What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
Wrong like usual.

To take maximum advantage of Easter Friday it has to be the ANZ stadium teams playing each other. Because you get both sets of fans in for free as well as the crowds from the Show.

Souths v Bulldogs has to become an annual tradition on Easter Friday.

:shock:

Don't let it go to your head but you are correct.

docbrown

Coach
Lol thanks Doc. And Todd Greenberg tweeted the following:
Fingers crossed that means it is being turned into an annual tradition.

Rated 543k in the 5 capitals.
The night game rated 722k in the 5 capitals.

Last year the 2 Friday Night Easter games rated 1000k combined in Sydney & Brisbane

This year in the 5 capitals they rated 1265k combined but the benefit is that instead of coverage running 7:30pm to 11:30pm the viewers tune in at 3:30pm and go through till 10:00pm.

I can't see the NRL dropping it. I still think though that if Storm vs Dragons were the night game in Melbourne you'd see an even bigger audience, hence why Tigers v Broncos should be on another night, preferably Thursday.

Of course again this is assuming F2A coverage of more than just 3 games.

I mean talk about "packages" when it comes to splitting up the rights. GOOD FRIDAY Arvo & Night doubleheader. If 7 bought that and tied the Storm night game into the telethon coverage it'd be massive.

Last edited:

azza29

Juniors
I mean talk about "packages" when it comes to splitting up the rights. GOOD FRIDAY Arvo & Night doubleheader. If 7 bought that and tied the Storm night game into the telethon coverage it'd be massive.

Solid idea. Given the AFL have stated they won't be playing on Good Friday anytime soon, and there is bugger all else to do since everything is shut, it's a huge opportunity for the NRL to attract more casual fans down here.

docbrown

Coach
Solid idea. Given the AFL have stated they won't be playing on Good Friday anytime soon, and there is bugger all else to do since everything is shut, it's a huge opportunity for the NRL to attract more casual fans down here.

Well I know that they do the coverage out of Docklands media rooms so they could play the game in the stadium itself. If it were against the Dragons you'd also pull big Sydney & Brisbane numbers and the whole thing would get more exposure then what the telethon does by itself alone.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Myself and others have mentioned it a few times tonight. Souths v Bulldogs just has to become an annual Easter Friday tradition to take maximum advantage of Easter show crowds. It's the perfect storm for getting an annual blockbuster crowd in the early part of the season.
Absolutely - as long as we alternate who gets the home gate. The days of your mob continually getting credit for the big crowd we pull have to stop :p

Forget Bulldogs and Souths on Good Friday. If you want 40k+ put the Bulldogs and Dragons on at 4pm. You will easily get that and most likely more.
Must agree with the concept but...
Wrong like usual.

To take maximum advantage of Easter Friday it has to be the ANZ stadium teams playing each other. Because you get both sets of fans in for free as well as the crowds from the Show.

Souths v Bulldogs has to become an annual tradition on Easter Friday.
... I agree with Bunniesman (#-o). The combination of membership reciprocal rights is perfect. Just needs a bit more promotion and more integration with the Easter Show and it's a recipe for annual 50k+, provided the weather is okay.
the ANZ crowd was OK ... about what should have turned up given the fine weather & it being a holiday n all

lets hope it continues with Shark Park's gates having to be closed tonite
& Hunter Stadium getting another monster crowd tomorrow

we won't be too far off 2011 attendances's after 6 rounds & should over take last year in the coming weeks.
We're looking at a great weekend.

BUT.

Allianz last night.... 17,556?

Really?

:lol:

rooster25

Juniors
The souths bulldogs game at 4pm works great,especially with the easter show on. then the 730pm should revert back to its original good friday match of the sydney roosters vs brisbane broncos. why the west tigers would be given this game in the eastern suburbs ill never know. For years everyone went to the roosters vs broncos game on the friday night then the races on the sat every easter weekend. why mess with what had become a tradition for so many people. A tigers game on easter sunday arvo at Leichhardt would be a much better game and timeslot for everyone.

I do agree though that a game in melboune on good friday would be great with no AFL on.

docbrown

Coach
The souths bulldogs game at 4pm works great,especially with the easter show on. then the 730pm should revert back to its original good friday match of the sydney roosters vs brisbane broncos. why the west tigers would be given this game in the eastern suburbs ill never know. For years everyone went to the roosters vs broncos game on the friday night then the races on the sat every easter weekend. why mess with what had become a tradition for so many people. A tigers game on easter sunday arvo at Leichhardt would be a much better game and timeslot for everyone.

I do agree though that a game in melboune on good friday would be great with no AFL on.

It's probably doubtful that there'd be 3 games on a Friday if Melbourne wise up. I'm guessing Saturday night is probably out given everyone's probably hammered after the races.

My suggestion and I'd i'm interested in your opinion on it, what about Roosters vs Eels @ SFS on Monday afternoon.

As the only game in Sydney that day and with the Eels having a pretty large fanbase, it could draw a decent crowd.

I kind of like the idea of the Homebush derby on the Friday arvo and an SFS derby on the Monday arvo.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Absolutely - as long as we alternate who gets the home gate. The days of your mob continually getting credit for the big crowd we pull have to stop :p

Must agree with the concept but...

... I agree with Bunniesman (#-o). The combination of membership reciprocal rights is perfect. Just needs a bit more promotion and more integration with the Easter Show and it's a recipe for annual 50k+, provided the weather is okay.

:lol:
Ofcourse, I don't mind the Rabbitoh Army helping build up your averages every 2nd Easter.:cool:

Since the AFL doesn't play on Good Friday Melbourne really should host the other game every year.

Then we have two blockbuster games, one takes advantage of Dogs/Souths reciprocal rights as well as the Easter show, the other takes advantage of the AFL not having a stranglehold on Melbournes attention on Good Friday.

That way every year on Easter Friday we have a game at Homebush and a game at Melbourne taking advantage of favourable circumstances. Should get two strong crowds every year.

DC_fan

Coach
Ofcourse, I don't mind the Rabbitoh Army helping build up your averages every 2nd Easter.:cool:

Since the AFL doesn't play on Good Friday Melbourne really should host the other game every year.

Then we have two blockbuster games, one takes advantage of Dogs/Souths reciprocal rights as well as the Easter show, the other takes advantage of the AFL not having a stranglehold on Melbournes attention on Good Friday.

That way every year on Easter Friday we have a game at Homebush and a game at Melbourne taking advantage of favourable circumstances. Should get two strong crowds every year.

Actually I would take it a step furthers and have three EAster Friday games.

One in Brisbane with the Broncos playing a selected team. Another in Melbourne and Souths v Bulldogs here in Sydney.

docbrown

Coach
Actually I would take it a step furthers and have three EAster Friday games.

One in Brisbane with the Broncos playing a selected team. Another in Melbourne and Souths v Bulldogs here in Sydney.

I think 720k in the 5 capitals for the Friday night game is something to build on. I would suggest that maybe a Brisbane night game wouldn't add too much to that.

I'd rather see the Broncos play on the Thursday night in Sydney and totally overshadow the AFL game and then have a second Brisbane :)cool:) team play against a Sydney/NSW team on Sunday night at Lang Park.

rooster25

Juniors
It's probably doubtful that there'd be 3 games on a Friday if Melbourne wise up. I'm guessing Saturday night is probably out given everyone's probably hammered after the races.

My suggestion and I'd i'm interested in your opinion on it, what about Roosters vs Eels @ SFS on Monday afternoon.

As the only game in Sydney that day and with the Eels having a pretty large fanbase, it could draw a decent crowd.

I kind of like the idea of the Homebush derby on the Friday arvo and an SFS derby on the Monday arvo.

I think the souths vs bulldogs game at 4pm is a must. Then the NRL must decide whether to have another sydney game or a melbourne game. If they go with a sydney game it must be roosters vs broncos at the SFS at 730. If they go with the melbourne game which would be a great idea then i like your idea of a monday arvo match. I would go with roosters vs either tigers or parra at sfs which would both draw well. The brisbane fans would only come down for a friday night game as they then go to the races on the sat which is why it worked so well.

docbrown

Coach
I think the souths vs bulldogs game at 4pm is a must. Then the NRL must decide whether to have another sydney game or a melbourne game. If they go with a sydney game it must be roosters vs broncos at the SFS at 730. If they go with the melbourne game which would be a great idea then i like your idea of a monday arvo match. I would go with roosters vs either tigers or parra at sfs which would both draw well. The brisbane fans would only come down for a friday night game as they then go to the races on the sat which is why it worked so well.

I'm guessing then that they must stay for Sunday then.

Perhaps then the better arrangement is

Thursday Night - Knights v Brisbane II - Newcastle (don't want another game in Sydney but needs to be NSW v QLD oriented)
Friday Arvo - Rabbitohs v Bulldogs - Homebush
Friday Night - Storm v Dragons - Docklands
Sunday Arvo - Tigers v Broncos - SFS
Monday Arvo - Roosters v Eels (still think this should be a Sydney derby) - SFS

For travelling Broncos & other fans set up a holiday package - Easter Show, Races, Sunday SFS game and neutral seats for SFS on Monday.

My preference though is for a Sunday night game at Suncorp still as I think that too would be a big game.

Last edited:

kkingston

Juniors
Less than 1000 tickets left at Toyota Stadium. Should be a ripper crowd. Not sure what capacity is these days

H.H

Juniors
Agree 100% and I'm wondering what the f**k we did to lose it in the 1st place??!!

Last year it fell on the ANZAC weekend so fair enough, but don't see why it couldn't pick up again this year. Tigers didn't do any better than us crowd wise.

Could live with a Melbourne Dragons game in Melbourne as they did that in 2010 with great success (and I'm a believer of growing the game down there)....but if not that, then give us our f**king game back please.

Titans vs Roosters will typically be around 13k. If the Titans were have put in some good winning form by now, the crowd could have reached close to 20k. Capacity for Toyota Stadium is 22,000 though they never seem to cross the 19,000 mark so hopefully that mark can be broken tonight.

Suitman

Post Whore
Titans vs Roosters will typically be around 13k. If the Titans were have put in some good winning form by now, the crowd could have reached close to 20k. Capacity for Toyota Stadium is 22,000 though they never seem to cross the 19,000 mark so hopefully that mark can be broken tonight.

Record at Brookvale is over 27000, and Leichhardt over 23000, but I don't think they let that many into these grounds these days for safety reasons. If they fit 22000 into Cronulla tonight they might have to rename it Sardine Park.

Suity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts