What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Reality is most Sydney teams have 10-14k paying customers. That varies by a couple of thousand depending on form and weather. It is only when two Sydney teams are playing each other do you see a significant change in home crowd size ie Dragons v Sharks last week when the crowd is boosted by two sets of fans. How often do you see 20K+ crowds for Sydney games against out of town teams? When you look across the NRL there really isn't much difference in paying fanbase of any club except Brisbane. How to get that home fanbase of 10-14k up to 20k is the big challenge facing clubs and we won't see any significant change in avg annual attendences until it is addressed.

Brisbane has around 30k paying fans, that is a decent size home crowd and comparable with majority of the best supported teams in any code in the country.

Very spot on post.

beave

Coach
Good crowd in Darwin, a lot more than what would have been in attendance at the SFS.

Hopefully the chooks take all their home games there against us......

Good crowd in Darwin, a lot more than what would have been in attendance at the SFS.

Hopefully the chooks take all their home games there against us......
Would be good.
But Jesus the humidity is a killer..
If the IC does look at games in Darwin in future,then i think they would have to be scheduled mid winter.

I cant see any professional sport having a full time team up there..

DC_fan

Coach
Reality is most Sydney teams have 10-14k paying customers. That varies by a couple of thousand depending on form and weather. It is only when two Sydney teams are playing each other do you see a significant change in home crowd size ie Dragons v Sharks last week when the crowd is boosted by two sets of fans. How often do you see 20K+ crowds for Sydney games against out of town teams? When you look across the NRL there really isn't much difference in paying fanbase of any club except Brisbane. How to get that home fanbase of 10-14k up to 20k is the big challenge facing clubs and we won't see any significant change in avg annual attendences until it is addressed.

Brisbane has around 30k paying fans, that is a decent size home crowd and comparable with majority of the best supported teams in any code in the country.

I know this season is still very young. But these figures are from this season

As of the end of R6 we have had seventeen games played between two Sydney teams Of those games four have topped 20,000 including one that was over 35,000. We have had two games under 10,000. The average crowd is 17,885.

For the same period we have had nine games played in Sydney involving an out of Sydney team. Of those games we have one that topped 20,000. We have none of these games with a crowd less then 10,000. The average crowd is 14,629.

I understand where you are coming from. But what this season has shown is that their isn't a whole lot of difference in average crowds between games involving two Sydney teams as opposed to games involving just one.

But it's early days and the gap could widen or even narrow as the season moves along.

Last edited:

nqboy

First Grade
Good crowd for Melbourne. Some of that can be attributed to Doggies fans but I wonder if we are starting to get the benefit of FTA footy down there generating some interest.

11,619 at brookie
Looked more than that but unsurprising given the Titans form before tonight

TIO stadium looked reasonably full but sh*t ground to watch at with the crowd on halfway 50m from the sideline and at ground level. Still, if they're prepared to pay, the Chooks have a moral imperative to part fools from their money.

Last edited:

pcpp

Juniors
Last year the AFL got 7,255 and 11,506 in Darwin. So not a bad crowd.

Titans win comes at a good time, hopefully it means a few more thousand to the SEQ derby.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
10000 is decent in Darwin. Very interesting that even though it was a roosters home game all the media outlets in the territory were plugging and featuring the cowboys.

BDR

First Grade
10000 is decent in Darwin. Very interesting that even though it was a roosters home game all the media outlets in the territory were plugging and featuring the cowboys.

We flew into Darwin Tuesday morning and did PR work all week, visiting schools etc. We also have a decent fanbase in NT due to our indigenous image and players like Bowen and Thurston who are popular with the indigenous crowd.

As far as I'm aware the Roosters flew into Darwin Thursday evening

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
We flew into Darwin Tuesday morning and did PR work all week, visiting schools etc. We also have a decent fanbase in NT due to our indigenous image and players like Bowen and Thurston who are popular with the indigenous crowd.

As far as I'm aware the Roosters flew into Darwin Thursday evening

Mate the cowboys should be very proud of the work they do in the community. Twice in the last 2 years they've come to the territory and both times the praise for their efforts couldn't be higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts