. casual fans) this year.
- AFL crowds are all over the place but a few of this year's blockbuster matches have had closer to 70k than the 80-90k expected.

It's not just a league thing, people are concerned about the economy so they're spending less on things like going to the footy.

On a positive note Storm's crowds are slightly up (avg of 14477 compared to 14246 last year). Record average was 14670 in 2010 so with 6 games to go that could still be broken.

big country

Juniors
Bulldogs must have the quietest set of supporters cos the only time they made any noise was when they were assured of a win at the end - max of 7k doggies there at their home game - a very soft supporter base!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts