What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013 - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC_fan

Coach
RL in NT is growing strongly, with a little more effort RL could be the clear number one code in the territory. How is it not worth it?

I know this is not the thread for this discussion, but I think the NRL needs to push in areas of the country that they see a real future in. I just don't see a need for them to be doing that in the NT. It has a very small population and most likely always will. If are not the #1 sport there I don't see it as a problem for the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know this is not the thread for this discussion, but I think the NRL needs to push in areas of the country that they see a real future in. I just don't see a need for them to be doing that in the NT. It has a very small population and most likely always will. If are not the #1 sport there I don't see it as a problem for the game.

The ARL's remit is to grow the game of RL, that includes everywhere. The NRL is a good vehicle to help do that. The ARL would be failing in their goals if they did nothing to grow the game in NT or anywhere else inAustralia.

I'd rather see NT kids growing up playing and watching RL than afl!

This year the NRL will play games in 13 of the top 15 population centres of Australia. Pretty decent effort at spreading the game.

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore

You serious?

The troop 'rotations' of american soldiers is realistically a precursor to something much bigger, and that probsbly includes deployments for training purposes by other regional allies. It is the closest large settlement to South East Asia and more and more businesses are taking advantage of that. It already has more international flights than Adelaide and new routes are popping up annually. Darwin is going to explode soon.

Perth Red

Post Whore
f**k off back to AFL gimp.

The cowboys should be pushing into the NT. The game is popular here and if a team adopted the NT it would thrive.

130k in Darwin, take a pre season and regular game there and ad 5000-10'000 to your membership!

With the Brothers NRL bid having a brothers fraternity in nt maybe they will be the club to seriously adopt Darwin in the future if they get in?

DC_fan

Coach
For mine the NRL needs to utilise its resources in the best possible way. I don't see a push in to Darwin being the right thing.

Teddyboy

First Grade
RL in NT is growing strongly, with a little more effort RL could be the clear number one code in the territory. How is it not worth it?

It doesn't seem to be growing in it's homeland of Sydney so would rather see a 8000-12000 crowd packed into a smaller non NRL then 12000 at Skilled Park and Kogarah.

Perth Red

Post Whore
For mine the NRL needs to utilise its resources in the best possible way. I don't see a push in to Darwin being the right thing.

This game would have likely only got 10-13k on the Gold Coast, nothing lost, plenty gained. NT have become increasingly competitive in the affiliated states championships and now are right up there challenging wa and Victoria. They are also producing Jnr's for the NRL increasing the talent poll. Again I ask you why it isn't worth one game out of 170+ and who is missing out from a game being played in Darwin?

DC_fan

Coach
This game would have likely only got 10-13k on the Gold Coast, nothing lost, plenty gained. NT have become increasingly competitive in the affiliated states championships and now are right up there challenging wa and Victoria. They are also producing Jnr's for the NRL increasing the talent poll. Again I ask you why it isn't worth one game out of 170+ and who is missing out from a game being played in Darwin?

I don't see any long term value in taking an NRL game to Darwin. We never going to have an NRL team based there. The fact that last year was the first time in 15 years that we took a game there has to tell you something. Yet the game drew 10,000.

I would rather see a game like this taken somewhere which will be of long term benefit to the game even if it is overseas.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I don't see any long term value in taking an NRL game to Darwin. We never going to have an NRL team based there. The fact that last year was the first time in 15 years that we took a game there has to tell you something. Yet the game drew 10,000.

I would rather see a game like this taken somewhere which will be of long term benefit to the game even if it is overseas.

What happened to that Canberra/Many game in China?

Perth Red

Post Whore

You seem to be confusing NRL expansion with what is good for the game. Yes Darwin will never host an NRL team but RL could be number one in nt adding to TV viewers, club memberships and people playing the game. How that isn't worth one NRL game a year is beyond reason.

The reason there wasn't a game there in 15 years is because RL has been an insular short sighted code with little ambition beyond its traditional confines. Hopefully that is starting g to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.